Age 67

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Looks like things are progressing into “real” status as Sen Graham of SC has proposed this legislation. Time to write your congressman/Senators.

IDK ... planned my last three years from 62 to 65 to get the hell out at 65. Lost a few bucks monthly from both social security and my NYS retirement by not staying in until 67 but it was practically doable. Biggest thing for me was to have a car fully paid-off - no three or four hundred dollar monthly payment - and I was able to do that. It made all the difference in the world.

Now, I did my traveling in another lifetime and my personal needs are hugely modest. The rampant inflation hasn't helped much, of course, but the pups and I still eat well and we have everything we ever need. I'm even able to help out from time-to-time those whose life situation isn't as stable as mine.

My well-earned resources over a lifetime, and my children know it's for my use now, although likely some will be left to pass on. I call it practical and a fair return for fifty years of honest work, and I enjoy the hell out of it. Ain't coming this way again, as nearly as I can tell. Quality of life went up dramatically on the day I said "Good-bye" to the workplace.

Of course, YMMV, and it depends SO much on the way you want to spend these years of silver-hair and the resources you might need to do so. Work if you want; get out when you can. Plan for the future you'd like to embrace. I'm not sure that ANYone else, Senator, flying public or otherwise, gets to decide for any of us.

Baring some economic tsunami, even with my retirement # I don’t want to even go to 67, let alone 65. Lol. Amazing. But I know everyone situation is different… but this doesn’t solve any issues. Classic American corporation/government logic - kick the can down the road 2 years. That will really help!

Baring some economic tsunami, even with my retirement # I don’t want to even go to 67, let alone 65. Lol. Amazing. But I know everyone situation is different… but this doesn’t solve any issues. Classic American corporation/government logic - kick the can down the road 2 years. That will really help!

I was actually thinking this is wholly similar to the militaries response to its own manpower shortages…. Just make the active service requirement longer.

I’m curious and this is just a for the room question… Do you feel there would be wider Union/Pilot support for a 67 age raise, that had a sunset/grandfather clause limit on it… and did something like push educational grants or tuition forgiveness specifically for the purpose of ratings/time building. Get some breathing room on growing a new population without forcing companies and heir lobby arm to start making plays for drastic stuff like resending the 1500 rule or worse….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m curious and this is just a for the room question… Do you feel there would be wider Union/Pilot support for a 67 age raise, that had a sunset/grandfather clause limit on it…

No, that would make it worse. Anybody turning 65 post sunset date would suffer under two years of relative stagnation due to lack of career progression, and then not be able to recoup those losses when forced out two years "early".

This is a good watch if you have IG:

This would actually be a hilarious outcome. Watching these geezers who are used to their cushy international schedules get stuck flying a 737 four legs a day again would teach them a lesson for stagnating careers for their greed.
I’m wondering about the contractual language with this. I don’t think there’s anything that says that would have to leave a widebody position if this happens. No they won’t be able to fly intl flights but you’d have hundreds of guys sitting around for a couple of domestic widebody flights.

Last edited:
I’m wondering about the contractual language with this. I don’t think there’s anything that says that would have to leave a widebody position if this happens. No they won’t be able to fly this flights but you’d have hundreds of guys sitting around for a couple of domestic widebody flights.

If I was the company I’d just displace them involuntarily and let them grieve it. I suspect most MECs would be pretty amenable to negotiating a settlement. No one is going to the mat for these geezers.

Back