Dallas Executive Mid-Air / B-17 - P-63

Nope. Certainly not that aspect. You should check out "Race of Aces", specifically Dick Bong's recollection....and sure, it may be hearsay, but I place my weight of evidence on the guys doing the work, rather than the claimed escapades of an established celebrity at that point, but that's my personal bias.
Read that a while ago
5C20B880-F2E2-4B0E-A088-802EF1CFED96.png

Iirc, one of the comments about Lindbergh was that “he didn’t do anything special, everything he said was in the manual. He was just the only one who read it.”

Read that a while ago
View attachment 67859

Iirc, one of the comments about Lindbergh was that “he didn’t do anything special, everything he said was in the manual. He was just the only one who read it.”

I recall that comment. I was more referring to the claims made in it that he forced his way onto missions he shouldn't have been, played cowboy and got some people in danger, and then came back from the tour bad mouthing the servicemen

ive seen a few descriptions mentioning 'flight lines' for the show. The larger a/c had a flight line that it seemed to be tracking. They all mentioned the smaller a/c looked to be attempting to rejoin it's flight line which was to the left of the larger a/c and got to close and overshot it, hence the sharper bank. Seemed to make sense in its description

Underrated take.

Being willing to read the whole manual is important, then beyond that being able to synthesize different manuals together to do something new or creative is an underrated form of genius.

Yes but Tbf I had said the best looking fighter of ww2

I mean it was flying in the middle of the war. It just like a whole bunch of stuff wasn’t ready until the point of “who cares what we have is doing it fine…”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be hard to go through life and yet be so wrong all the time.

Fun story about the Tigercat, supposedly Gurmman's test pilot landed it after the first flight and said to" just start building them and don't change anything."
I've always had a thing for the F7F. I started working on the Rare Bear team while I was still in A/P school and had no experience. I recall before we'd actually gotten the Bearcat flying commenting that we ought to just build a Tigercat for racing, we could have twice the power and certainly go much faster. The crew chief at the time just shook his head and said "that's just doubling drag, failure points and man hours". He was right of course. Years later, when I worked for the one who can't be named, Joe Clark bought a very nice F7F and I was finally able to spend a little time around one, it was a nicely restored example with R2800-CB engines. It's also a very large fighter, it's not that much smaller than a B-25.

IIRC, there is only 1 "original" with matching serial numbers for all components (including the engine). I think there are something like 3 others, with original airframe/engine combos, but not distinctly serialized, and then several dozen that are the modified T-6s, or hodgepodge of airframes, different engines, etc.....similar to the Bf109s in existence, just much more rare

There are many more BF109s in existence.

A T6 with some bondo is not a Zero. There is one Zero with the Sakai engine, and 2 others flying in the U.S. that are basically hunks of crap bubble gumed together with a P&W stuck on the front.

There are a couple flying BF109s in the state but several in Europe. Count Buchons in that and you add maybe another dozen or so.

Looks like three of the guys who went down with it - the guy filming, the engineer standing in the cockpit, and one of the gentlemen in the belly.

I've always had a thing for the F7F.... It's also a very large fighter, it's not that much smaller than a B-25.

Not near as big as a B-25, it sits high on the landing gear however. The prop tips in this picture show why. Not uncommon to have a couple of these at the Chino Airshow.
1668734710095.jpeg

1668735388677.jpeg

That video missed the best part of the F7 demo, When it sneaks in from behind the crowd.
1668733711181.jpeg

Much better video here:

Attachments

• 1668735142582.jpeg
    1668735142582.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Tried to find a pic of a F7F and B-25 flying together or at least on the ramp but was surprised to not be able to find any. Someone get on that.

Not near as big as a B-25, it sits high on the landing gear however. The prop tips in this picture show why. Not uncommon to have a couple of these at the Chino Airshow.

There's your problem, they should have mounted the engines on TOP of the wings.
Like the OV-1

I can't really describe the "why," but I'm glad the CAF and others let these old gals shine and continue to fly, as they were meant to do. The loss is tragic, for sure, in TX, and there is no way to minimize that, nor to address any mistakes which may have happened. I can't personally embrace the idea that these planes should be relegated to dusty hangers or that men and women shouldn't fly them as a piece of living history.

Tante JU, below, is meant to honor those who fell the other day and to fly as she was meant to, with every other "old bird" who reminds us of what once was.

Tried to find a pic of a F7F and B-25 flying together or at least on the ramp but was surprised to not be able to find any. Someone get on that.

Most people don’t realize how enormous some aircraft are relative their peers or previous generations.

An F-15C and a B24 are the same size… And the Tomcat with its wings spread is massive compared to either.

I love the Air Force museum section on WWII where you walk in line from 1939 to 1943and later and you see just how much bigger planes got in literally months. Seeing a P40 and BF109 and then seeing the Jug just a couple planes over they look like toys by comparison.

Most people don’t realize how enormous some aircraft are relative their peers or previous generations.

An F-15C and a B24 are the same size… And the Tomcat with its wings spread is massive compared to either.

I love the Air Force museum section on WWII where you walk in line from 1939 to 1943and later and you see just how much bigger planes got in literally months. Seeing a P40 and BF109 and then seeing the Jug just a couple planes over they look like toys by comparison.

Well, similar length. B-24 wingspan is almost 3 times that of a F-15 (110’ vs 43’). F-14 wingspan is 64’. But yeah cause of what’s in between those specs the modern fighters seem bigger, and rhet probsbly are mass wise.

I can't really describe the "why," but I'm glad the CAF and others let these old gals shine and continue to fly, as they were meant to do. The loss is tragic, for sure, in TX, and there is no way to minimize that, nor to address any mistakes which may have happened. I can't personally embrace the idea that these planes should be relegated to dusty hangers or that men and women shouldn't fly them as a piece of living history.

Tante JU, below, is meant to honor those who fell the other day and to fly as she was meant to, with every other "old bird" who reminds us of what once was.

Wait.... you really believe that?

Absolutely no way to mitigate risks and errors?

Seriously

You have no idea.

Yikes!

I can remember in my younger days in the early 80s, seeing F7F Tigercat fire bomber planes sitting on alert at INW in northern AZ. Cool looking planes out of California.

Back