Southwest tries to redecorate LGA tower

A better option out there… but why is it a better option? Why is slower better? You mentioned the CRJ and the A320… Why is 230 the magic good pilot speed? Why is the object to get as slow as possible before extending your first flap selection?

The only rational possibility is your suggestion that higher speeds cause excess wear and tear on the flaps. If that’s true, why isn’t it in the book? Why isn’t it a limitation?

This reminds me of the AMF chieftan gear extension speeds vs the speed given in the AFM from back un the day. "Oh it saves wear on the gear doors" So all these other operators are flying around cracking gear doors for all these years and the manufacturer hasn't adjusted the limitation?

This reminds me of the AMF chieftan gear extension speeds vs the speed given in the AFM from back un the day. "Oh it saves wear on the gear doors" So all these other operators are flying around cracking gear doors for all these years and the manufacturer hasn't adjusted the limitation?
At Sanford and Sons of the sky they fixed that problem by just removing the gear doors from their Chieftans. That STC is going to save us so much money!

Then by your definition, you are using the flaps as a speed brake.

No I’m not. You’re not decelerating below UP speed without flap 1. It has to come out. Book says should be +10, gives an example as such, and I try to do it at +10 to +15.

Why do you find yourself, apparently, in a routine situation to have to use flaps 1 above 240 kts? Honestly, there’s a better way to fly this plane than that.

Assuming FH is “Flight Handbook” how does one say well I used them last flight if it’s “prohibited”?

Have you met pilots?

At a certain virtual airline, VFR routes in the state of Alaska were cancelled and removed from the FOM because, well, some pilots screwed up by willfully violating published guidance for said operation.

Yup. Not sure why the restriction exists for AS.

The other thing with the Jurassic and Classic is inflight use of the speedbrakes does little to nothing for you, besides make the airplane shake. Being dependent on those in any way will not pay off in those versions.

NG speed brakes are ok, the MAX aren’t as great. But still, no reason to be bustin out flaps over 240kts.

Not standard practice for USAir guys. Ive seen it done once, and he was legacy AA. I find it completely unnecessary.
Zero disagreement there. It’s just kinda nice in the extremely rare instance you’re getting extended vectors juuust at or below “2” speed, where it’s either that or drag Flaps 2 around (at 70+ N1)…

It’s also completely unnecessary. I’m not left wanting for flaps 2 in any situation I can remember. Especially when flaps 5 is the same speed.

IMG_0676.gif

You guys about done?

Back