Age 67

Heck, I don’t even want to fly until I’m 65.

That’s what they all say. Then they beotch about being forced out by the gobermint despite being healthy enough to fly.

I don’t get the anger about flying as a senior guy in your 60s. Assuming I live that long and still have a medical, that’s 41 vacation days annually and holding 20 day off lines. That’s basically already retired.

I wouldn’t be so sure that the upgrade time will change much from where it is now even with the vacancies. Still lots of displacements and senior FOs who may see a contract on the horizon and choose to upgrade anticipating improved reserve rules, pay, etc. I’d put the chances of downgrades a little lower in this bid but still fairly likely.

Shhhhhhh.

I'm going to be a captain February 1. You heard it here first from the all knowing, the CC.

You will also get a pony.

Stop being so negative. I just bought a new BMW with my captain money.

Ballin!!!

“Probably gonna get” is not a statement of known outcome. It implies a probability.

And boohoo. I don’t get the whining of anyone sub 5 yrs not getting a CA vacancy award.

“Probably gonna get” is not a statement of known outcome. It implies a probability.

And boohoo. I don’t get the whining of anyone sub 5 yrs not getting a CA vacancy award.

So wait I shouldn’t have gone out and bought an 80k car?

Damn man these payments are like 1500$ a month!

I can’t afford this! I wasn’t even thinking of upgrading nor did I bring it up. Then you said I would probably upgrade without me even mentioning it.

Oh and now I’m whining about it?

Wow it’s almost like nothing you say is even remotely true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You made your ambitions clear about taking the first possible upgrade, and how life is tough having to fly with some CAs. I hope you find the happiness soon.

Side note as a major airline pilot, pay cash for that 80k car. If you have to take a loan, you can’t afford that car.

You made your ambitions clear about taking the first possible upgrade, and how life is tough having to fly with some CAs. I hope you find the happiness soon.

Side note as a major airline pilot, pay cash for that 80k car. If you have to take a loan, you can’t afford that car.

I think you define the phrase "daft". Let me explain because that's probably too vague for someone as daft as you.

I'll probably still drive my 2005 Corolla to work if I don't have enough money to stop driving to the airport to make money (retire). I was making a joke.

I was joking around about buying a new car since it's extremely unlikely I will upgrade. Yet here you are alluding to the fact I'm likely to upgrade and that I'm somehow complaining about it. Also on this thread I have never once brought up upgrade, upgrading at AS or how I am treated as an FO at my airline by captains. You. Brought. All. Of. That. Up.

Being put in a leadership position at AS doesn't require people skills or talent as you demonstrate so well. Everything you say is either an outright lie or just an obfuscation of what the reality of the situation is like. In other words, you are completely full of crap.

OH and in case you really are that dumb. You aren't getting a pony either.

I think you define the phrase "daft". Let me explain because that's probably too vague for someone as daft as you.

I'll probably still drive my 2005 Corolla to work if I don't have enough money to stop driving to the airport to make money (retire). I was making a joke.

I was joking around about buying a new car since it's extremely unlikely I will upgrade. Yet here you are alluding to the fact I'm likely to upgrade and that I'm somehow complaining about it. Also on this thread I have never once brought up upgrade, upgrading at AS or how I am treated as an FO at my airline by captains. You. Brought. All. Of. That. Up.

This particular thread, no, but other threads yes.

Being put in a leadership position at AS doesn't require people skills or talent as you demonstrate so well. Everything you say is either an outright lie or just an obfuscation of what the reality of the situation is like. In other words, you are completely full of crap.

Must have hit a nerve. Care to back that up? I’ve been a realist about this place. Sorry if it didn’t work out for you as you envisioned.

On seconds thought, scratch it. I really don’t care to know where your true mindset is. I figure people can just figure it out and make up their own minds reading posts over the years here. Have a good one, enjoy summer.

You know how @Derg is always saying to never take financial advice from a pilot? The above is exhibit A. Successful, wealthy people don’t pay cash for things they can get 2% loans for. Apparently this is why @Cherokee_Cruiser is always so obsessed with his 401k. He makes such terrible financial decisions that his 401k is all that he’s got.

Saw a good number of Alaska Airbus trainees at their downtown PHX hotel studying in the lobby. Training on a plane that’s leaving the fleet?

You know how @Derg is always saying to never take financial advice from a pilot? The above is exhibit A. Successful, wealthy people don’t pay cash for things they can get 2% loans for. Apparently this is why @Cherokee_Cruiser is always so obsessed with his 401k. He makes such terrible financial decisions that his 401k is all that he’s got.

Right back back at ya. I didn’t realize “successful wealthy people” included airline pilots. You keep telling me I’m not. Weird, guess I am now.

Saw a good number of Alaska Airbus trainees at their downtown PHX hotel studying in the lobby. Training on a plane that’s leaving the fleet?

Yup. This new bid adds 25 LA Bus FOs, effective Jan 31.

Previous bid still has pilots training into SF and LA Airbus.

All 320s apparently gone by Dec 2022 and 321s by end of 2023. Though with MAX delays, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the 320s stay into 2023.

Last edited:
I was gonna say, you’re better off taking the 2% interest and investing your money. Just going straight into S&P would pay your interest, maybe your car, and then give you a profit during conservative times.

but that assumes you invest I guess. Some people probably loading up on silver in their basement and think the great reset is around the corner.
This thread is FIRE!!! :stir:

I was gonna say, you’re better off taking the 2% interest and investing your money. Just going straight into S&P would pay your interest, maybe your car, and then give you a profit during conservative times.

but that assumes you invest I guess. Some people probably loading up on silver in their basement and think the great reset is around the corner.
Youd be better off not putting 80K into a depreciating asset to start with.

2% car loans? Where are those these days?

Going straight into S&P? Pretty sure YTD has been disastrous.

I see the point, that if the APR you get on a loan is lower than what you could invest that would have been the cash for the car into another asset that appreciated/gains more than the APR, then it is worth it. Hope you time it well. The super rich have play money. They can sink it in just about anything and not feel a dent. The avg American family doesn’t.

Youd be better off not putting 80K into a depreciating asset to start with.

True, but these days, it’s been the opposite. Cars bought new 1-3 yrs ago are worth more today.

Newsflash: if you’re a pilot at a major airline and you can’t afford an $80k car, then you are financially incompetent.

Define afford. I can afford to do a lot of things. Doesn’t mean it’s a financially wise/sound decision.

Had a FO ask (out of the blue) what kind of boat I owned. I said I don’t have one. He was shocked. Then he showed me pics of his boat. Later in another convo he said he likes to do 100 hr credit months. I think it’s “have to” instead of “likes to.”

Define afford. I can afford to do a lot of things. Doesn’t mean it’s a financially wise/sound decision.

Had a FO ask (out of the blue) what kind of boat I owned. I said I don’t have one. He was shocked. Then he showed me pics of his boat. Later in another convo he said he likes to do 100 hr credit months. I think it’s “have to” instead of “likes to.”
So owning a boat means you have no money? You always stereotype people after 5 minutes of conversation or just at work?

Back