Envoy Hiring

All my friends at "Voy" are constantly telling me how dissatisfied they are at how their flow is constantly getting lower and lower. When I was hired at OO it was what 50% of new hires and now it's 20 a month? This guy is such a kool-aid company man, its honestly really weird.

*looks at major Miami expansion*

Anyway.

82C50608-B17B-4485-9146-508BEB8C0BCF.jpeg

Last one. Maybe.

He was a check airman at Eagle for maybe six months. Until he bombed an oral and they pulled his letter. One of several failures is the rumor.

But, before he was qualified as a check airman he was either flying a trip as an FO or getting OE with another check airman, don’t know - but he was picking up a jet we flew in. During deplaning he barged into the cockpit and practically screamed “the airplane has a hole in it!”

The best part of this story is the captain on this trip was an old salty guy that was very rough around the edges. Lots of guys didn’t like flying with him but I actually really enjoyed flying with him. He had a really short fuse but for the most part he was a great pilot and fun to have a beer with.

So when Mongo barges in accusing us of flying an airplane with an airworthiness issue, this captain was having no part of it. The issue being referred to was listed in the paperwork and I knew it because I was a much better FO back then (I think.)

Anyways- captain hands him the logbook and asks “are you taking this jet out?” And he said yes. “Well here’s the logbook it’s your problem now!”

He was really worked up and left the cockpit in a huff. I had to do a post flight so I took a very leisurely stroll out the makeshift RJ jetbridge at the LAX nest. I zipped on my safety vest (FM requirement) and saw that Mongo was out behind the right wing with the logbook and looking very impatient. I conducted the most professional and most detailed post flight before a layover in my entire career. I counted static wicks, I observed the tires in detail, and ensured to check all the things (I can’t remember the CRJ, sue me.)

When I finally made it back to where he was standing, very agitated now, he points to this hole in the wing to fuselage fairing that he was essentially accusing me of missing on my preflight and thus accusing us of flying a jet in an un-airworthy manner - if only for the paperwork.

I saw the hole, and maybe the silver dot? and asked to see the logbook. I opened it to the front cover where all the stickers were- and pointed to a TDMI that described the exact write up.

“Huh.” Not a lot of acceptance, apologies, or any level of self awareness.

Now, we are standing on the ramp, and I’m wearing my safety vest and he is not. I asked him “hey, where is your safety vest?”

He turned on a heel and stormed off.

I finished my very professional post flight and got back to the cockpit and packed up and walked down to the terminal with the captain. Mongo and his captain were there waiting and I leaned in towards the captain and asked “hey, is a safety vest still required for the walk-around?”

“Technically, yes, you need a safety vest on.”

“Maybe Captain Mongo should set a good example for our new hires then and wear one while he’s on the ramp.”

I do not remember what he said but there was a flurry of very terse and tense words said at me but I just walked away. Because that’s how I deal with confrontation, ok!?

Anyways- that might be my favorite one.

Your point? Who cares? No cadet is going to walk away from AA so this is a mute point.

Good grief.... really? Are you seriously that obtuse or just an ostrich with its head buried in the sand?

So, you left a golden ticket career at AA for a totally unknown ULCC with high potential to fail in the future? Got it. Sounds like a solid move.

Hmmm... everyone that I know that flowed got furloughed... meanwhile the other pilots that went to ultra low cost carriers did not get furloughed. It indeed was a solid move.

Why? Do you have something against free speech? Why should one voice be silenced but others be allowed to freely state their opinion? I thought this was the point of the forums. You could certainly block me and better yet, why bother responding to me at all like you did?

We won’t block you... you can say whatever you like but we will speak up to correct your hogwash, refute your shortsighted opinions of others career choices, and we will continue to congratulate those who actively pursue their individual goals/dreams without sitting on their laurels and waiting for their number to be called.

Last one. Maybe.

He was a check airman at Eagle for maybe six months. Until he bombed an oral and they pulled his letter. One of several failures is the rumor.

But, before he was qualified as a check airman he was either flying a trip as an FO or getting OE with another check airman, don’t know - but he was picking up a jet we flew in. During deplaning he barged into the cockpit and practically screamed “the airplane has a hole in it!”

The best part of this story is the captain on this trip was an old salty guy that was very rough around the edges. Lots of guys didn’t like flying with him but I actually really enjoyed flying with him. He had a really short fuse but for the most part he was a great pilot and fun to have a beer with.

So when Mongo barges in accusing us of flying an airplane with an airworthiness issue, this captain was having no part of it. The issue being referred to was listed in the paperwork and I knew it because I was a much better FO back then (I think.)

Anyways- captain hands him the logbook and asks “are you taking this jet out?” And he said yes. “Well here’s the logbook it’s your problem now!”

He was really worked up and left the cockpit in a huff. I had to do a post flight so I took a very leisurely stroll out the makeshift RJ jetbridge at the LAX nest. I zipped on my safety vest (FM requirement) and saw that Mongo was out behind the right wing with the logbook and looking very impatient. I conducted the most professional and most detailed post flight before a layover in my entire career. I counted static wicks, I observed the tires in detail, and ensured to check all the things (I can’t remember the CRJ, sue me.)

When I finally made it back to where he was standing, very agitated now, he points to this hole in the wing to fuselage fairing that he was essentially accusing me of missing on my preflight and thus accusing us of flying a jet in an un-airworthy manner - if only for the paperwork.

I saw the hole, and maybe the silver dot? and asked to see the logbook. I opened it to the front cover where all the stickers were- and pointed to a TDMI that described the exact write up.

“Huh.” Not a lot of acceptance, apologies, or any level of self awareness.

Now, we are standing on the ramp, and I’m wearing my safety vest and he is not. I asked him “hey, where is your safety vest?”

He turned on a heel and stormed off.

I finished my very professional post flight and got back to the cockpit and packed up and walked down to the terminal with the captain. Mongo and his captain were there waiting and I leaned in towards the captain and asked “hey, is a safety vest still required for the walk-around?”

“Technically, yes, you need a safety vest on.”

“Maybe Captain Mongo should set a good example for our new hires then and wear one while he’s on the ramp.”

I do not remember what he said but there was a flurry of very terse and tense words said at me but I just walked away. Because that’s how I deal with confrontation, ok!?

Anyways- that might be my favorite one.

I love you

Good grief.... really? Are you seriously that obtuse or just an ostrich with its head buried in the sand?

Hmmm... everyone that I know that flowed got furloughed... meanwhile the other pilots that went to ultra low cost carriers did not get furloughed. It indeed was a solid move.

We won’t block you... you can say whatever you like but we will speak up to correct your hogwash, refute your shortsighted opinions of others career choices, and we will continue to congratulate those who actively pursue their individual goals/dreams without sitting on their laurels and waiting for their number to be called.

giphy.gif

Furloughed for 3 months? And paid to sit home and maybe still doing so. Id hardly say that was a the determining factor of whether or not their career choice was a solid one or not.

Back