Southwest is even more toxic than I’ve always said

I flew with a captain last week that was....interesting. He kept moaning about the next trip he had and how hes so overworked, which I found to be interesting since he picked the trip he and I were on out of open time. Anyway, he was reviewing the trip he had the next day, and he had a female first officer. He said "she looks 12" and "well I guess I get to play flight instructor for the next two days". I saw that her employee number was a few thousand less than mine. Considering the BS I had to put up with him, I can only imagine how bad she had it.

I flew with a captain last week that was....interesting. He kept moaning about the next trip he had and how hes so overworked, which I found to be interesting since he picked the trip he and I were on out of open time. Anyway, he was reviewing the trip he had the next day, and he had a female first officer. He said "she looks 12" and "well I guess I get to play flight instructor for the next two days". I saw that her employee number was a few thousand less than mine. Considering the BS I had to put up with him, I can only imagine how bad she had it.
She’s probably sitting on her airplane now telling the other guy “I gotta fly with this • next week”

Same. There’s a guy who is on everyone’s no fly list at my old job. Their response when I called: “we’ve tried counseling him, but he won’t listen. He’s going to retire soon.”
I was pretty shocked.
This always drives me crazy. Every company has the 5%ers that make everyone’s trip miserable. I always wonder why the 95% doesn’t team up and return the favor.

This always drives me crazy. Every company has the 5%ers that make everyone’s trip miserable. I always wonder why the 95% doesn’t team up and return the favor.

5%er is a general group of jerks or is it a political movement?

(I've seen 3%ers and 1%ers and I'm losing track)

didn’t you buy a job

No.

I don’t even know what that means. If you’re asking me if I paid for my private, instrument, comm/multi, yeah I did. Who’s gonna pay, you? I paid to get the quals required for the job. Then I paid for a RJ course in Florida in which the regional came down and interviewed every month. Had to do a normal interview like anyone else.

5% at minimum.

Line up 100 pilots and give me 5 minutes with each. I’ll find you more than 5 a-holes.
For my decade plus in the industry, I don’t find that accurate.. then again my wife tells me I’m amazing at tuning people out.

Oh look, an industry that egoes itself on job fairs, networking, ass kissing, 20+ recommendations, selling your left nut to “make it” ends up being a a boys club with immature idiot man children?

You don’t say.

Want to know the real problem? Look in the mirror. These man children were once in their 20s, 30s, 40s and this behavior didn’t just manifest itself in the last 5 yrs. They were always like this. Unchecked. Looked over. Made excuses for. Protected. Ignored.

And here we are today.

I don't live in that world, sorry. And I'm not about to adopt it.

I don't live in that world, sorry. And I'm not about to adopt it.

You’re in that world, like it or not. How many times have you heard something that was out of line when you were younger, and how many times did you really speak up? Especially as a FO against a CA?

She’s probably sitting on her airplane now telling the other guy “I gotta fly with this • next week”

!00%

I actually spoke to a captain that told one of my new hire friends (almost a decade ago) "little girls shouldn't be flying the 767" and he was shocked I confronted him about it.

Oh no let the company work hard to recruit great people only to have a social neanderthal with a delicate ego wreck the effort.

You’re in that world, like it or not. How many times have you heard something that was out of line when you were younger, and how many times did you really speak up? Especially as a FO against a CA?

I think after 52 years of being on this earth and seeing a few things you've only casually read about on blogs, you don't have the foundation to tell me what world you think I live in. Lets get that straight before we move forward with your questioning.

I’m sorry, 14 yrs my senior. I did not question your years on this planet. I’m talking about the airline industry and the personas that exist. Problem children are everywhere. It’s still a boys club in many ways. Time will change that, but not quickly enough.

I’m sorry, 14 yrs my senior. I did not question your years on this planet. I’m talking about the airline industry and the personas that exist. Problem children are everywhere. It’s still a boys club in many ways. Time will change that, but not quickly enough.

Now that we've established that, we can continue.

Yes, it's the last vestiges of an old boys club, but it's largely changed. Just many of us haven't recognized the progress and the ones that get called to the carpet to the big brown desk are oddly taken aback and go on internet rants about 'wokeness' when they're sitting home on unpaid leave.

I know it's all about 'peace' in the pilot group, but before throwing up our hands and saying "Well, that's just how things are" is weak -- we've got to stand up for one another when the situation arises.

"Hey! You should hear what (whoever) says about black people, Derg!"

"Well, what did you tell him in response or did you just nod, smile and take the free happy hour beer because it's not your group and you get to philosophically sit it out?"

I know a goodly number of people disagree with my angle on this stuff and I'm always happy to have that conversation about why I feel this way (well, usually…) but oftentimes silence is tacit approval.

Line up 100 pilots and give me 5 minutes with each. I’ll find you more than 5 a-holes.
1677292370107.png

Ah'm just busting yer chops.

But seriously that would require an entire work week.

Back