Southwest is even more toxic than I’ve always said

And for God's sake, wear your shoes and dry socks. And long pants and sleeves. And sunscreen. And mosquito repellant. With DDT. Yea, it might cause cancer in 30-40 years if you use it every day, but some forms of malaria will kill you right now. When it looked like I might go there, a good friend at the health department gave me an unlabeled container of goop. Smelled....chemically with a hint of spicy death. I asked what was in it, and she said "you don't want to know, but it's %100 effective, aaaandd...whatever you do, don't go in the sun."

I was two places in the last year where malaria was a very real concern. Didn't take anything either time (mefloquine: side effects include going crazy and killing people or malarone: side effects include night terrors) but was super careful about avoiding getting bitten. Worked really well in PNG, but rather poorly in South America.

I was two places in the last year where malaria was a very real concern. Didn't take anything either time (mefloquine: side effects include going crazy and killing people or malarone: side effects include night terrors) but was super careful about avoiding getting bitten. Worked really well in PNG, but rather poorly in South America.
You can get some mild anti-biotic, i forget what exactly...its like a daily dose of Cflox for up to a year. Asked for it on my last deployment instead of the usual anti-malarial for the reasons you listed above....no side affects, and does wonders if your skin is prone to breakouts too

Most should know when a conversation gets awkward. My question to you is are you going to speak up? I’ve had conversations with coworkers about individuals who might of said something inappropriate and I always ask, “Did you call them out?” A lot say no and come up with excuses. Well, why are you telling me?

They stuff they got there will eat the flesh right off your bones. You don't want it.

Get the vaccine. And for God's sake, wear your shoes and dry socks. And long pants and sleeves. And sunscreen. And mosquito repellant. With DDT. Yea, it might cause cancer in 30-40 years if you use it every day, but some forms of malaria will kill you right now. When it looked like I might go there, a good friend at the health department gave me an unlabeled container of goop. Smelled....chemically with a hint of spicy death. I asked what was in it, and she said "you don't want to know, but it's %100 effective, aaaandd...whatever you do, don't go in the sun."

In fact, just don't go. Stay local, swim in a fresh water lake here and you'll be fine. Except for alligators. Maybe crocodiles. Oh, yea, and that brain eating amoeba thing.

I was in Sierra Leone during the 2016 Ebola outbreak. Needless to say I wasn't very impressed how our country handled a nasty cold.

I was in Sierra Leone during the 2016 Ebola outbreak. Needless to say I wasn't very impressed how our country handled a nasty cold.

Fungal infections can be treated. Bacteria can be bad. Viruses can be worse. Parasites are bad, bad news.

Malarone was pretty mild (edit) for me. I felt a little electric, but that's about it. No *irregular* fantasies about homicide other than the standard ideations.

Last edited:
Malarone was pretty mild (edit) for me. I felt a little electric, but that's about it. No *irregular* fantasies about homicide other than the standard ideations.

I couldn't sleep while I was on it the first time. That was a long week.

The brain eating amoeba thing is the most messed up thing. I see it every once in a while in the news, some poor young kid goes for a swim over the weekend. Then gets sick. Parents take him to urgent care or ER. Sent back home. Then drastic turn for the worse. Back to hospital. Then dead.

Just messed up!

The brain eating amoeba thing is the most messed up thing. I see it every once in a while in the news, some poor young kid goes for a swim over the weekend. Then gets sick. Parents take him to urgent care or ER. Sent back home. Then drastic turn for the worse. Back to hospital. Then dead.

Just messed up!

Parasites of any kind are usually bad news to varying degrees, but yea, this one is particularly is bad. Like Rabies, not to many people get the a full dose of it, but if you get it and symptoms show, there isn't much they can do for you but toss everything plus the kitchen sink at it and hope.

I think I am one of the lucky ones that don't have issues with most drugs. That includes malarone. Still have some in my bag.

The good news is that vaccines seem to be starting to pop up for malaria.

That said, I avoid most of Africa. I do know of people that bid ACC all the time and never use antimalarials.

I think I am one of the lucky ones that don't have issues with most drugs. That includes malarone. Still have some in my bag.

The good news is that vaccines seem to be starting to pop up for malaria.

That said, I avoid most of Africa. I do know of people that bid ACC all the time and never use antimalarials.

I have a friend that died from complications from Malaria, which sucks. I generally avoided it entirely after Brian died.

Why can’t we get some action on Lyme’s disease? Probably 60 million of us live in an area where all summer we have to sweat these pinhead size ticks…that may or may not transmit an incurable disease that leaves you pretty neurologically f’d. Young people/ old people it doesn’t matter. I’d take another round with thr Rona any day over Lyme’s.

Why can’t we get some action on Lyme’s disease? Probably 60 million of us live in an area where all summer we have to sweat these pinhead size ticks…that may or may not transmit an incurable disease that leaves you pretty neurologically f’d. Young people/ old people it doesn’t matter. I’d take another round with thr Rona any day over Lyme’s.

There was a vaccine for Lyme’s 20 years ago, but….it’s a long story that would ring quite familiar today.

Last I heard, they’ve got a couple of new ones in the works.

The good news for poochie is there are a couple for dogs that are quite effective.

Malaria blows hard. It’s a fiendishly clever bug seemingly tailor made to evade our immune system. Do not recommend.

The one vaccine they have for it works…meh, ok, but at least a step in the right direction. A truly effective malaria vaccine would be a triumph of human ingenuity on par with some of our greatest accomplishments as a species, not only from a technical perspective, but it’s beneficial effect for millions, if not billions of people.

Last edited:

What kind of action, though? Once it visits and does its thing, how does one go back to "normal?"

As you surely know, there is a range that people experience. My treatment was ten months and AWFUL; tremendously non-traditional at the time, it seems to have been effective long-term - for me. Way back when, it was 2-3 weeks of antibiotics for a spirochete that reproduced on a 28-day cycle. Worthless.

My doc actually lost his license for several years because of his very aggressive treatment, well outside the "norm," for Lyme Disease patients. It did me a world of good, frankly, although the months were pretty much hell with the disease.

[/QUOTE]
There was a vaccine for Lyme’s 20 years ago, but….it’s a long story that would ring quite familiar today.
It was a crap vaccine. those in the industry wants to believe it was because of lack of demand, but it was a poor vaccine
The good news for poochie is there are a couple for dogs that are quite effective.
Ok vaccine but unnecessary for most dogs, ticks that spread lyme a localized to a small part of the US.
let's see if we can get a vaccine for ehrlichia and a better parvo vaccine.

I know my angle if I ever end up interviewing to fly for an airline.

"I've been a professional who has two decades of treating my colleagues like professionals as well."

"You sure you don't want to see my logbook?"

Back