Dont Attend ATP

RAL was a rocking location from what I remember D/D cafe and all. Its like I said go to the smaller locations. You dont need any corporate "chief pilots" walking around busting you out of the program. I learned more from the chief mechanic.
I made a bad decision going to a location where you can fly everyday. I'm from the midwest so I was sick of weather related delays. But at ATP you want weather related delays, to chair fly or study etc. I'm not a slacker and I knew many people who attended ATP who were not slackers and had rough time on a rating etc. What ATP does may come back to bite them one day. The boom is over so ATP's insane pace looses some appeal. I'm going to a older respected CFI school. Its a month long and I'm taking my time studying the PTS and flying the maneuvers prior to heading out. With the amount of people that were washed out at my location I'm very surprised that their are not more negative posts here. Some people did deserve it, many did not. I agree somewhat with the "machine" analogy. However its not a "machine" its bad management. A company that has grown too quickly without more oversite. Management creates the environment which the student operates. Things are the way they are because management wants it and fosters that environment. The CFI's are tools to be used. Some are very good. Most are good enough, some are outright bad. Please be careful ATP is NOT what its cracked up to be.

TOS

"Is there any other program that will get your from Private Pilot to CMEL, Instrument, CFI,II,MEI in 90 days? No, not that I know of."

No, and that's a good thing....

Going through all those ratings that fast is a bad idea. You get all these "licenses to learn" all at once without taking the time to do the "learn" part in between. And then you go out and teach the next poor newb...

What do you call the minimum 85 hours required before you can start, +25 PIC XC hours. What do you call the time building phase between Instrument and Commercial? Your welcome to your oppinion but im sorry its flat out wrong.

ATP students build the same experiance that anyone else builds at an FBO, they just fly more often which is why it gets done quicker. The only part where experiance may be lacking is when your at CFI school.

What do you call the minimum 85 hours required before you can start, +25 PIC XC hours.

85 hours...Big freaking deal. I call that about any 3 weeks of log book time over any of the past couple months.

85 hours +25 PIC XC hours....laughable.

Not feeling the laughs today huh?

Seems to be a bug going around this place.

The inability to laugh. No cure as of yet.
No just your righteous attitude since you started sitting in the right sit of a CRJ.

Making fun of someone who ends up in the same seat as you seems pretty ridiculous.
Each to their own.

Before I went to ATP I went on these forums and it scared me to death about everyone here saying its soo hard and way to fast, and many people drop out. I almost didnt go because everyone saying it was like a fire-hose etc. However I went and did not find it that difficult. I mean common, How hard is it to learn to shoot approaches, and a learn a few more maneuvers?. You already know how to fly, Your writtens should be done. It still amazes me why it takes people beyond 90 days to do all this at a FBO. Why not get the training all over with, and then get paid to fly all while still learning? Its not like you stop learning the instant you get done with your training. You will still get to fly in all 4 seasons of weather, its just the last 2 you'll be getting paid to do it.

What do you call the minimum 85 hours required before you can start, +25 PIC XC hours. What do you call the time building phase between Instrument and Commercial? Your welcome to your oppinion but im sorry its flat out wrong.

ATP students build the same experiance that anyone else builds at an FBO, they just fly more often which is why it gets done quicker. The only part where experiance may be lacking is when your at CFI school.

Well to be quite honest I call the PIC time in which Private students log in actual while having a CFI in the right seat ILLEGAL. However ATP is known for distorting the regulations and getting DPE's to buy it. If they dont the DPE's no longer are allowed to do checkrides for atp.

Also I would say coming from someone who has family in the BUISNESS. You should know that Don who works for UPS is speaking from his personal experience. I guarnatee it that he knows a heck of a lot more about the real world then you and I do combine. In addition he knows though experience why he has his feelings the way he does. In addition as he already said and it cant be worded any more correct you are getting liscense to learn. How much are you learning when your liscense all come in 90 days. Its a valid point.

Also one last thing how much time of that is SOLO? How many students actually fly their cross countries with a HOOD on? How much of that time should we take away due to it not actually being safety pilot time when the hood isnt being worn? We can continue on if you would like. Basically in the end I'm saying that yes things are working out so far for you at ATP. And that's great. However there are some people on here who know quite a bit themselves and Don being one. I'd really take a few minutes to put some thought into what he has to say. Its got some validity to it.

Well to be quite honest I call the PIC time in which Private students log in actual while having a CFI in the right seat ILLEGAL. However ATP is known for distorting the regulations and getting DPE's to buy it. If they dont the DPE's no longer are allowed to do checkrides for atp.

