What this website is about

Im still bummed I missed NJC and I live in LAS. I did get to meet Tracy which was cool, we chatted about you all over a few beers. Unfortunently I was with my brother who has a wife and child at home so we had to cut it short. I will be there next year for sure and remember guys when ever any of you roll through Vegas hit me up. Im always down for a few drinks and some good conversation. If it wasnt for JC I would have never gotten of my butt to follow my dream. Even though pops was a pilot I have recieved more info and encouragement here then he ever gave me. Thanks everyone :nana2:

Anyone going to be in Cedar Rapids this weekend? I have a 33 hour overnight there Friday.

Maybe I can manage to get fogged in there again. ;) We'll see how the weather works out. Not a normal stop for me, but it's happened before.:insane:

Yep, Me, Dazzler, MinnesotaFlyer, MN(something) sorry Rich, elcaminosrule(n00b), MikeLewis, and a few others for sure.....

Now, I know I'm only here half the time, but come on now!!:)

I know there's been a lot of talk about NJC, but to be honest...I've never been to one. One of these days I'll make it out there, and hopefully I'll get to attend the Chi town one, but there are also so many people you can meet on here without going to the major functions...I've lost count of how many people on here I've met, in various cities across the Eastern 1/2 of the US.

If you don't know anybody, keep an eye out for people in your area. I mean, seriously, just look at the UND forum...who ever thought there'd be that much traffic for North Dakota; they have one of the most active spots on the web site, and I think they all know each other from the sound of it...I'd hope so, I mean it is North Dakota.:cool: :pirate:

It's been mentioned above, and I'll second the sentiments...this site is what you make of it. Yes, there is some equal love between freight dawgs and regional guys/gals :insane: , but it all comes down to us working for the same goals, or similar goals, anyways. As has been said before, we're all in this fight together.

Get active if you're just a lurker, and if you're active, make it a goal to meet people when you can.

NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!!!:)

go read the meet and greet forum. there are a ton of local things going on that no one knows about bc that forum doesn't get the traffic it deserves.

Yep, Me, Dazzler, MinnesotaFlyer, MN(something) sorry Rich, elcaminosrule(n00b), MikeLewis, and a few others for sure.....

The elusive elcaminosrule is from here?! Maybe this calls for a meetup. Is anyone interested? I don't know how often you guys all get together.

-C.

The elusive elcaminosrule is from here?! Maybe this calls for a meetup. Is anyone interested? I don't know how often you guys all get together.

-C.

I haven't seen many meet-ups here...we tried one when JohnnyB was here, and only a couple people showed up. Let me know when y'all decide to do it, and I'll try to make it. I'm here until next Thursday, then home until the following Wednesday, etc., etc. Put something in the M&G section and let's see if we can get a few people together this time.:)

I haven't seen many meet-ups here...we tried one when JohnnyB was here, and only a couple people showed up. Let me know when y'all decide to do it, and I'll try to make it. I'm here until next Thursday, then home until the following Wednesday, etc., etc. Put something in the M&G section and let's see if we can get a few people together this time.:)

I'll put something in the Meet & Greet section and send out PMs to the locals I know about, since that forum doesn't seem to be too active.

Is anyone from outside MSP going to be here anytime in the near future? Because maybe, just maybe, that will help decide a date.

-C.

FROGGY....quite the contrary my green lil' friend. I had already cubed the beer in my posting. See the wording below :)

"I know FROGGY would meet up for a beer or three :) right FROG?"

LOL. Actually, 1 cubed is still 1.
1x1x1=1
I was referring to cubing the 3!!!! 3x3x3= 27 :):nana2:

you know what i'd really like to see at this years NJC?

a few A&P guys... or a few of the ATC guys..Heck, we had a helo pilot last year (Chinook) and a few of JC Europe's guys that are attending JAA.. why not continue to extend to aviation "related"? I think it could be very beneficial for all around knowledge or what not.

I'm actually trying to get my A&P friend to come with me. The worst part is that Monday and Tuesday since we have classes.

You guys all rock, I have been here for almost two years now and you guys are the ones that are keepoing me positive about this career in such negative enviornment that I am in.
I hope to get up there one day and return the favor to the next guy!!!!

