More alcohol related incidents.

UAL this time. Am surprised this still happens, but maybe I shouldn’t be. I still remember when the NWA incident in 1990 and later AWA one in 2002 were a huge deal in the news back in the day. Crazy that it still goes on.

All the time.

Every time a friend gets an international category, I give them the 'dad chat' about randoms and 0.02 from the FAA and 8 hours bottle to throttle don't mean jack outside the US. They randomly test, OFTEN, the metric system can detect the presence of alcohol on a much more accurate level where the US calls it 'undetectable' and "8 hours bottle to throttle' is about the dumbest rhyme ever and means nothing.

You can satisfy the rhyme, but still be absolutely in violation of having a traceable amount of alcohol in your system. Hell, I use 14 hours absolute minimum between finishing drink and my wake-up time.

Some airports even make it a sport. I was speaking with a gate agent at a major European airport a couple weeks ago and they get 600 Euros per 'bust'. So if anyone you have contact with has a hint that you're impaired, you get called for a 'random', and you test positive, BOOM, cash money and they catch people all the time.

Same airport notorious for stepping off the bus, walk into operations and there is often a line of people to take a breathalyzer test before entering.

It's not a 'witch hunt' if they keep finding witches.

All the time.

Every time a friend gets an international category, I give them the 'dad chat' about randoms and 0.02 from the FAA and 8 hours bottle to throttle don't mean jack outside the US. They randomly test, OFTEN, the metric system can detect the presence of alcohol on a much more accurate level where the US calls it 'undetectable' and "8 hours bottle to throttle' is about the dumbest rhyme ever and means nothing.

You can satisfy the rhyme, but still be absolutely in violation of having a traceable amount of alcohol in your system. Hell, I use 14 hours absolute minimum between finishing drink and my wake-up time.

Some airports even make it a sport. I was speaking with a gate agent at a major European airport a couple weeks ago and they get 600 Euros per 'bust'. So if anyone you have contact with has a hint that you're impaired, you get called for a 'random', and you test positive, BOOM, cash money and they catch people all the time.

Same airport notorious for stepping off the bus, walk into operations and there is often a line of people to take a breathalyzer test before entering.

It's not a 'witch hunt' if they keep finding witches.

Simple. Forego the alcohol when at these places. Anything else, and you’re just gambling. The game is their rules, not ours. Is it really worth the risk, to absolutely need to have alcohol on one of these trips? I wouldn’t think so.

People forget easily that when you fly overseas, you’re in their part of the world. Their rules, their laws, and they are NOT always the same as the United States.

“You would do well to remember that, Sir.”

People forget easily that when you fly overseas, you’re in their part of the world. Their rules, their laws, and they are NOT always the same as the United States.

“You would do well to remember that, Sir.”

People forget this. Then do dumb stuff in said countries, which results in things like being tossed into a gulag or flogged. Even going to some countries when there is no real need to, is dumb.

The fact that you have to give a dad chat to an adult who is piloting an international airliner, is sad in and of itself.
I don’t think that’s true, any of us who’ve spent our whole careers with the FAA and it’s relatively permissive policies shouldn’t be ashamed of needing “the gouge” when moving to a different AO where the rules and the enforcement thereof are drastically different

airplane-turkish_prison.gif

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGlCGqAgw0

I don’t think that’s true, any of us who’ve spent our whole careers with the FAA and it’s relatively permissive policies shouldn’t be ashamed of needing “the gouge” when moving to a different AO where the rules and the enforcement thereof are drastically different

True, however I think it starts with being a responsible adult. And having a basic understanding of not being “that guy” entitled US citizen who thinks they can go anywhere and do anything. Exercise some extra caution and heed. Any Gouge is just icing on that baseline cake.

True, however I think it starts with being a responsible adult. And having a basic understanding of not being “that guy” entitled US citizen who thinks they can go anywhere and do anything. Exercise some extra caution and heed. Any Gouge is just icing on that baseline cake.

What you're describing isn't the guy in the article. The guy in the article sounds like he has a problem. He's not the guy drinking 4 beers at 8 hours and then shocked when he has a trace of alcohol in his blood.

What you're describing isn't the guy in the article. The guy in the article sounds like he has a problem. He's not the guy drinking 4 beers at 8 hours and then shocked when he has a trace of alcohol in his blood.

Either that, or exceptionally irresponsible, or possibly both. Talk about learning a lesson the hard way.

These seem to often be old guys. I wonder if that is a symptom of A) not caring anymore or B) they have alcoholism and the disease has progressed that much further by age 60+? I suppose maybe some of both?

Does seem crazy to be doing this.

The fact that you have to give a dad chat to an adult who is piloting an international airliner, is sad in and of itself.
Just that things that are completely permissible over here are absolutely not in many other countries.

If the airport set up a breathalyzer checkpoint to even enter in a uniform, the average American would freak out, and justifiably. But in a foreign country, no one gives a poop about your feelings. And it happens.

Last edited:
Just that things that are completely permission over here are absolutely not in many other countries.

If the airport set up a breathalyzer checkpoint to even enter in a uniform, the average American would freak out, and justifiably. But in a foreign country, no one gives a poop about your feelings. And it happens.

There are still lots of places on this planet where anything not compulsory is forbidden, and the local constabulary will absolutely lose their poop if it looks like you’re taking a picture.

I guess at age 63, this is one way to give your retirement notice. Technique only.

I guess at age 63, this is one way to give your retirement notice. Technique only.

Honestly, 63 is on the outside of the envelope where “induced retirement” events happen. Usually by then the end has rolled into view, and people can recalibrate to go the distance remaining. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but the frequency is usually less.

Back