Furlough Estimates

Any suggestions for a starter bike that doesn't break the bank? Just for exercise and weight loss.

My Walmart bike is just too heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trek Marlin 4 or 5
Co-Op DRT1.1
Cannondale Trail 8
Diamondback overdrive 8

All solid bikes for under $500, try craiglist too (you can find $1000 bikes for half the cost that are used)

With the way some people talk in here, it's no wonder there's suicides. People are struggling right now. Struggling to figure out what's next, how to provide for families. And here you guys are talking about airlines never hiring again.

Let people get their lives sorted out and figure out what's happening before we start talking about all this super depressing stuff. It's also the doomers that haven't offered to reach out and ask people are doing. Maybe reach out and ask how people are doing? Try to prevent suicides, not cause them.

It truly does suck, but I guess that due to the way I group up and observed my parents deal with great adversity has made me be able to simply carry on.

My dad job went away 5 years prior to him retiring which caused him to lose a large portion of his pension. He had to go find a new trade, pay for schooling, and start all over in his late 50's. His was salary was 30% less in the new field.

Our house burned to the ground when I was 8 years old. Some of us were in it at the time and barely escaped with our lives with only clothing on our backs. So we had to start completely over.

Our savings were decimated through both of these events. On top of all of this my parents still managed to give what little that they had to help with as much as they could to pay for flight training. It was not much, but it sure did help.

The way that they just simply carried on is something that will stick with me.

My advice to you ladies and gentlemen who may be in for a hard time is to not dwell on it. Keep moving forward. Keep networking. Take it one day at a time. And simply carry on.

I've been spending a good portion of my days out searching far and wide for jobs for my friends as if I were unemployed. There is a lot of work out there. It may not be the most desirable employment. But there are lots of jobs.

Faux News uses this almost exclusively to whip their supporters into a frenzy. Look no further than their headlines. It's almost always doom/gloom inspired to instill fear into the simple-minded conservative. Strange how America, according to the Orange Menace, can be simultaneously great and a quagmire of anarchy that only he can fix.

CNN sucks too, but they are nowhere near on the same level. I haven't used CNN for news in years because I try to actively avoid bias. More people need to do the same.
Totally agree. I’m not a Fox supporter, just showing the unfortunate reality of what “news” has become.

Notable quotes:

“UBS also noted positive trends this week. The firm’s “evidence lab” reported improvements in domestic and international bookings, traffic, and revenue trends for September and October, including some of the strongest week-to-week gains since the pandemic started.

Domestic flight traffic in August held steady at around 30% of levels seen last year, but September is looking up at about 50%.”

I think both are pretty unknown. We are still finding new symptoms of the virus, but I'm suppose to believe we can prevent it and know the side effects in 6 months. I'll take my chances with a natural disease vs a man made vaccine that's unproven Maybe in a year or two when the bugs are worked out, I'll give it a shot
When you say unproven, there are human trials completing now, so at least some level of proven.

Is there an "ick" factor vaccines have i dont see?
Actual passenger numbers this week:

8/30 - 43%
8/31 - 31%
9/1 - 25%
9/2 - 31%
9/3 - 41%

The weekend seems to do slightly better, but the numbers are pure ugly still.
Well, gets a lot worse when you consider labor day was sep 2nd last year. Weve got pre labor day traffic and still not through 1million or 50% compared to last year. *Shrug*

We’re “completely hosed” until there’s a vaccine.

Once there’s a vaccine, we go from “completely hosed” to “hosed.”

We go back to 70-80% travel about 1 yr after an effective vaccine comes out to when everyone who wanted it, took it.

Completely agreed with IATA that it’ll be 2024 before we recover to 2019 airline levels. And that’s best case scenario.

No hard feelings. I've had a roller coaster of emotions the last 6 months myself.
(Think we’re all there)
F668439A-BAF3-43B0-8940-E095836E74D6.png

Last edited:
Mostly flatish, easy hills, paved bike trails. Overweight late middle aged rider. Tough to say on distance because I'm trying to improve endurance and go a little farther each ride. Right now it's embarrassingly low.

I’d look at the Specialized Allez Elite (or sport). It’s an aluminum bike w/some carbon up front on the forks (helps with weight and ride). The elite comes with the Shimano 105 group set (shifter/brakes etc) which IMO is the least expensive quality set out there.

We’re talking $1250 for a bike that nips at the heels of bikes around $3000. The Allez sport is the same bike but with a lower quality group set, comes in around $1000. If it were me I’d get the Elite.

Mostly flatish, easy hills, paved bike trails. Overweight late middle aged rider. Tough to say on distance because I'm trying to improve endurance and go a little farther each ride. Right now it's embarrassingly low.

So baseline bike for that I'd get would be this or similar.

It's not going to break the bank but it is nice enough to keep you motivated to ride it. It's safe with disk brakes. The parts are nice enough to not need immediate replacement.

I also sent you a PM

So baseline bike for that I'd get would be this or similar.

It's not going to break the bank but it is nice enough to keep you motivated to ride it. It's safe with disk brakes. The parts are nice enough to not need immediate replacement.

I also sent you a PM

I have a similar bike, and I second the suggestion, it’s pretty comfortable and not hard to move along at a good clip without going full on fat Lance Armstrong.
I’ve had mine for two years now and have put a ton of miles on it.

2020 is a wash for the airlines. Conventions, sporting events, holiday travel to grandmas aren’t happening. The question now is, will they return to a viable degree in 2021.

If so, can’t imagine it will be until the second half of the year. Everyone is already starting to talk of cancelling early year conferences. So the first few months are almost certain to still be dead.

Back