Southwest tries to redecorate LGA tower

IMG_3488.jpeg

But let’s talk about flap settings, why the hell does a modern jet have like 38 individual flap detents?! We’ve got Up(0)/1/2/3/Full(4) on the bus and it works pretty well. Well, technically 5 if you want to talk 1 and 1+F

1000%. I think this was maybe the most confusing part of NH training, other than maybe the bleed panel. My other plane has Flaps Full, Half, and AUTO (i.e. "up" but they auto schedule based on speed/AoA). But it is also FBW like the Bus. I dunno. It does seem over complex to my simple brain

I’ve pretty much stopped issuing visual approaches to 121 because y’all don’t turn towards the airport anymore. Instead yall (generic yall) square off base to final and wind up flying 2-3 miles more than if I had just vectored for the ILS.
If I’m PM I’ll usually let tower know where we intend to turn base if the captain states where they plan on turning, usually they do. With it being 5am a lot of the time they usually don’t care. There was a big discussion over visual approaches on our forum and some folks think they own the sky at that point.

I’d also be careful with turning away from the airport on a visual. We had a crew get in trouble in GYY for going into MDW’s airspace iirc. Someone here will correct me if I’m wrong.

Zero disagreement there. It’s just KINDA NICE in the EXTREMELY RARE instance you’re getting extended vectors juuust at or below “2” speed, where it’s either that or drag Flaps 2 around (at 70+ N1)…
Emphasis mine.

Not sure where anyone sees the words “necessary” or “need to” in there.

Must be an internet thing…

I am seeing a mild deficiency in energy management, as well, but it's wider than just new-hire pilots. I would say that the primary flight training pipeline is still too maneuvers focused, and pilots who don't have substantial "doing something other than following the student->instructor pipeline" flight time tend to be missing a certain something when it comes to piecing it all together.

That said, by the time pilots are about a year in at a regional, they seem to mostly get it IF they care. (And most do. And I'm going to tell you straight up, I have some wicked good FOs. Like my current one, coming up on a year, who I'd say is basically ready for upgrade.)

What really shakes things loose for these newer pilots is when the program no longer works. Not "let's modify our plan, go higher, lower, etc", but "The plane just decided to turn left instead of right on a tight ODP in mountainous terrain while IMC, and it wants to fly into a mountain. Your turn!" (Hint: heading mode isn't the answer)

The funny thing is, though, once they experience stuff like that a few times, they tend to lose their blind faith in the magenta line quickly. And it makes them verify more, verbalize more, and react better.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that the kids are alright. They're learning from experience and flying competently (at least at my carrier). That said, since most FOs are under a year on property at this point, those events where experience is gained occur more often.

Heck, I dunno. I just work here.

You know... every time I read this thread title, I laugh. Because for years, Southwest DID redecorate towers at a lot of the airports they flew to, with new TVs and furniture for their break rooms.

You know... every time I read this thread title, I laugh. Because for years, Southwest DID redecorate towers at a lot of the airports they flew to, with new TVs and furniture for their break rooms.

We used to have a sweet ass break room in the old JNU tower. Sadly it’s been torn down and now we have a couch in a closet. Time keeps rockin on I guess.

Back