Dallas Executive Mid-Air / B-17 - P-63

These early analysis videos make me uncomfortable. I wonder what the victim's think when they watch one. Someone just vomiting conjecture on YouTube about their loved ones death.
I generally agree 95% of the people blathering on know nothing about what they are talking about.

There are a very few that are worth anyones time.

IIRC, there is only 1 "original" with matching serial numbers for all components (including the engine). I think there are something like 3 others, with original airframe/engine combos, but not distinctly serialized, and then several dozen that are the modified T-6s, or hodgepodge of airframes, different engines, etc.....similar to the Bf109s in existence, just much more rare
If I read between the lines, what Planes of Fame isn't saying, that might be correct.

Okay, it's the only authentic Zero flown by Charles Lindberg?

1668555310282.png

Oof, I want to like him, until you realize how he acted when he got sent to the Pacific in WW2 >.> but perhaps.
I think that largely the issue was that literally almost ALL of the original A6mB (what we think of as the "Zero"), were destroyed during the war, used late war as kamikaze, or scuttled. The only ones left were those "forgotten" or too decrepit to use in ANY role....but they found exactly ONE in relatively mint condition...and that's the one that exists today.
I can only claim to be an enthusiast with warbirds and history at the time period, certainly not an expert...but I do know what i'll spend lottery money on if I ever start playing and win

Everyone thinks the FW190 D9 had a radial engine, if you tell them it was an inverted V-12 some might not believe you. The P-38 is cool, but if someone is interested in the mechanics of these planes a study of the P-47 is warranted, there's a good reason why it's big and ugly.

It's a super charger that they built an airplane over!

Oof, I want to like him, until you realize how he acted when he got sent to the Pacific in WW2 >.> but perhaps.
I think that largely the issue was that literally almost ALL of the original A6mB (what we think of as the "Zero"), were destroyed during the war, used late war as kamikaze, or scuttled. The only ones left were those "forgotten" or too decrepit to use in ANY role....but they found exactly ONE in relatively mint condition...and that's the one that exists today.
I can only claim to be an enthusiast with warbirds and history at the time period, certainly not an expert...but I do know what i'll spend lottery money on if I ever start playing and win
North Island, in San Diego became the depot for Zero's captured during WWII. At one time North Island had 15 or 18 Zero's with almost half of them flying.

Nice, grew up in SD, but never spent much time on North Island. A ton at 32nd, Miramar, and the Coronado Seal base, but missed out on that side.

Oof, I want to like him, until you realize how he acted when he got sent to the Pacific in WW2

You mean showing everyone how to fly the P-38 properly and doubling it’s range? Flying twice the amount of required combat missions that mil pilots had to fly while a civilian?

You mean showing everyone how to fly the P-38 properly and doubling it’s range? Flying twice the amount of required combat missions that mil pilots had to fly while a civilian?
Nope. Certainly not that aspect. You should check out "Race of Aces", specifically Dick Bong's recollection....and sure, it may be hearsay, but I place my weight of evidence on the guys doing the work, rather than the claimed escapades of an established celebrity at that point, but that's my personal bias.

Speaking of the P-38, I took these pictures at Chino a couple of years ago. Too bad it was overcast.

We also had a R-38 on static display that year.

1668558975862.jpeg

Glacier Girl
1668559038529.jpeg

Skidoo
1668559057857.jpeg

Tangerine
1668559084971.jpeg

Honey Bunny
1668559104848.jpeg

Thoughts of Midnight
1668559152630.jpeg

R-38 (It may be called something else) Note the windows for the cameras.
1668559663080.png

Last edited:
These early analysis videos make me uncomfortable. I wonder what the victim's think when they watch one. Someone just vomiting conjecture on YouTube about their loved ones death.

the Dan Gryders of the world have no scruples

Know of it, never got close ;) TBF i was an Army guy, so the only time I got to play on Naval/Marine fields, I usually found myself in shall we say, awkward situations

female enlisted? :)
Of course not...."no one is more professional than I!..." :) Besides, generally acceptable for us junior non-coms hehe
In this case I was specifically referring to when the USMC was transporting my grouchy azz in the back of their stallions, and where we ended up, we ended up.....

The best looking plane of WW2 was the Fiat G.55 Centauro and I will fight over it. It also had performance to match its looks with the Luftwaffe test pilots requesting Germany begin building it immediately to replace both the Bf.109 and Fw190. They considered it the best Axis fighter of the war.

View attachment 67835

Speaking of attractive Italian airplanes, I see your Fiat, and raise you the Macchi-Castoldi M.C.72 as powered by a 3,100 HP Fiat supercharged V24 driving counter-rotating props. Set the absolute speed record of 440.68mph in 1934 and still holds the record for propeller float plane.
1024px-Macchi-Castoldi_M.C.72_2009-06-06.jpg

I was there. This was the first year in 4 that I wasn't flying in the bomber parade but had just landed as part of a Twin Beech formation instead and was just across the runway on a jeep when it went in. Thanks to those who checked in (there are now two of us on here that fly the B24 and B29 btw - he is ok as well)

Since I was actually at the brief and have flown behind that B-17 for many laps of bomber parade in the past - it is extra annoying to read everyone's speculation and it is amazing just how wrong people can get so many details that they think they know.

Tough and Competent. We will continue to operate these airplanes after learning everything we can from this incident to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Since I was actually at the brief and have flown behind that B-17 for many laps of bomber parade in the past - it is extra annoying to read everyone's speculation and it is amazing just how wrong people can get so many details that they think they know.

So you add nothing and you’re annoyed at EVERYBODY’s speculation?

I’ll speculate some more. I doubt anybody in the briefing strenuously objected to the plan that didn’t guarantee adequate separation between the fighter parade and bomber parade.

The bomber parade shouldn’t have turned final until the fighter fly-by was complete or both groups should have followed the same path. There should have been a decision-point for the bomber lead to continue his approach.

At a minimum, when the plan didn’t work it’s warranted that speculation questions the plan.

Sorry to annoy you.

The best looking plane of WW2 was the Fiat G.55 Centauro and I will fight over it. It also had performance to match its looks with the Luftwaffe test pilots requesting Germany begin building it immediately to replace both the Bf.109 and Fw190. They considered it the best Axis fighter of the war.

It must be hard to go through life and yet be so wrong all the time.

Fun story about the Tigercat, supposedly Gurmman's test pilot landed it after the first flight and said to" just start building them and don't change anything."

Last edited:
Back