Age 67

Dang, that’s nuts. Good for them.

I still think if you need a loan for an Audi you probably shouldn’t buy it. But please, let America America itself. :)

We’d be much more screwed if Americans weren’t spending money and taking loans this year.
No, it’s not about needing a loan. That’s what the others are trying to tell you. It’s about leveraging a loan for your benefit. Do you understand? And of not, no biggie! I’ll explain cordially without demeaning banter.

No, it’s not about needing a loan. That’s what the others are trying to tell you. It’s about leveraging a loan for your benefit. Do you understand? And of not, no biggie! I’ll explain cordially without demeaning banter.

I get that. But the average family isn’t in the position to be leveraging loans in times like these. Very few people are successful at that, far too many end up with negative equity because - surprise surprise - they get materialistic and want out of their brand new car just 3 yrs later in order to get the new version 2.0 and roll their negative equity. The ones leveraging loans represent a very small part of America. I dont put most pilots in the list of financially savvy people, after all, there’s a reason people say don’t take financial advice from a pilot.

If working 100 hour months provides him the quality of life that he wants, then that’s none of your business.

Being able to afford something is not a complicated question. Either you have the income to cover it or you don’t. As a major airline pilot making a minimum of $150k/yr, if you can’t afford an $80k car payment, then again, you are incredibly incompetent at managing your finances.

I know you love speaking in absolutes, but this statement is a bit too judgy to let go. Could it just be that the person in question just has different priorities? I make more than that as non airline Captain, but absoultely couldn't afford an $80k car payment right now. Why? Because at this time in my life, an $80k car is not my priority. I have 3 cars that I am very happy with (only 1 with a current payment and it is at 0% interest).

What are my priorities? Well, I have 2 kids so my wife and I made the decision to buy a house last year in one of the best school districts in my city. Doing so is expensive, but that is where we decided to spend our money. I also put money in to my 401K. And I put money in a 529 plan for each of my children. And I like having left over money at the end of the month so that I can afford unexpected expenditures like the $17k HVAC I had to put in 4 months ago. Non of that makes me financially incompetent, but it certainly leaves me in a place where I couldn't tack on the payment on an $80k car.

I know you love speaking in absolutes, but this statement is a bit too judgy to let go. Could it just be that the person in question just has different priorities? I make more than that as non airline Captain, but absoultely couldn't afford an $80k car payment right now. Why? Because at this time in my life, an $80k car is not my priority. I have 3 cars that I am very happy with (only 1 with a current payment and it is at 0% interest).

What are my priorities? Well, I have 2 kids so my wife and I made the decision to buy a house last year in one of the best school districts in my city. Doing so is expensive, but that is where we decided to spend our money. I also put money in to my 401K. And I put money in a 529 plan for each of my children. And I like having left over money at the end of the month so that I can afford unexpected expenditures like the $17k HVAC I had to put in 4 months ago. Non of that makes me financially incompetent, but it certainly leaves me in a place where I couldn't tack on the payment on an $80k car.

Then you can afford it, you just choose to spend your money on other things. That’s a big difference.

This is where some of us Asians look at the American culture and think dang man, some of y’all are making bad financial decisions, even if you can afford it now on paper.

Meh, I think that is one type of human condition.....keeping up with the joneses or something like that. I know you are a particular SW flavor of Asian, which is, I believe, different. But there aren't enough rich people in SE/Central Asia putting kids through the mid level state school that is my home town, to afford all the exotics said kids are seen driving around town, in cash. There are some Chinese that are trying to keep up with their counterparts, via their children. Much like Americans do via their own material possessions. And like you, I think it is silly

I love my BMW. Especially when I’m at a red light and look over at some family of 4/5 sitting in their Honda basic or Ford boring model. I roll down my window and throw my spare change at them then peel off.

E37BC3B9-8A6B-4876-8CA2-08E6D4C77194.gif

I love my BMW. Especially when I’m at a red light and look over at some family of 4/5 sitting in their Honda basic or Ford boring model. I roll down my window and throw my spare change at them then peel off.

View attachment 66272

Do you look at the dad in those cars, noticing the look of envy on his face towards you, that turns into a look of complete and utter disappointment and disgust at his own life choices, being stuck in dad-hell with kids and boring car for at least the next 10-18 years of his life; when he could be free as a bird, doing whatever the hell he wanted, whenever the hell he wanted, in a cool ass car? But instead, he has to watch you peel off in total freedom, while he is stuck going to Chuck E Cheese for the day, for the third time this week, with nothing to look forward to in life?

What you talking about, I like Chuck E. Cheese!

Wife refuses a minivan. Says she’s too young to be seen driving that.
My wife said the same thing. I even remember her saying she’d never drive a minivan when we were just dating 15 years ago. Then we got one. Now she tells me she can’t imagine NOT having one.

Do you look at the dad in those cars, noticing the look of envy on his face towards you, that turns into a look of complete and utter disappointment and disgust at his own life choices, being stuck in dad-hell with kids and boring car for at least the next 10-18 years of his life; when he could be free as a bird, doing whatever the hell he wanted, whenever the hell he wanted, in a cool ass car? But instead, he has to watch you peel off in total freedom, while he is stuck going to Chuck E Cheese for the day, for the third time this week, with nothing to look forward to in life?

That isn’t true. He has the kids turning 18 and moving out to look forward to. :)

That isn’t true. He has the kids turning 18 and moving out to look forward to. :)

Until they turn out to be lazy do-nothings who just figure out that their associate degree in dessert chef technology isn’t getting them anywhere, and they are still living at home at age 35. then the weight of dad’s poor life choice to become a dad, comes to a head. As he again sees the same BMW driver look at him at the red light, then peel off….again. :) :)

We like our minivan. If I pull out the last row of seats I can even fit a stack of 4'x8' plywood or drywall in the thing. Along with all kinds of random stuff. (I do miss my old BMW, but not the thousands that went to the mechanic... I really miss my 80's BMW, I wish I kept that one.)

Anyhoo...

Track the "Let Experienced Pilots Fly" Act.

bruh

Back