Dallas Executive Mid-Air / B-17 - P-63

Same here. I've also always admired the shape of the FW190. I guess we must've learned something because after inspecting both Grumman built the F8F.
The 190 D9 was always one of my favorites. Sleek, elegant, but lethal. That and a special soft spot for the P38...you can keep the Spitfire or Mustang, never got the hype, it just looks meh to me (hides from the angry mob guaranteed to ensue)

The 190 D9 was always one of my favorites. Sleek, elegant, but lethal. That and a special soft spot for the P38...you can keep the Spitfire or Mustang, never got the hype, it just looks meh to me (hides from the angry mob guaranteed to ensue)
Everyone thinks the FW190 D9 had a radial engine, if you tell them it was an inverted V-12 some might not believe you. The P-38 is cool, but if someone is interested in the mechanics of these planes a study of the P-47 is warranted, there's a good reason why it's big and ugly.

Getting it confused with the early butcher birds seems to be common, such as the A8 or A5. That's why the D9 is so much prettier, its sleek ;)

Everyone thinks the FW190 D9 had a radial engine, if you tell them it was an inverted V-12 some might not believe you. The P-38 is cool, but if someone is interested in the mechanics of these planes a study of the P-47 is warranted, there's a good reason why it's big and ugly.
As for the good ole' jug, that's a top 5 for sure...and top 1 If I were to be given an option during that War....stories of Luft pilots emptying every shell they had into one and it just flying along were all too common. Id want to ride that into battle, even if its ugly, relatively slow in level flight, and not nearly as sexy...its thicc.

The first Zero brought back to the US took some damage attacking Dutch Harbor, tried to do an off airport landing on one of Aleutian Islands. The pilot was killed in the landing.

The Zero was taken to North Island (San Diego), repaired and test flown. The AAC was surprised to find out two big flaws in the Zero.
  • The Zero turned left like a ricochet, but turned right like a 707.
  • The ailerons washed out above 200 knots.
US pilots were told when a Zero was on their tail to dive and turn right. Almost immediately the Zero kill went up.

A really good read on the Zero. The capture of this Zero was equal to the US capturing the Enigma Machine. Both really changed the war.

1668552234439.png

Same here. I've also always admired the shape of the FW190. I guess we must've learned something because after inspecting both Grumman built the F8F.

FW190 is a beautiful machine. I'd really love to see one of the "new" ones they built. Always thought it was a neat airplane.

I always had a real appreciation for the P-47 too. Love everything about it. Love the shape of the wing, how it commands a ramp while parked, there is nothing about it I don't love. Given a choice of piston WW2 machines on the American side - I'd personally own a P-47 before a Mustang, Corsair, or even P-38. I lost track of how many models of P-47's - balsa, plastic, bubble canopy, razorback, etc - I built as a kid.

I'm pretty sure there is just one.
IIRC, there is only 1 "original" with matching serial numbers for all components (including the engine). I think there are something like 3 others, with original airframe/engine combos, but not distinctly serialized, and then several dozen that are the modified T-6s, or hodgepodge of airframes, different engines, etc.....similar to the Bf109s in existence, just much more rare

The best looking plane of WW2 was the Fiat G.55 Centauro and I will fight over it. It also had performance to match its looks with the Luftwaffe test pilots requesting Germany begin building it immediately to replace both the Bf.109 and Fw190. They considered it the best Axis fighter of the war.

53862C51-D9DA-41B8-9EE0-5C0A90545A4E.jpeg

The best looking plane of WW2 was the Fiat G.55 Centauro and I will fight over it. It also had performance to match its looks with the Luftwaffe test pilots requesting Germany begin building it immediately to replace both the Bf.109 and Fw190. They considered it the best Axis fighter of the war.

View attachment 67835
From what I remember, it was good when introduced, but seriously outpaced by the late war designs of the 109 and 190. Armament was poor, turning capability was marginal, high alt/top end speed were marginal, and visibility was awful .

For those interested, there is a great series on Audible, "German Aces Speak" iirc, volumes 1 and 2. Truly excellent listen.

From what I remember, it was good when introduced, but seriously outpaced by the late war designs of the 109 and 190. Armament was poor, turning capability was marginal, high alt/top end speed were marginal, and visibility was awful .

For those interested, there is a great series on Audible, "German Aces Speak" iirc, volumes 1 and 2. Truly excellent listen.

You must be thinking of a different plane because the G.55 had excellent manueverability at high altitude (it’s why the Germans wanted it) and the Series 1 had 3 20mm cannon and 2 12.7mm machine guns. Out of the 3 Italian fighters tested by the Luftwaffe (C205, Re2005 and G55) thr G55 was the only one that could outperform the 109G4 and 190A5 at all altitudes. They also planned to upgrade the engine from the DB603 to the 605.

You must be thinking of a different plane because the G.55 had excellent manueverability at high altitude (it’s why the Germans wanted it) and the Series 1 had 3 20mm cannon and 2 12.7mm machine guns.
Perhaps, Italian fighters arent my fortay, but I thought it had the Breda 20mm which were renowned for poor performance when comparaed to the MG 151 (?), and at altitude, they wanted speed to BnZ the bomber formations, not turn fight a much larger force of Mustangs than they could field with equivalent Luft pilots.

Hence they ended up with the FW 190 D9+ series, TA-152, and K-4. fast firing and flat trajectory 20MM, 30MM armaments, and high top end speed/climb performance.

I always had a real appreciation for the P-47 too. Love everything about it. Love the shape of the wing, how it commands a ramp while parked, there is nothing about it I don't love. Given a choice of piston WW2 machines on the American side - I'd personally own a P-47 before a Mustang, Corsair, or even P-38. I lost track of how many models of P-47's - balsa, plastic, bubble canopy, razorback, etc - I built as a kid.
The P-51 is sexy but very small. Ironically the ugly P-51 model without the bubble canopy kicks ass on the later model P-51's .
1668554133489.png

Picture of P-47's over Chino
1668553964750.png

But this, is the piston engine aircraft that kicks some ass. The A-1 Skyraider. Really long career, wasn't replaced until the A-10. I took these pictures at Chino.
1668554376993.jpeg

1668554670436.jpeg

Back