Trump wants his personal Pilot to lead the FAA

I’ve been in this industry since 2007. The amount of absolutely ridiculous things I’ve heard come from the other seat regarding non aviation related issues surpass what I hear when I’m not at work (and that includes the internet).

For some reason, aviation attracts a kind of person that when meticulously trained do do one thing, things they suddenly are amazing at everything.

I’ve been in this industry since 2010. So less than you. But while I have heard ridiculous things from the other seat, this generally has not been my experience. Of course, what we’re e describing is subjective experience.

We have a guy that is a legit flat earther.
But...international airline pilot...curvature...flightplan?

I’ve been in this industry since 2010. So less than you. But while I have heard ridiculous things from the other seat, this generally has not been my experience. Of course, what we’re e describing is subjective experience.
Just in the short time my headset would be plugged into the ground comms panel before/during pushback on a Brasilia and RJ for 3 years as a ramper, I heard some of the dumbest/most confidently spoken things I've ever heard. Same goes with conversations with jumpseaters and pilots(especially Skywest lifers) at the gate when I was a gate agent. I definitely understand where everyone you are quoting is coming from on this one. A seemingly disproportionate amount of pilots, from CFIs to airline pilots, seem to think they know how to run everything better than those running things because pilot and most of my friends in the industry seem to get the same vibe. ATC does not seem to have that, but controllers are weird in a different less flat-earthy way.

Last edited:
For some reason, aviation attracts a kind of person that when meticulously trained do do one thing, things they suddenly are amazing at everything.

Case in point: 95% of home repairs / renovations attempted by pilots (myself included).

And apparently almost half the population of United States believes this. It’s not shocking some became pilots. Nor is it a reason to paint with a broad brush.

Yes, if you believe the earth is 5,000 years old, you deserved to be painted with the broad brush of complete idiocy. The sad fact that you are joined by many other idiots is not really a defense.

Let's get off our high horse for a moment.

In the not to distant past, the qualification to be deputy, then subsequent FAA administrator was little more than being Ms Kansas.

Let's look at the micro for a moment. My current base chief pilot is a fantastic base chief pilot, because he's a leader, not because he's a pilot.

I've seen many pilots, not leaders, in the left seat.

I’ve been in this industry since the mid 90s, and while I agree with you on most of the pilots I’ve flown with, ive also flown with pilots who are dentists, lawyers, and even State Legislators. I had a successful career as a stock broker before I started airline flying. You need to be a bit more careful with that brush.

You were a stock broker? Oh sheesh, now I really wouldn’t listen to your pilot investment advice ;)

J/k

I had no idea you were a career changer into aviation.

I’ve been in this industry since 2007. The amount of absolutely ridiculous things I’ve heard come from the other seat regarding non aviation related issues surpass what I hear when I’m not at work (and that includes the internet).

Meh. I think a lot of that has to do with being crammed in a broom closet with the other dude(tte) for several days at a time with little to do at times other than make small talk.

Aviation and pilots are not as special as we think we are. You think pilots whine? Boy howdy, try managing mechanics for a few years. You wanna see grownass men being precious snowflakes that’s a good place to do it. Talk about highly trained, type A individuals who think their training transfers to everything? Ever hung out with anyone in the medical profession?

In summary....
F36F8995-EC86-435B-8E95-8CA007A911F3.jpeg

Yes, if you believe the earth is 5,000 years old, you deserved to be painted with the broad brush of complete idiocy. The sad fact that you are joined by many other idiots is not really a defense.

Agreed. But he mentioned that was ONE pilot he spoke to. And I then compared it to a significant percentage of Americans, not other pilots. My subjective experience is most pilots believe in science. And I never made that defense.

I hate to say it, but if you can’t find the idiot in the room...

I’m taking issue with the statement that ‘pilots are terrible at doing other things.’ Maybe you have a reading comprehension issue, or you just fly with weird pilots. You don’t know me, but thanks for the insult. Always easy on the internet.

I don't know the guy and maybe he's supremely qualified but "a pilot" is qualified to lead the FAA in the same way that someone who got a splinter out with tweezers is to be a surgeon.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That’s true, but what I’m taking issue with is ‘pilots are terrible at other things outside of being pilots.’ Just because one is not qualified to run the FAA, doesn’t support this statement.

I don't know the guy and maybe he's supremely qualified but "a pilot" is qualified to lead the FAA in the same way that someone who got a splinter out with tweezers is to be a surgeon.

That’s true, but what I’m taking issue with is ‘pilots are terrible at other things outside of being pilots.’ Just because one is not qualified to run the FAA, doesn’t support this statement.
Oh I wasn't speaking to you specifically, just commenting in general.

There are lots of pilots that are good at other stuff.

Back