Speaking of Southwest - July 2019 Hiring

Depends on the competition. If you apply as an internal, you might be against way more applicants.

How would being internal vs external change the number of people that apply to a position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody know the status of the union contract for WN dispatchers? Heard a rumor that negotiations are going on now and/or the current contract will be ending soon.

How would being internal vs external change the number of people that apply to a position?

Say the class will have 10 internal and 10 external hires.

They receive 100 internal applicants vs 50 external applicants. If internal you'd be against 100 people as oppose to 50 external.

I don't know how many applicants majors receive on average though.

It’s like this. If you are internal and trying to get into dispatch, there are usually quite a few others doing the same exact thing. Whereas usually, externals are at a regional applying to every major opening they see. So an internal applicant usually is limiting their options along with the other people trying to backdoor their way in. They do have some advantages like already being with the company and getting to know people in the NOC but there are quite a few employees at WN now and plenty of them are interested in dispatch with their cert. so competition can be intense. Of course, competition is intense either way as are all the other major dispatch openings.

me are in contract negotiations currently.

if you’re looking for somewhere to live id suggest commuting unless you like the concrete jungle/zero lot/non outdoors-friendly type environments.

Say the class will have 10 internal and 10 external hires.

They receive 100 internal applicants vs 50 external applicants. If internal you'd be against 100 people as oppose to 50 external.

I don't know how many applicants majors receive on average though.

You’re still competing against everyone. They won’t hire an idiot just because they’re internal.

Does being internal help at some places? Yes, but you’re still competing against people that have actual dispatch experience and pigeon holing yourself to that company since you don’t get dispatch experience you need to be a viable candidate anywhere else.

You are incorrect. Close to 99% of our internal applicants don't have dispatch experience.

Idk if you'd know the breakdown; but, would any of the external applicants have no dispatch experience?
The whole being an internal thing sucks lol I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to decide if I should just wait out the next hiring announcement at the shop I'm currently at orrrrr just aplying and trying to get some experience =\

Fairly sure all who have been hired at WN externally have experience. (at least within the last 5-10ish years) I have not met any of them that have not.

If you are looking to backdoor your way in, keep in mind some positions have a minimum time required in that position before you can even apply to dispatch. And that would be assuming you could outcompete the others thinking of doing that same exact thing.

Fairly sure all who have been hired at WN externally have experience. (at least within the last 5-10ish years) I have not met any of them that have not.

If you are looking to backdoor your way in, keep in mind some positions have a minimum time required in that position before you can even apply to dispatch. And that would be assuming you could outcompete the others thinking of doing that same exact thing.

Let's take a poll. Everyone's that's been given an offer, how many years of dx experience do you have?

Everyone's that's been given an offer, what did you do to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack?

Back