Also I would say coming from someone who has family in the BUISNESS. You should know that Don who works for UPS is speaking from his personal experience. I guarnatee it that he knows a heck of a lot more about the real world then you and I do combine. In addition he knows though experience why he has his feelings the way he does. In addition as he already said and it cant be worded any more correct you are getting liscense to learn. How much are you learning when your liscense all come in 90 days. Its a valid point.

Also one last thing how much time of that is SOLO? How many students actually fly their cross countries with a HOOD on? How much of that time should we take away due to it not actually being safety pilot time when the hood isnt being worn? We can continue on if you would like. Basically in the end I'm saying that yes things are working out so far for you at ATP. And that's great. However there are some people on here who know quite a bit themselves and Don being one. I'd really take a few minutes to put some thought into what he has to say. Its got some validity to it.

I did, and I understand sort of where he is coming from. Look at it from this angle.

2 Commercial pilots each having 350 hours.

Pilot A- Spent 5 years at an FBO getting to his multi commercial and 350 hours, he only flew once or twice a week, sometimes he only flew a couple times a month.

Pilot B - Went to ATP, spent around 90 days...

Both pilots have the same amount of experiance, but according to Don... Pilot A is somehow more experianced than Pilot B simply because he went to an FBO and spent years getting his license... That does not and will not make sense to me. Sure ATP costs more but that is a choice, the training is no differant.

Information grows and matures over time. There is a lot more to learning aside from what a book tells you. Unfortunately, you are being asked to learn so much information in a 90 day period, that you simply don't have time to sit back, think, and explore theory's and idea's, because you will end up 5 lessons behind.

You need to slow your roll 3 engine. I'm fairly new to this game of being a professional pilot, but if there is one thing i've learned, it's sit back and listen. There will ALWAYS be people with more time, experience, flown more airplanes, and that have been there and done that than you.

I am listening to people, im listening to my uncle who has been flying for airlines since he was 19. Im listening to my godfather who also has been flying since he was 20. My grandfather who flew Connies and DC6's, who is still now a FAA inspector. My father who has been a FE since he was 19 on a DC8, 707 and 727. I could go on for awhile listing various cousins and family friends but whats the point. Not one has told me that ATP is a bad choice or recommended otherwise.

All of these people tell me that I am doing a great job and I made the correct choice. I did not have to get a loan to go to ATP which is why I dont have to deal with the whole debt thing, I got an inheritance that paid for ATP. I also have a job waiting for me as soon as I get my multi-commercial (im still getting the CFI's just incase I ever want to instruct). So getting the ratings quickly was a major + for me.

Im not trying to boast, im just letting you know why I get upset when someone starts spreading complete crap about a school simply because they get you done with your ratings in 90 days. Dont like the school? Dont go. But dont knock the ones that do.

I did, and I understand sort of where he is coming from. Look at it from this angle.

2 Commercial pilots each having 350 hours.

Pilot A- Spent 5 years at an FBO getting to his multi commercial and 350 hours, he only flew once or twice a week, sometimes he only flew a couple times a month.

Pilot B - Went to ATP, spent around 90 days...

Both pilots have the same amount of experiance, but according to Don... Pilot A is somehow more experianced than Pilot B simply because he went to an FBO and spent years getting his license... That does not and will not make sense to me. Sure ATP costs more but that is a choice, the training is no differant.

The training is different, that's the whole point. ATP's training SUCKS. They train you for the test, and only for the test, they know exactly what you'll be tested on, and that's what you are taught. There is very little real-world experience, no creative thinking, not much thinking at all infact.

Were I in charge of hiring, I would hire the 350 hour guy with 25 multi-engine hours who puttered around the countryside by himself doing cross-countries to build his time over the 350 hour ATP grad who has 300 multi-engine hours.

Multi-engine time is a box to tick, that's all it is. It's not hard to fly a twin, no different than flying a complex single, until an engine packs it in, and anyone with real multi-engine time will have very little spent on one engine.

The training is different, that's the whole point. ATP's training SUCKS. They train you for the test, and only for the test, they know exactly what you'll be tested on, and that's what you are taught. There is very little real-world experience, no creative thinking, not much thinking at all infact.

Were I in charge of hiring, I would hire the 350 hour guy with 25 multi-engine hours who puttered around the countryside by himself doing cross-countries to build his time over the 350 hour ATP grad who has 300 multi-engine hours.

Multi-engine time is a box to tick, that's all it is. It's not hard to fly a twin, no different than flying a complex single, until an engine packs it in, and anyone with real multi-engine time will have very little spent on one engine.

I disagree and im glad your not in charge of hiring..

Good thing your not in charge of hiring :p

Seriously though.. both pilots from both schools have the same experience... For me... I remember more of my ATP experience just because that's all I ever did... my FBO private is almost totally faded away..

