Dont Attend ATP

Putting down people and telling them to "grow a pair" when it comes to learning aviation is not a healthy nor mature approach.

Right there is a healthy example as to how time leads to experience and maturity, versus getting things done quickly.

It's the same reason a 30 year old chuckles at a 20 year old who says "I've been through a lot of things in my life;" and, a 40 year old chuckles at the 30 year old for the same reason.

Maturity and learning take time to build an overall experience.

One of my bigest perks about ATP is that most everyone who came out of their program cant really see anything except the airlines.

I just read a statistic that GA carries more passengers then all the airlines combined every day. Yet ATP and JC seems to think Airlines is what flying is all about. And oh my goodness I don't know how many times I hear from these pilots "when you get to the airlines you will really learn how to fly" My co worker has 7000 hours in the bush flying the small planes, and it was funny to hear a 1000 hour airline pilot asking this guy when hes going to get a "real job", and then he freaked out when he heard we was going into hard IMC in a Cessna with no auto pilot!!.

With all due respect sir, it is Airline Transport Professionals!! :D

If it wasn't geared towards getting people to their airline job than maybe it would be called "GAP", General Aviation Professionals. :p

Someone's ability is directly linked to their experience level. You could take a 7,000hr Airline Captain of a 737 and put him in a Bush plane and he'd probably kill himself. Likewise if you took the 7000hr bush pilot and put him in the 737 he'd probably kill himself as well. Its all relative. It doesn't mean one pilot is better than the other. What it does mean, is that the bush pilot knows his machine and his job better, the same can be said for the airline captain.

As far as here on JC, well "jet careers" largely encompasses the 121 world of aviation. Doug the founder holds one of the highest regarded positions in the industry too, so naturally those who wish to pursue an airline career will seek out advice to those who have accomplished what it is they want. Its not that there aren't many people out there that want to stay in GA, but this forum and certainly ATP, are more centered around the airlines.

Personally, after 2 years in the Airlines, I think I'm ready to hang myself. I love the job, but flying for peanuts and crappy benefits with no retirement benefits 20-30 years down the road starts to make you question whether this is a real career or just a short stint to have some fun. I'd love to explore other aviation avenues. I fly in the bush every night, just wish I got paid for it.

:laff:

You get all these "licenses to learn" all at once without taking the time to do the "learn" part in between.

I strongly agree, but not in the same way you'd expect. I can very easily move this argument forward from "1200 hrs around the patch don't make you a sangle pylutt freight dawg. Y'ain't lernt yet cuz y'ain't nearly died yet."

Then, "3000 hours as FO in a Dash 8 don't make you a all-yer-s**t-in-one-sock Captain oncet y'upgraded. Y'ain't had a 300 hour wonder nearly getcha perished yet. Y'ain't even nearly kilt y'self cuz y'ain't smart enough yet."

Ad nauseum.

Experience is the glue that keeps the whole mess together when the operation goes pear-shaped. Add every single cutesie saying about judgment and experience here for flavor, incidentally...

But yes, I agree...there is no time for mastery, just rotery (HA). The time comes later, and it will, and the experience expands, and the pilots develop.

And for what it's worth- I've flown with fresh out of ATP pilots here at PDT. They do a fine job----- with a LOT less attitude. YMMV.

Back