1500hrs quantity<quality

curiously, how is it way out of the way to do a landing, when you’re doing holding and multiple instrument approaches from TFD into CGZ or P08? Seems like a landing, or multiple landings, would fit right into the flow of all of that.
CGZ wasn't 50 so you had to go out of the way. I'm lazy man. Let's go to the stack. Do our approaches and hopefully end early because TPac was working us 55 hour weeks so every hour I gained back I celebrated a small victory. But I would land in CGZ for our swap. Usually do a valley rally for the other student home to DVT. Approach in Mesa and then DVT. Done.

P08 was just awkward out of the way from the flow of things.

I’d hope that a 1,500 pilot has had a diversity of experience. That’s sort of the point of the exercise.

I have learned different things teaching than I did as an SIC in a jet than I have as a single pilot in a light twin. All of which adds up to “experience”, some of which is even applicable to flying large jets in a 121 environment.

CGZ wasn't 50 so you had to go out of the way. I'm lazy man. Let's go to the stack. Do our approaches and hopefully end early because TPac was working us 55 hour weeks so every hour I gained back I celebrated a small victory. But I would land in CGZ for our swap. Usually do a valley rally for the other student home to DVT. Approach in Mesa and then DVT. Done.

P08 was just awkward out of the way from the flow of things.

P08 and the fact it’s VOR approach originated at TFD, but went wandering off east away from everyone else. Haha.

I hear T-pac and Oxford on CTAF at my 0100 flight times, yapping it up with the interesting gossip and such.

curiously, how is it way out of the way to do a landing, when you’re doing holding and multiple instrument approaches from TFD into CGZ or P08? Seems like a landing, or multiple landings, would fit right into the flow of all of that.
When practicing instrument approaches one may want to practice the instrument missed approach too.

My biggest F-up last competency check was a missed approach.

When practicing instrument approaches one may want to practice the instrument missed approach too.

My biggest F-up last competency check was a missed approach.

indeed. But these guys do multiple holds and approaches, shooting one of three (the fourth one isn’t really used) approaches over and over that all originate from the same place. There is easily time to make one a touch and go or full stop/taxi back.

Can you or anyone explain why?

they really shouldn’t be. They are a pre-briefed contingency to any instrument Approach or visual approach, or at least should be.

A go around isn’t inherently dangerous or an overload of work. It’s only that way when a crew makes it that way by failing to pre-brief one, and by extension, not being in the mindset to expect one and be ready for same.

Have had two real missed for Wx mins, and two or three actual go-arounds in VMC to a closed traffic pattern, and all of them were relative non-events in a transport category aircraft, since they’re required to be pre-briefed as part of the Approach brief, and thus expected, even if they don’t happen. They’re also practiced a lot.

They’re also practiced a lot.
I am going to have to disagree with this. Once a year is not enough. They really need to be practiced more and in different phases of the approach. The act of a go around isn't necessarily hard. It's so easy when you're at minimums and don't see the runway. Then you fly the pre briefed missed. But there's so many that can't be briefed and you have to do it on the fly.

I am going to have to disagree with this. Once a year is not enough. They really need to be practiced more and in different phases of the approach. The act of a go around isn't necessarily hard. It's so easy when you're at minimums and don't see the runway. Then you fly the pre briefed missed. But there's so many that can't be briefed and you have to do it on the fly.

I agree with you. If they are rarely practiced or if they’re made to be more difficult than they need to be prosecution-wise, then they indeed become a complex maneuver with a low(er) comfort level come execution time.

My operation does it differently than most it seems, as we get a fair amount of practice with both missed off an an approach from mins, as well as visual go arounds. To where they become a relative non-event. And in both, keeping the general procedures simple. Even an on the fly visual go around to a closed traffic pattern isn’t difficult, is easier even, as you don’t even have to use TOGA or any full thrust, nor fully clean up the jet as you would do with a full missed for another approach or a radar pattern.

Mike nailed it, but to add, I've never done a go around or gone missed in the plane I'm currently flying outside the sim, that's how rare they can be.
I've done 12 in the MD11 and each one was so unique I could distinctly tell you about each one. None of them were for being unstable or wx below minimums. Most were a result of having ref above 160 sequenced behind a light 757 or bus going into Graceland. The power that is unleashed when you press that button on this airplane is startling in its own right.

they really shouldn’t be. They are a pre-briefed contingency to any instrument Approach or visual approach, or at least should be.

A go around isn’t inherently dangerous or an overload of work. It’s only that way when a crew makes it that way by failing to pre-brief one, and by extension, not being in the mindset to expect one and be ready for same.

Have had two real missed for Wx mins, and two or three actual go-arounds in VMC to a closed traffic pattern, and all of them were relative non-events in a transport category aircraft, since they’re required to be pre-briefed as part of the Approach brief, and thus expected, even if they don’t happen. They’re also practiced a lot.

Thanks for the explanation. I occasionally have seen a go-around here in PHX. One time I was with a friend on the parking garage at SkyHarbor and he had a scanner. Tower told Southwest to go around because landing traffic was still on the runway. Tower gave Southwest the instructions to climb to an altitude, then gave a heading and told them to contact departure. Seemed simple enough, from listening to it over a scanner, thanks for the explanation letting me know that its not.

Last edited:
Heck some people here don't remember Silver State Helicopters.

People forget that the bulk of students in the late 80s through the 90s went through mom-n-pop schools that had 10-15 aircraft, some as many as 20-25, and not big schools like FSI, ERAU or UND.

As you moved into the 90's, some of those places got fairly large (Comair Academy, for example, where being owned by Delta means everything!), and some got to nearly 80 aircraft or more. Planes were plentiful and cheap, and you could get a lease on one with pocket change and a signature. But these places never got past the mom-n-pop finances, and so you saw some pretty spectacular flameouts.

There was a place like that called Bolivar, which was in Tennessee. They got very, very large, nearly 100 aircraft, and then one day "poof"...no wind down of operations, no steadily decreasing fleet count, just poof....and padlocks.

Back