Dallas Executive Mid-Air / B-17 - P-63

At Chino airshows are ran the same way. Bombers, transports and fighter types on the same circuit at the same time. South runway for arrivals and departures. As many as 20 aircraft in the air at the same time with the bombers being a lot slower. As a former ATC'er I always really impressed at how well it works.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 123438.png

DSC08193.JPG

Should we ban auto racing too?

They threw away the mold when they made Todd. Anti-mask, pro-gun, anti-air show, anti woke, pro union,Tesla driver.
That one is easy to forget since motor sports has gotten insanely safe for what it is. F1 went 20+ years without a death, but I remember how striking the signs were when I went to my first race that said “MOTORSPORTS ARE DANGEROUS” and in no uncertain terms said, well, it’s always a possibility something could happen here that kills a driver or a spectator. They don’t exactly mince words when you buy the ticket.

How tragic. RIP to the those that were lost. A friend of mine is a pilot for a different B-17 (Sentimental Journey) and this headline had my heart racing until I read the specifics. Still an awful feeling thinking of the family and friends of those involved.

With the proviso that I've always found T-6s dressed up as Japanese aircraft kind of lame, if you can watch that and not think airshows are cool, I don't know how to help you. Which is not to say that they shouldn't be well-run, obviously.

PS. Watching the Blues there towards the end in light of MikeD's comments really gives you an appreciation for just how good they are. Those Navy guys are AMAZING, wouldn't you say? Maybe the best Aviators anywhere, I'm sure you'd agree!

I see the similarities from this accident to the F-18 vs KC-130 crash out of Iwakuni a few years back or the F-35 vs KC-130 over SoCal. Even the military can struggle with basic formation work.

I’ll submit that both of those mishaps were related to aircraft already established in formation, and breakdowns of basic wingman-ship. It seems this is an example of 2 flights tragically meeting in the same piece of sky, not in any briefed or understood formation.

What a boring take on life. FWIW, one of the leading causes of accidental death is driving. So if you're true to your word you better give that up too.

Go back and read my post. I wasn’t arguing against anything that can cause accidental death. Because literally anything can cause accidental death. I was arguing against things that have no productive purpose and have relatively high risk of accidental death. Driving is necessary to earn a living, to get food and clothing at the store, etc. I don’t know many people who go driving around in circles just for fun.

But to be clear, I am an advocate for mandating autopilots as soon as the technology is out of beta. Apes are terrible drivers.

Should we ban auto racing too?

They threw away the mold when they made Todd. Anti-mask, pro-gun, anti-air show, anti woke, pro union,Tesla driver.

It’s like people intentionally misrepresent my positions just to start an argument for sport.

I didn’t say anything about banning air shows. I said they were irresponsible. Lots of things are irresponsible, but as someone who doesn’t like government overreach, I don’t support outlawing them. I support people making wiser decisions on their own.

You forgot "militantly pro 2A, but hates the NRA".

You’re thinking of someone else. I’m a lifetime member of the NRA.

P-63 looks like it has pretty excellent cockpit visibility to me. Search results prior to this crash mostly talk about how good the visibility was on the P-39/P-63. I think someone just declared it has bad visibility and now everyone is repeating it because it's a plausible-sounding explanation that takes the edge off of the fact that the pilot obviously just messed up.

Back