ALPA Pride Laynard

Boomer captains:

QWaQ.gif

Unfortunately, that also is appropriate to some younger folks, especially the ones who have 'found/follower of' Jesus.

Last edited:
Been wearing my company provided EQUAL Rainbow pin prominently for over two years and have had zero issues.

99.9% are bloviators, but risk adverse and never act on the comments they make, at work, at least.

What are you saying, that you wear it to see what reaction you get from your FOs? If one is going to wear social-political pins, just make sure one does so because they truly mean it and believe in it, as opposed to doing it as virtue signaling. I'm a minority but I don't believe in wearing my politics at work. I have the standard ALPA lanyard and even that I think is a political statement. I'm considering just buying a generic bland (no word) lanyard. Of course I have no problems with anyone wearing any pins. Wear all the BLM, Pride, MeToo, etc, pins/lanyards you want.

What are you saying, that you wear it to see what reaction you get from your FOs? If one is going to wear social-political pins, just make sure one does so because they truly mean it and believe in it, as opposed to doing it as virtue signaling. I'm a minority but I don't believe in wearing my politics at work. I have the standard ALPA lanyard and even that I think is a political statement. I'm considering just buying a generic bland (no word) lanyard. Of course I have no problems with anyone wearing any pins. Wear all the BLM, Pride, MeToo, etc, pins/lanyards you want.
You really don't get the concept of why anyone would ever do anything for anyone else, do you?

Oh I do.

I just think for me, there's a time and place. And my work place flying airliners isn't it.
And it's not the time nor place for outright bigotry but I've heard plenty of that in my career since I started pumping gas as a teenager because people think I'm "one of the good ole' boys." I don't wear any special pins because I'm mostly too lazy to get any, and we don't really have any, but I don't think a simple gesture to show other pilots that you welcome them and aren't cool with that kind of thing is "virtue signaling." I remember all the racist BS I'd hear from the freeloading old guys that sat around drinking our FBO coffee right in front of the flight school counter. You think a young black kid that came in thinking about learning to fly is going to want to become part of that community if they overheard that kind of stuff? That's why we absolutely need this kind of stuff to set a good example and give an atmosphere of inclusion. If someone's so bigoted they can't handle a gesture like that, that's their problem.

And it's not the time nor place for outright bigotry but I've heard plenty of that in my career since I started pumping gas as a teenager because people think I'm "one of the good ole' boys." I don't wear any special pins because I'm mostly too lazy to get any, and we don't really have any, but I don't think a simple gesture to show other pilots that you welcome them and aren't cool with that kind of thing is "virtue signaling." I remember all the racist BS I'd hear from the freeloading old guys that sat around drinking our FBO coffee right in front of the flight school counter. You think a young black kid that came in thinking about learning to fly is going to want to become part of that community if they overheard that kind of stuff? That's why we absolutely need this kind of stuff to set a good example and give an atmosphere of inclusion. If someone's so bigoted they can't handle a gesture like that, that's their problem.

Lanyards on a pilot? I've never experienced racism and bigotry in the terminal (that I can recall). In the flight deck it's only you and one other guy/girl. For the most part people are smart enough to avoid controversial issues. But if anyone starts down that road, then speak up and say something when it happens. Wearing a pin or lanyard isn't really stopping someone else from doing those things. I'm a minority and probably the "worst" minority to be after 9/11, so I get it.

Lanyards on a pilot? I've never experienced racism and bigotry in the terminal (that I can recall). In the flight deck it's only you and one other guy/girl. For the most part people are smart enough to avoid controversial issues. But if anyone starts down that road, then speak up and say something when it happens. Wearing a pin or lanyard isn't really stopping someone else from doing those things. I'm a minority and probably the "worst" minority to be after 9/11, so I get it.
You're again proving my point that you seem to not really be all that concerned with whatever happens outside of your bubble because "well, nobody has been racist about me to my face." Like Seggy said, most people don't like confrontation and are just bloviators, there's a reason it never comes up in front of you. Try being a white guy from the south when people get really comfortable about what they think they can say in front of you. I've heard some horrific • throughout my life under the guise of "wink wink, nudge nudge, am I right?"

You're again proving my point that you seem to not really be all that concerned with whatever happens outside of your bubble because "well, nobody has been racist about me to my face." Like Seggy said, most people don't like confrontation and are just bloviators, there's a reason it never comes up in front of you. Try being a white guy from the south when people get really comfortable about what they think they can say in front of you. I've heard some horrific • throughout my life under the guise of "wink wink, nudge nudge, am I right?"

That goes back to my point, about people being a-holes. But as I said above, if I see it and I'm there, I'll speak up. I just don't believe in wearing my politics on myself.

Human rights and decency aren't politics.

If it was wasn't, it would have never gone to courts. And if they are human rights, no one would be scared about the SCOTUS make up. Yet people are convinced gay rights and trans rights were going to be set back.

If it was wasn't, it would have never gone to courts. And if they are human rights, no one would be scared about the SCOTUS make up. Yet people are convinced gay rights and trans rights were going to be set back.

Federal trans persons working for government contractors can be fired just for existing. Trans people can't join the military. Thomas and Alito are saying that Obergefell v Hodges needs a redux. Those are just the few I can think of off the top of my head.

Just because your team has decided to make something political in order to get Cletus to support them doesn’t mean that it’s inherently political.

P.S. You truly are the most selfish creature I have ever encountered. Assuming you‘re not just trolling.

Federal trans persons working for government contractors can be fired just for existing. Trans people can't join the military. Thomas and Alito are saying that Obergefell v Hodges needs a redux. Those are just the few I can think of off the top of my head.
Im not a lawyer so I probably misunderstood the cases. The supreme court doesn't allow for firings except under religious jobs right? Like if you are lgbtq and the cathoic church sees it in your timeline they can fire you as an example. Narrow framework in other words. Does the fed contract with any church groups? I can't find a lot

I haven't checked this for being current, but being that the ruling was in July, it's probably pretty close.

I haven't checked this for being current, but being that the ruling was in July, it's probably pretty close.

And wasn't it Gorsuch, of all people, who wrote the opinion of the Court?

p.s., in my grumpier moments I actually agree in substance with the Chief Justice regarding Obergefell v. Hodges...because the national conversation had largely been won at that point. And as with abortion, I fear Democrats will sit idle on this court victory and NOT enshrine the right in law.

I wear it on my jacket or lanyard to support my friends in the community, especially those in aviation who have to hide for years because of ignorance we are surrounded by.

If you really ‘don’t care’ if folks wear a pin, why did you ask? It sure seems like you do in fact care.

Last edited:
I wear it on my jacket or lanyard to support my friends in the community, especially those in aviation who have to hide for years because of ignorance we are surrounded by.

If you really ‘don’t care’ if folks wear a pin, why did you ask? It sure seems like you do in fact care.

I only asked because in your post it seemed like you wore it to gather reactions. Now that you’ve written this, I understand your viewpoint.

Back