Of course it doesn't help that "prudes" like me aren't into the drinking scene either.

When I attended NJC, I took care of all the non-drinkers - we went to the strip club, wearing track suit bottoms and smoking cigars!!! it worked really well - we funded the development for the Wynn, and had a great time.

There are a couple things about NJC

Networking
Networking is not something you start to do before you a looking for a job to get a job - it is an ongoing process throughout your career. When you are a student pilot, networking with a CFI might allow to sit in the back on someone else's lesson, or if he is ferrying an airplane, maintaining currency, etc invite you along. You might get an opportunity to sit in an empty leg on a corporate jet. You might think this is a big deal, for these guys it is like you getting into their new car and taking you for a spin - they want to show off their toy! You might be lucky enough to meet MikeD, I can think of no better way to impress your gf than taking her to an airshow, watching the Stealth fly and nonchalantly drop that you know that guy who is flying it. Later take her to the roped off section, where Mike happily leads you passed the armed guard and proceeds to give you and your girl a private guided tour of the airplane - while everyone outside thinks who the hell is that lucky bastard!!! These are all opportunities you can easily get on JC before you even have your private, and I am sure there are many many more.

The People
Pilots are an incredibly friendly, welcoming group of guys. You do not need any qualifications to fit into this group of guys - even if you are still reviewing flight schools you are welcome and will fit in. People like Doug, other major airline pilots, CFIs you name it will happily talk to you about choosing a flight school, what plane you should learn on, how to pick an instructor, airsickness, etc. And you will be able to listen to an instrument pilots, the next stage up, ask questions important to them, all the way up to Doug talking to someone like Don about the 757/767.

I remember when I wanted to be a pilot I used to always go to the airport to pick up my father and introduce myself to as many pilots as possible - there is no better place than NJC to really make connection, ask these questions, and have fun.

There is an old saying - The easiest wasy to achieve something is hang out with people that have done so already - no better place than NJC for that!

When I attended NJC, I took care of all the non-drinkers - we went to the strip club, wearing track suit bottoms and smoking cigars!!! it worked really well - we funded the development for the Wynn, and had a great time.
Uh yeah, being "prude" and "not into the drinking SCENE" includes strip clubs and ciagrs! LOL

You pay, we'll come! ;) I saw The Guardian last night, have you seen it? Wondering if there is really a "Kodiak, AK" and if the seas are as bad as they look in the movie. Cause if so, I don't know why anyone would go on them! But I'm a chicken.
Yes, there really is a Kodiak Alaska. The waves do get that big, if you watch the Deadliest Catch, you will see;). I throughly enjoyed the movie, it actually accurately portrayed Alaska.

Now if everyone would just stop eating fish, no one would have to die catching fish! I think I've seen Deadliest Catch. Is it the Discovery Channel one where they go out for crabs? Can't some just start a crab farm or something and stay off the deadly seas?

Just from a 16 year old JC has helped me alot. Besides all the times I usually get pissed off or caught up in stupid insults, it is great. I read things that I will think arn't importatn at all and then be asking my self that same question a couple months later. If I ever have a question I ask it, people will always help, even for the little things like taxiing an airplane. I talk to corporate pilots on a regular basis thanks to JC. Ive been able to tour a corporate hanger thanks to JC, that day I learned so much about corporate avaition all thanks to someone who wanted to help me out and show me what its like. Don't get discouraged on JC because someone has upset you, look beyond that. It is very encouraging to see people start out and land a job at an airline of choice or wherever they want. It gives you a sense of you can do it, and we all can.

Wish I could make it to NJC, I need a few more years...:)

Uh yeah, being "prude" and "not into the drinking SCENE" includes strip clubs and ciagrs! LOL

meh, you can still come and hang out!! I seriously doubt anyone would have issues with you and corbin coming and not drinking. :nana2: might get him thrown in the hot tub though! :D

Man, what has this site NOT done for me and my career would be an easier and shorter question to answer. Questions as a student pilot? I knew right where to turn. The day after I passed my instrument checkride, I wound up in a Piper Lance with a JC member (which he paid for BTW) flying to Tampa to meet R2F and FlyChicaga and have lunch. And for the doubter, JT/Mr Creepy really is a nice guy in person. Not only did he cover the cost of the plane from Orlando to Tampa, he also bought lunch, even if we thought Stan was really driving us to have our kidneys cut out and left in tubs of ice. :)

A few weeks later I get this phone call "Hey dude, this John Herreshoff from Jetcareers.com. Yeah, so, me and my girlfriend are gonna be in Orlando for a few days and just wondering if you wanted to meet up." So, met up with John and Emily at Olive Garden, and Stan trooped it over from Tampa to join us. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't remember much since she was working the graveyard shift at the hotel at the time and was borderline narcoleptic at dinner.

