The LAX commute, three month redux

Whenever it works and you “make money” it’s like 5 minutes over block. Block or better ftw. I’d much rather get to Indy faster and turn our 30 minute turn into 50 minutes so I can get me some Starbucks. I flew pistons long enough...now we go fast. Most of our Captains agree. Going in and out of ORD all days helps because you know they want you at 300 or better anyways.
I usually tell them "I like flying... but I also don't like being cooped up in an airplane any longer than I have to be."

Wow. I don't have much of an ego but that'd be a pretty serious "we need to have a talk about who's in charge" conversation.

Nothing worse than idiots that make this job harder than it needs to be. Fortunately I never had to deal with this particular brand of idiocy from a right seater, but yeah that’s definitely something that would need to be dealt with PRONTO.

Where do those guys come from anyway?! I’m in the right seat again, and I cannot even remotely imagine saying something like that to a captain. Unbelievable.

Ahh, it appears some copilots that are “limbs akimbo” about making money with block time need to review what goes into block time and how certain actions can reverberate during the day.

Where do those guys come from anyway?! I’m in the right seat again, and I cannot even remotely imagine saying something like that to a captain. Unbelievable.

That's my thinking. I spent most of my career in the right seat, and my MO was to cooperate to graduate unless the guy in the left seat was trying to get me killed or violated. Trying to tell him how things should be in his cockpit never would have occurred to me as an acceptable way to behave.

Nothing worse than idiots that make this job harder than it needs to be. Fortunately I never had to deal with this particular brand of idiocy from a right seater, but yeah that’s definitely something that would need to be dealt with PRONTO.

Yea. In my short time as a captain (just a little over a year and half) I’ve seen stuff that I’d never even think to do as an FO. New hires have been very pleasant. It’s the 2 year “senior” FOs that seem to give me the most issues. Thankfully it’s not the norm and 99% of the pilots, CAs and FOs have been an absolute pleasure to fly with.

Last edited:
It’s probably just the age-related pith affecting my attitude and interpretation, but this probably explains why when I book a leg on a regional, they‘re generally late. Ha!

I fly with a lot of captains that calculate the "out time + block". On legs where it'll be close I'll do the addition myself and they seem to appreciate it. Now that we're #MostWestCoast and fly through SEA a lot, there's ample opportunity to make some extra dough, but it happens on the ground and flying slower will only net a min or two. A few hours a month of over blocking is nice.

My leg, after we finish the taxi check:
FO: (writes a time on top of the TOLD card) “We make money at :xx.”
Me: “I’m gonna fly fast so I have time to get a $1 large coffee at the outstation.”
Return leg, FO flying:
FO: “We make money at :xx, I’m gonna cruise at 250kts”
Me: “I drank too much coffee, fly fast so I don’t have to do the walk of shame.”

Some pouting ensues but frankly I don’t care if I turn my trip sheet pink and have zero desire to spend anything more than the minimum time necessary sitting in the pointy end of the old Canadian Space Shuttle.
Recently-unearthed footage of me driving the CRJ as fast as the segment speed limits permitted:
giphy.gif

Well, we use “pilot brains” to think about this stuff. I had a newer copilot that was flabbergasted how “over block“ ATL-LAX was scheduled and how in the world were we going to make money on that leg.

”Well, we’re departing ATL at ‘rush hour’ and we’ll end up # 5 billionty in line for departure. LAX is generally a cluster at night and we’ll be waiting for a gate for an extended period of time, lets just worry about flying the jet and not add any unnecessary operational stress because we’re looking into someone else’s room through a keyhole”.

Mind = Blown and I’m sure I ended up on his no fly list for my reluctance to run around with my hair on fire.

how in the world were we going to make money on that leg.
If you’re relying on building your own bonus it’s time to reconsider a few things.

Granted, my expenses from this summer are Trump like levels of YOOJ, but they’re going to be well in hand in about a month or so.

Never worth the effort.
Yup. Some genius got fired for time travelling after hi6s about it, alleged carpet dance when caught first time and mere months before flowing. It's like kleptomania.

Whenever it works and you “make money” it’s like 5 minutes over block. Block or better ftw. I’d much rather get to Indy faster and turn our 30 minute turn into 50 minutes so I can get me some Starbucks. I flew pistons long enough...now we go fast. Most of our Captains agree. Going in and out of ORD all days helps because you know they want you at 300 or better anyways.
Starbucks in Indy? Blasphemy! Copper Moon, something like buck eighty for any size coffee for crew.

I know a guy that was about to flow and got caught time traveling. Fired. No flow. No million dollar retirement. No nothing.

Couldn’t have happened to a better guy.

“Stupid Pilot Tricks”.

You are under operational and data surveillance 24/7 at work and just because they haven’t said anything yet, doesn’t mean you’re not already busted and they’re casually collecting data. Teeeeeeeeeeeeer’ust me. :)

Back