Challenger crashed onto highway in Naples FL

Yes. 3 party system. But he threatened to email and call DC Feds, and I can only assume as some kinda whistle blower, it triggers a different FAA party.

Again I don’t know the full details. But sounded like a nothing burger that was pushed more and more, and then a FAFO with a non-union carrier.

Once a report for an event is accepted into the ASAP program, it’s on a very specific track, and to threaten outside influence will jeopardize the entire program, and ultimately a group can unilaterally withdraw from the ASAP program.

To have a report accepted into the program, and the ERC take no action (ie nothing to see here), and then have something boomerang back would be highly irregular, and would have the CASC and probably the MEC screaming bloody murder.

Something doesn’t smell right with your story.

On the other side of that wall is the Wyndemere Country Club golf course. Not that the outcome would’ve been significantly different, but one wonders “what if” they came down there instead of an interstate highway with traffic. View attachment 76466
They saved their passengers (so far) in an area without many options. You're not going to land a jet on a golf course like a 182.
They did good.

Healthy!

I literally just turned down a five day “Green Slip” that would have basically paid for a new Honda Accord — money is great but days off and being happy at home is sublime.

“Bro! I’m rolling in 150 credit hours this month! Makin that cheddah!!!” Lol

Meanwhile…..

That's not how ASAPs work. An ERC has three groups, the union, the company and the feds. If an ERC found nothing, that means all three groups found nothing. He could go to the Feds, but they'd just point to the ERC and say "nope, our guy was cool".
Whatever they did, it seemed to work. Got the case remanded to state jurisdiction. Well played. Probably expensive, but well played.

BTW, thanks @Cherokee_Cruiser for the case law. Fascinating.

They saved their passengers (so far) in an area without many options. You're not going to land a jet on a golf course like a 182.
They did good.
I zoomed in on that golf course (thinking it might have been a better option). It's a hot mess and would have ended as an even hotter mess than the interstate.

Whatever happened in predicate to this debacle (???), someone did a pretty darned good job attaching the ship the ground. The Pax walked (actually ran, lamenting the loss of cell phone) away. I think the pilots deaths were a function of being at the pointy end and hitting a wall. But they FLEW it into the crash; they did not DROP it. Kudos and RIP.

Last edited:
Healthy!

I literally just turned down a five day “Green Slip” that would have basically paid for a new Honda Accord — money is great but days off and being happy at home is sublime.
How does one literally "turn down" a metaphorical construct (green slip)?? I think that is the skill I lack the keeps me from being a REAL airline pilot. So you know, I'd like to improve myself and get hired.

Last edited:
Something doesn’t smell right with your story.
IMG_5722.jpeg

Whatever they did, it seemed to work. Got the case remanded to state jurisdiction. Well played. Probably expensive, but well played.

BTW, thanks @Cherokee_Cruiser for the case law. Fascinating.

Actually, sounds like the ASAP program worked as advertised, the CA didn’t like it, and made a case for wrongful termination.

Still doesn’t add up. Anything worth popping a circuit breaker would have been flagged by the ERC.

Actually, sounds like the ASAP program worked as advertised, the CA didn’t like it, and made a case for wrongful termination.

Still doesn’t add up. Anything worth popping a circuit breaker would have been flagged by the ERC.
I have ZERO knowledge of the incident itself. Therefore, I will say nothing about that. I was speaking only about the legal maneuvering, which seemed well executed.

Later, I was speaking about the stick an rudder skills that got the plane onto ground in a condition from which Pax could egress. Well executed in that case as well.

Like I said, I have NO idea what preceded the motors quitting - all at once (apparently, with no previous warnings), close to the ground. Still, when the fecal matter hits the fan in a spherical pattern, all one can do is one's best. Based on my limited knowledge of events -gleened from this board- it seems like this guy had pretty good game, aeronautically and legally.

Last edited:
Whatever happened in predicate to this debacle (???), someone did a pretty darned good job attaching the ship the ground. The Pax walked (actually ran, lamenting the loss of cell phone) away. I think the pilots deaths were a function of being at the pointy end and hitting a wall. But they FLEW it into the crash; they did not DROP it. Kudos and RIP.

Usually your posts leave me scratching my head, but I agree with your statement here.

Regardless of how they got there, at the VERY least, these guys paid the ultimate price to uphold their ultimate responsibility; protecting the lives of those who they were entrusted to carry. Things go sideways fast in this business, and they have my respect for what we know they were able to do.

RIP, smooth tailwinds out west.

Usually your posts leave me scratching my head, but I agree with your statement here.

Regardless of how they got there, at the VERY least, these guys paid the ultimate price to uphold their ultimate responsibility; protecting the lives of those who they were entrusted to carry. Things go sideways fast in this business, and they have my respect for what we know they were able to do.

RIP, smooth tailwinds out west.
I'm really NOT the ass some folks on this board make me out to be. The derision pointed at me is a function of the fact that almost always, I start from first principles and continue on to logical conclusions. That's REAL hard to grok for lots of folks.

At the end of the day, I'm a very decent, caring, diligent guy. At least I think so... which may be all that matters. That won't make me rich. That won't gain me access to any of the various clubs that exist out there in the world, by which humans protect their lower-functioning fellows, and use them to run scams to enrich themselves. But, to me, I'm true. I'm just. I do care. I just don't abide self-serving anything. As far as I know, Jesus, and Moses, and Allah, Buddha and Wakanda never stated that goal of life was "every man for himself" or "Eff you, I've got mine." Therefore, I will always call bunkum wherever I see it. Therefore, I will never be successful in corporate 'Murica. Or evangelical, fascist 'Murica.

I zoomed in on that golf course (thinking it might have been a better option). It's a hot mess and would have ended as an even hotter mess than the interstate.

Any theories on why the passenger might be lamenting the loss of her cell phone?

Cell phones are 911 machines.

I think it clicked in the passenger’s mind that the pilots might still be in the plane and wanted to call 911.

Beyond that, folks that are experiencing emotional distress often say and do very odd things. Gonna give the passengers a pass on this one, a plane crash wasn’t in their plans.

Any theories on why the passenger might be lamenting the loss of her cell phone?

Cell phones are 911 machines.

I think it clicked in the passenger’s mind that the pilots might still be in the plane and wanted to call 911.

Beyond that, folks that are experiencing emotional distress often say and do very odd things. Gonna give the passengers a pass on this one, a plane crash wasn’t in their plans.
Good points. (Not for me, but I take your points about emotionally traumatized neo-post monkeys who didn't realize that the cell channels were probably already clogged with the surfeit of interstate drivers who were already on the line with 911.)

Last edited:
Good points. (Not for me, but I take your points about emotionally traumatized neo-post monkeys who didn't realize that the cell channels were probably already clogged with the surfeit of interstate drivers who were already on the line with 911.)

I drive a lot and make a few 911 calls a year. Expecting to be among an avalanche of calls, I’m occasionally surprised that I’m the first caller. Some folks just assume somebody has already called.

Even when I haven’t been the first caller, I’ve been the first caller with critical details. Think about a driver that has witnessed an accident or aftermath and it takes them a minute to call while continuing to drive at highway speeds with no idea where they are located.

Back