SWA 9/14/21

They have an opt out option, but you have to pay extra for your medical insurance and if you miss work due to COVID, sick time use is not allowed. At least, that’s the situation for now.
For unvaccinated you have to use your own sick time/liability. Vaccinated will get 100% pay protected without using their own liability.

Did anyone else get an e-mail saying you have to prove your vaccination status in order to continue the hiring process, even if you didn't get an interview?

It looks like we can add Southwest to the list of majors requiring the jab as a pre-req to hiring now. That makes 3, I believe, with SWA joining Delta and United.

the email was just to Confirm you have been vaxxed, plan to before employment or Or pass entirely.

But they are sending out testing dates as well now

Id rather get a vaccination and make 180k+ a year than not get a vaccination and be stuck working where you currently are. Just saying..it takes sacrifice to get the best.

Id rather get a vaccination and make 180k+ a year than not get a vaccination and be stuck working where you currently are. Just saying..it takes sacrifice to get the best.

Some people are really worked up about it, for sure. I’ve even heard of some people leaving rather than getting the jab and going to other places that don’t require it - which I don’t understand at all (also, there’s no guarantee your new company won’t eventually require it also, even if you leave aviation completely.)

Last edited:
I whole heartedly agree that its none of anyone's business about ones medical status but if....chip or no chip, Swollen testicleless or no swollen testicleless..just take the vac and earn what we all should be making...

few days ago my status changed to under review, and yes i got an email saying southwest now requires all new hires and current employees to be vaccinated

all the major airlines besides delta now require the vaccine. delta is gonna cave too, i can feel it

Every part 121 airline will require it since they all contract with the .gov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They have an opt out option, but you have to pay extra for your medical insurance and if you miss work due to COVID, sick time use is not allowed. At least, that’s the situation for now.
Is this only for current employees? Or new hires? The wording of SWA's e-mail made it seem like you either prove you are fully jabbed or are removed from the job consideration. I know that Delta isn't Southwest but still.

Is this only for current employees? Or new hires? The wording of SWA's e-mail made it seem like you either prove you are fully jabbed or are removed from the job consideration. I know that Delta isn't Southwest but still.
From what I know, opt out is for existing employees only. All new hires have to get the jab prior to starting.

Delta requires it of all new hires and for the moment, has an opt out for current employees with the stipulations that have been noted above. I’m fairly certain they will require it of all employees soon as they contract with the government and that is the reason that SWA gives for requiring it.

SWA now requires everyone at the company must get the shots new hire or existing by Dec 8th or you don’t work at SWA.

Did anyone else get an e-mail saying you have to prove your vaccination status in order to continue the hiring process, even if you didn't get an interview?

It looks like we can add Southwest to the list of majors requiring the jab as a pre-req to hiring now. That makes 3, I believe, with SWA joining Delta and United.
From what I understand, if any airline has DOD contracts, active or inactive, their employees have to be vaccinated. We just got the notice at Atlas and I saw an internal American email being passed around as well. So unless y’all are gonna write off all major airlines/cargo airlines, you’re gonna have to get the vaccine or leave aviation all together. It’s not the news anyone wants, but it’s the news we all have.

From what I understand, if any airline has DOD contracts, active or inactive, their employees have to be vaccinated. We just got the notice at Atlas and I saw an internal American email being passed around as well. So unless y’all are gonna write off all major airlines/cargo airlines, you’re gonna have to get the vaccine or leave aviation all together. It’s not the news anyone wants, but it’s the news we all have.
Not just majors for the passenger side. Hearing from people at my old regional that they are about to be mandated for contracts as well.

Not just majors for the passenger side. Hearing from people at my old regional that they are about to be mandated for contracts as well.
Yeah that’s what I alluding to by active or inactive. Most regionals *can* do things for the DOD, and so just because they can, not necessarily that they do, they will need to be vaccinated or face termination. It’s practically an umbrella that’s going to catch pretty much every air carrier in the US regardless of if they do any active flying for the DOD. These folks wanting these major/cargo jobs, who are writing a list of airlines hiring that do not require a vaccine are going to have 0 airlines on their list by the end of the year. So what I’m trying to say is everyone just needs to bite the bullet and go get the vaccine unless you have some sort of medical exemption. Your airline won’t have a choice but to let you go, and no one wants to see you lose your job.

Looking at the pay spreadsheet..seems like the southwest starting pay is relatively low compared to the other majors or even Alaska airlines?

Looking at the pay spreadsheet..seems like the southwest starting pay is relatively low compared to the other majors or even Alaska airlines?
It is and it isn't. You start out as an assistant DX which only pays $55k/yr with premiums (I make this at my regional). Once you're "upgraded" to full DX the pay goes to roughly $67k a year which is not bad in that area, and I have been told people can clear $100k with OT in 3 years, not sure how realistic that is or isn't though. Alaska makes more per year but Seattle is ridiculously expensive, so it's actually less when adjusted for cost of living. WN does make a bit less than American in the same city though.

Back