The LAX commute, three month redux

SEA has been a runway short for a while.

It's entertaining that the East-West debate has been based on LA vs. NJ, two places that represent the worst of both sides. Can we have AK vs. SC or ME?

NJ was actually good. You just have to get used to the passive aggressive NJ mothers, put them in their spot and once they see you ain’t gonna take their crap, then they were okay.

Nah. SEA blows. SEA is the new SFO.

1-2-3 rule.

1 cloud, 2 planes, 3 hr delay.

Clear and a million LAX will typically get you in no problem.

Clear and a million at SEA, while still in the cruise levels: Slow to .74 , turn right heading blah blah. Then given on course. Then given a heading to the left, slow to .73. Then given on course. Then max forward airspeed. Then don’t exceed 280. Slow down, go fast, turn here, turn there.

Don’t even get me started when there actually are clouds at SEA.
Paid by the minute right?

Paid by the minute right?
Yeppppppp...I can plan at a minimum an extra 5hrs a bid just in "block or better time"...even more better when doing OE and getting that sweet, sweet override.

We start getting paid at door closed...and we're told "We want you to push at 20 mins before flow time", I can do that :D

(and just so we're all clear here...it's the Port of Seattle + the airlines that are causing the delays for SEA. Port allocates gates based on # of departures...so you want more gates, gotta offer more departures. That's why we're using that goat rope that is Cargo 5. Airlines boosted # of flights per hour, but the controllers are rated at "XXX# of flights per hour"...want them to handle more, that includes a pay bump for them...which the FAA isn't doing. That's how it was explained to me by the controllers at SEA)

Also the AA cafeteria has nothing healthy at all. And it’s hot inside of there. Avoid LAX

Lol...left Hawaii a few months back on a ZED with my oldest dependant. Brought the entire crew Starbucks cards. Was given a glass of water! Oh well
52a0c73deae9826edd224ebc7bc5d9e5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I just gave up the phx-lax commute last month. Joined your fleet but switched up to SLC. I couldn’t take it anymore. With the AA displacements and now the SWA guys going to LAX for upgrade i needed a change.

Yeppppppp...I can plan at a minimum an extra 5hrs a bid just in "block or better time"...even more better when doing OE and getting that sweet, sweet override.

We start getting paid at door closed...and we're told "We want you to push at 20 mins before flow time", I can do that :D

(and just so we're all clear here...it's the Port of Seattle + the airlines that are causing the delays for SEA. Port allocates gates based on # of departures...so you want more gates, gotta offer more departures. That's why we're using that goat rope that is Cargo 5. Airlines boosted # of flights per hour, but the controllers are rated at "XXX# of flights per hour"...want them to handle more, that includes a pay bump for them...which the FAA isn't doing. That's how it was explained to me by the controllers at SEA)
That's the right way to do it. Nothing makes me cringe when the guy next to me is over there scribbling and goes "we start making money at :xx"
"Cool. I'm not flying this jet at .62 to make an extra 5 bucks".
Then they proceed to act pouty about it or won't stop hinting at "making money" the whole time. And now half the time we can't even receive takeoff data until within 8 prior to schedule departure, so it's all a crapshoot anyway.

That's the right way to do it. Nothing makes me cringe when the guy next to me is over there scribbling and goes "we start making money at :xx"
Then they proceed to act pouty about it or won't stop hinting at "making money" the whole time. And now half the time we can't even receive takeoff data until within 8 prior to schedule departure, so it's all a crapshoot anyway.

My leg, after we finish the taxi check:
FO: (writes a time on top of the TOLD card) “We make money at :xx.”
Me: “I’m gonna fly fast so I have time to get a $1 large coffee at the outstation.”
Return leg, FO flying:
FO: “We make money at :xx, I’m gonna cruise at 250kts”
Me: “I drank too much coffee, fly fast so I don’t have to do the walk of shame.”

Some pouting ensues but frankly I don’t care if I turn my trip sheet pink and have zero desire to spend anything more than the minimum time necessary sitting in the pointy end of the old Canadian Space Shuttle.

My leg, after we finish the taxi check:
FO: (writes a time on top of the TOLD card) “We make money at :xx.”
Me: “I’m gonna fly fast so I have time to get a $1 large coffee at the outstation.”
Return leg, FO flying:
FO: “We make money at :xx, I’m gonna cruise at 250kts”
Me: “I drank too much coffee, fly fast so I don’t have to do the walk of shame.”

Some pouting ensues but frankly I don’t care if I turn my trip sheet pink and have zero desire to spend anything more than the minimum time necessary sitting in the pointy end of the old Canadian Space Shuttle.

Had a FO do exactly this.

Start of trip, first leg, as soon as the door closed he goes, “hey can you drop the brake?”

I already knew what type of FO I had by this comment alone. Every leg he did the math during cruise by taking block out time and adding flight block time, and announcing “bingo time.” That was his actual phrase. I just laughed.

Never worth the effort.
Exactly. When it happens it happens and there’s nothing you can do about.
Not to long ago, on go home leg captain ask
“Wanna make some money?”
“Uuugggh”
Perfect blue sky day up the east coast from
Florida. Dude makes us drag ass all the way back to base where we arrive 1 min under block. Ill never be that guy!

Whenever it works and you “make money” it’s like 5 minutes over block. Block or better ftw. I’d much rather get to Indy faster and turn our 30 minute turn into 50 minutes so I can get me some Starbucks. I flew pistons long enough...now we go fast. Most of our Captains agree. Going in and out of ORD all days helps because you know they want you at 300 or better anyways.

Back