Just like learning a language.. I remember way more words when going to Mexico for a week vs taking a year of it at school.. that's just my style of learning.. some people like Don (UPS) may be different

In all reality getting your ratings is such a SMALL part of your flying career, I can barely even remember if I learned anything then. Just get the ratings cheapest way possible and start your life. 2 years down the road you will look back and see it didnt matter squat where you got it at.

Ah, the never-ending fast or slow entry method argument....

I'd be interested in a poll of fast-track graduates a few years down the road who realized once they were out in the real world just how much training they lacked by memorizing PTS standards. Those PTS standards are minimums for a reason.

I've done both fast and not-fast. I regret the fast part.

Fast- you learn to just pass PTS standards and checkrides. If you are motivated you can even get through - its not too tough.

Not-Fast- you learn to be a safe and really complete pilot. You truly correlate the knowledge, not just memorizing the PTS.

Make your own presumptions, but, listen to the guys on here with 1000s of hours that were flying when we were just glimmers in our parent's eyes. They have wisdom that just doesn't come from a zero to hero school.

Good thing your not in charge of hiring :p

Seriously though.. both pilots from both schools have the same experience... For me... I remember more of my ATP experience just because that's all I ever did... my FBO private is almost totally faded away..

I could be in charge of you passing IOE or not though. I don't care how the person I'm training got their initial training, but trust me, there is a difference, and the fast track is not the better one. Multi-engine time is total crap too. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference in whether they can make it through training, or how well they fly the airplane. Once you get an interview, and it's verified that you didn't lie about it, your time is thrown out the window.

A ton of multi-engine time may help you get an interview, MAYBE. However, the guy with the bare minimum time who had an internal recommendation will get one first. Don't have any inside connections? Create one. That's how I did it.

Just like learning a language.. I remember way more words when going to Mexico for a week vs taking a year of it at school.. that's just my style of learning.. some people like Don (UPS) may be different

I have no idea why you wrote this because it has nothing to do with the differences between fast-track and slow-track. Fast-track immerses you in a fabricated, completely spoon-fed, highly focused world. It is nothing at all like the real world, and does nothing to prepare you for it. Slow-track, generally, trains you in the real world, for the real world. As much as it is possible to do so anyway.

The high horse that some people sit on these days... im glad you guys are not in charge of anything otherwise you would require everyone have 1000 solo cross country hours to be eligable to take the instrument exam, and ATP would be forced to close down.

Seriously... its a flight school get over it. Dont like it? dont go... Dont like the way they teach? dont go... nuff said. Who the hell are you to make up imaginary hours needed to make up a complete pilot. I know for fact there are pilots out there 1000s of hours who are complete idiots but somehow managed to get a job.

If you pass the written exam and the checkride you qualify and EARNED that rating whether you self rightous people on here think so or not. That is FACT. No, passing the checkride does not mean you are now god and know everything there is to know. But it means the examiner thought you were qualified enough to use that rating/cert or he would not have signed your ticket.

Of course, you should not go out and shoot approaches in full IMC down to minimums the day after you pass the instrument. No one should, not the ATP grad or the guy who spent 20 years getting his instrument rating, even if he does happen to have 1000 solo VFR cross country hours.

For all the guys thinking of going to ATP and reading the crap that posted on this forum by old school people who just hate that people can get their ratings so fast because they could not or the people that couldnt hack the fast paced program. Dont listen to this, ask current ATP students and graduates (people who actually FINISHED the program through CFI school) what they think.

Dont buy into the lies that you will be a bad pilot, you will be just as good as the next guy. A pilot who trains at an FBO is not better than an ATP pilot. The training at ATP is just as good if not better than an FBO, you will have good instructors and there are some bad instructors just like an FBO. It is fast paced but if your instructor is good he will help you when you need it. ATP will work with you even if you fail a couple checkrides as long as you give the impression that you are atleast trying. If it looks like your being lazy and not studying or missing training days for stupid reasons they will not work with you.

If you get a bad instructor, you can call ATP up and request a differant one. I know this because the first thing my instructor told me was if I did not like the way he was teaching I could ask for a new instructor if I want to.

Take this from a current ATP student...

Yes ATP is expensive, if the price bothers you then dont go. If you can afford it and are willing to spend the money to go to ATP then go for it. The training is excellent. I was not told any lies, ATP does have agreements to get you an interview with lower minimums however none of those airlines are hiring.

There is a 10 month program but it is the same price as the 90 day so Id recommend going with the 90 day IF you can hack the fast pace. You dont get the apartment with the 10 month though.

Back