121 guys, how does this happen? (AKA,Oh Delta)

Imagine caring enough to ask for a runway other than what you get assigned
Depends on the airport. I'd be willing to be you've had to have sat thru a 15-20 min wait to cross 28L at SFO at least once after a 28R arrival when they are really keeping things rolling in a 28/28 config. Same with private jets at SFO using 28L and trying to get to Signature. Now, 70% of Southwest arrivals at SJC asking for 30L instead of 30R? Not so much lol, but they do it anyway.

I have seen United\Southwest do a visual side step from 28R to 28L inside a few mile final many times, don't really see other carriers do it much.

Imagine caring enough to ask for a runway other than what you get assigned
Call back to a different thread but this is the most likely scenario for me to tell a pf captain “no but you can ask them”.

Like my guy, we’ve been slowed to 250 since freakin midland, APP hasn’t stopped transmitting long enough for me to check in, a sky west pilot is stepping all over everyone, and we’re parking A9… just so we can spend 17 minutes on the ES route instead of the 9 minutes crossing WL foxtrot alpha ground on top of the bridge. No.

Depends on the airport. I'd be willing to be you've had to have sat thru a 15-20 min wait to cross 28L at SFO at least once after a 28R arrival when they are really keeping things rolling in a 28/28 config. Same with private jets at SFO using 28L and trying to get to Signature. Now, 70% of Southwest arrivals at SJC asking for 30L instead of 30R? Not so much lol, but they do it anyway.

I have seen United\Southwest do a visual side step from 28R to 28L inside a few mile final many times, don't really see other carriers do it much.
I get paid by the minute dawg!! Plus I know someone who got bitten by some “creative” work by SFO tower. I’d rather just wait and get paid.

I get paid by the minute dawg!! Plus I know someone who got bitten by some “creative” work by SFO tower. I’d rather just wait and get paid.
No...

You'd rather wait and get REAL paid.

I can't speak to any "Ready To Strike" schwag you might or might not be presenting despite your REAL pay.
:)

No...

You'd rather wait and get REAL paid. :)
I have SWAG. I’ve received a WARN notice, I voted yes to a strike authorization and no to concessions, but I fail to see how that’s relevant to waiting to cross a runway while getting paid $4/minute.

Landing on 35R/17L in SDF when very heavy in a 74-8 (say, I dunno, every ANC-SDF leg) is a bit puckering. Like, will the airplane do it? For sure, with room to spare, provided you get it in the TDZ and nothing goes wrong. That said, I will be a pest about asking whether they've opened up the long runway. Sorry not sorry.

8,500 isn’t enough for landing that thing?

Just for y’all, a couple Capt’s that I’ve flown with also flew the A330 in the right seat said “A330 will do 16R (8500ft long), but it’s going to be like doing a 6000ft runway in the 737”

That’s why they ask for 16L

Man you widebody bros can’t hack a dry 8,500 ft runway landing?

I dunno, maybe try napping less and lifting more weights. :)

Last edited:
I have SWAG. I’ve received a WARN notice, I voted yes to a strike authorization and no to concessions, but I fail to see how that’s relevant to waiting to cross a runway while getting paid $4/minute.
OK, I'll explain. Much like I once did for the old carpenter who then picked up his hammer and saw.

It's all primarily about VALUE. It's never primarily about PAY. I recently talked to an "Airline Guy" who was happy as a clam in his job and making $350-$400k a year, which paid ALL his bills and left him LOTS of money to save. But no. He was deeply ensconced withing the herd and therefore pissed and "READY to STRIKE!"... solely because he was NOT being invidiously distinguished by having a salary equal to or greater than those of his "peers" at "another airline".

WTF, over?!?

We get paid for the value we provide. Period.

We should never get paid to keep up with the Joneses' or just because we feel like we're in a position that ephemerally allows us to demand more. The Joneses' in this "industry" didn't go to "Collage" either.

It's all about value you provide to society. It's got nothing to do with the size of your Richard, the size of your boat, or the size of your paycheck relative to the asshats who are fellow members of your "country" club.

There are a lot of us out here in flyboy land who, daily and without any planned schedule, do 5X to 6X more actually work than you airline pilots and get paid a lot less to do it. We love to fly and we are demonstrably "service oriented". (God, I hate marketing terms.)

Stop yer whinging! Seriously, stop it. Go make some customers HAPPY!!!!

Last edited:
So you’re telling me you guys spend 3 hours asking how the rides are but you are too good to ask for a runway?

Have you heard Delta pilots approaching SEA? 16R is their wife, 16L is their mistress.

And they love the mistress. Asking for her waaaay too often. Just never happy with the wife. :)

Have you heard Delta pilots approaching SEA? 16R is their wife, 16L is their mistress.

And they love the mistress. Asking for her waaaay too often. Just never happy with the wife. :)
Hmmm.... At DAL, 13R and 13L are neither wife nor mistress. They're both Doxies. The pilots request them solely based on which one is cheaper.

OK, I'll explain. Much like I once did for the old carpenter who then picked up his hammer and saw.

It's all primarily about VALUE. It's never primarily about PAY. I recently talked to an "Airline Guy" who was happy as a clam in his job and making $350-$400k a year, which paid ALL his bills and left him LOTS of money to save. But no. He was deeply ensconced withing the herd and therefore pissed and "READY to STRIKE!"... solely because he was NOT being invidiously distinguished by having a salary equal to or greater than those of his "peers" at "another airline".

WTF, over?!?

We get paid for the value we provide. Period.

We should never get paid to keep up with the Joneses' or just because we feel like we're in a position that ephemerally allows us to demand more. The Joneses' in this "industry" didn't go to "Collage" either.

It's all about value you provide to society. It's got nothing to do with the size of your Richard, the size of your boat, or the size of your paycheck relative to the asshats who are fellow members of your "country" club.

There are a lot of us out here in flyboy land who, daily and without any planned schedule, do 5X to 6X more actually work than you airline pilots and get paid a lot less to do it. We love to fly and we are demonstrably "service oriented". (God, I hate marketing terms.)

Stop yer whinging! Seriously, stop it. Go make some customers HAPPY!!!!
1690940471087.gif

I know...

Lots and lots and lots of folks have NO idea what I'm talking about.

Go back to your Ancient Greek philosophers and work, gradually, forward from there to here. You'll get it in time. But you'll have to forgo that BIGSCREENTV! that you purchased with you HUGEPILOTPAY!, and actually do some reading. (I understand that reading is hard and real boring.) And... don't forget to drink BRAWNDO!!!! It's got what plants crave!

Back