Wound up finally attending NJC04 and had a blast. The ONLY people I knew going in were John and Emily from when we met them in Orlando, and we wound up meeting up with them in BNA and flying to LAS on the same flight. Met Seggy when we got there, and he gave us all a ride to the airport. Ran into Doug and Kristie when we decided to hit the strip for a little bit, and met Max for the first time in the hotel lobby when we came back. After the "formal" networking event, everyone was free to hang with whomever, no cliques, just "hey, we're going here. Anyone else want to go." Late night conversations on politics and racism (which BTW are not NEAR as heated in person as on-line due to communication mixups) with Lloyd and what's-her-name-that-screwed-him-over, John, Emily, Montanapilot and a few others, a run to In N Out with a scary homeless guy in line in front of us as well as interesting comments on my wife's footwear from FL270, and drunken karaoke and a late night crawl that included MikeD winning money off a random slot machine, Max falling backwards off a chair and JDFlight and TonyW maybe/maybe not hitting on hookers were the highlight of the evenings. My wife even had a great time as part of the girls night out.

Fast forward a bit to when I'm having a crisis trying to figure out where to finish my training. I wind up talking to John on AIM about what's up, and he mentions he's going to check out Skymates in a couple of weeks and do I want to come with. So, I say yes, hop a SWA flight (eventually after being bumped numerous times outta MSY) and meet him in DAL. We both picked Skymates initial because they're a JC supporter, and they're the real deal. So, that netted me not only where to finish my ratings, but my first aviation job as a CFI, where I met even MORE JC members, including BrettinLJ who turned out to be student, co-worker, friend and no co-worker again here at Pinnacle.

While in DAL, we even had a random NJC Dallas over at Capt Bob's house when Lloyd flew through in the "Millenium Falcon" with Lindsey. Bob cooked the killer food, and John brought the cool Michigan beer. I let Bob tell about his wife's reaction when he told her he'd never met any of is in person before. :)

When I found out I had an interview at XJT and needed copies of Mexican Jepp charts to study, Bob was at Skymates about 15 minutes later with his flight bag with an offer to let me copy whatever I needed. When I was offered the interview at Pinnacle, I tapped some resources and wound up talking to PeaknuckleCRJ on the phone about the interview and the company. When I was frustrated about guys with less time than me getting interviews and jobs, numerous people from this site told me not to get down and just keeping plugging along. I even got a phone call from Seggy one night giving me a mock Colgan interview to keep me up to speed and prepared.

Two of my instructors from Air Orlando are on here (wheelsup, I count you even though it was only a few sim sessions :) ) one not as frequent as the other, though. Some of my best friends and roommates are on here, too. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten in both life and career arenas has come from this site.

This has gone WAY longer than I intended already. A lot of the stuff on here might SEEM like "The JC Inner Circle" or a clique, but a lot of it is because we've all met and hung out together at JC events or just impromptu get togethers organized by members. At one time, none of us knew any of the others. We all just stumbled into a room and said "Hi, I'm <insert screenname.>" You have to start somewhere. The one thing I don't want to see happen is the experience we've got here and the networking capabilities go away as people get hired on at regionals/corporate/freight/whatever. I don't want the "new blood" of JC to be robbed of the benefits I've enjoyed so far.

meh, you can still come and hang out!! I seriously doubt anyone would have issues with you and corbin coming and not drinking. :nana2: might get him thrown in the hot tub though! :D

To "TheWife". Joe (Fly22) and Ethan (BobDDuck) also don't drink and have both attended NJC's and always said they had a blast. Just a lil FYI for ya!

Back