Trump wants his personal Pilot to lead the FAA

Pilots are, in general, pretty terrible at doing things other than being pilots.

Running a government organization, even one related to flying, has very little to do with actually flying.

Is it just ‘pilots’ and not say physicians, plumbers, attorneys, cops, firefighters, as being ‘terrible at doing other things’ aside from their profession? If so, how did you come to this conclusion? Do you have objective data? Or is it just because, your a pilot, and this is your subjective experience with the relatively small number of people you’ve spoke to in the cockpit about this?

Additionally, aside from the requisite small talk on say, a 3 day trip, how could you even determine that someone was ‘terrible’ at doing other things outside of being a pilot? I can’t imagine how you could make this determination.

Out of the 10s of thousands of airline pilots in the United States, you would dismiss every single individual pilot because ‘pilots are, in general, pretty terrible at doing things other than being pilots.’?

Pilots, like pretty much anyone, come from varied backgrounds and many have other interests, hobbies and professions (including Drs, lawyers, engineers, builders, and some who are financially successful outside of being a pilot). Dismissing a class of people based on one profession is illogical and smacks of stereotyping.

Is it just ‘pilots’ and not say physicians, plumbers, attorneys, cops, firefighters, as being ‘terrible at doing other things’ aside from their profession? If so, how did you come to this conclusion? Do you have objective data? Or is it just because, your a pilot, and this is your subjective experience with the relatively small number of people you’ve spoke to in the cockpit about this?

Additionally, aside from the requisite small talk on say, a 3 day trip, how could you even determine that someone was ‘terrible’ at doing other things outside of being a pilot? I can’t imagine how you could make this determination.

Out of the 10s of thousands of airline pilots in the United States, you would dismiss every single individual pilot because ‘pilots are, in general, pretty terrible at doing things other than being pilots.’?

Pilots, like pretty much anyone, come from varied backgrounds and many have other interests, hobbies and professions (including Drs, lawyers, engineers, builders, and some who are financially successful outside of being a pilot). Dismissing a class of people based on one profession is illogical and smacks of stereotyping.

I’ve been in this industry since 2007. The amount of absolutely ridiculous things I’ve heard come from the other seat regarding non aviation related issues surpass what I hear when I’m not at work (and that includes the internet).

For some reason, aviation attracts a kind of person that when meticulously trained do do one thing, things they suddenly are amazing at everything.

I’ve been in this industry since 2007. The amount of absolutely ridiculous things I’ve heard come from the other seat regarding non aviation related issues surpass what I hear when I’m not at work (and that includes the internet).

For some reason, aviation attracts a kind of person that when meticulously trained do do one thing, things they suddenly are amazing at everything.

I’ve been in this industry since the mid 90s, and while I agree with you on most of the pilots I’ve flown with, ive also flown with pilots who are dentists, lawyers, and even State Legislators. I had a successful career as a stock broker before I started airline flying. You need to be a bit more careful with that brush.

My favorite was a 45 min long discussion with a guy who was certain that the earth was only 5,000 years old.

Time and again, stupid-rich people have a small inner circle of trust, and if they like you, nepotism reigns supreme. "Oh you know about flying, you can run the FAA". The latest I'm hearing is Trump would have run into parkland school. FFS.

I’ve been in this industry since the mid 90s, and while I agree with you on most of the pilots I’ve flown with, ive also flown with pilots who are dentists, lawyers, and even State Legislators. I had a successful career as a stock broker before I started airline flying. You need to be a bit more careful with that brush.

Because lawyers and politicians are usually incredible people.

Pilots aren't smart enough, as a group, to vote in their own economic self interest or with the labor movement. If we can't figure out something that basic, then we as a group demonstrate our incompetence outside of the cockpit.

While there are exceptions, as a whole, Jimmy is right.

Pilots aren't smart enough, as a group, to vote in their own economic self interest or with the labor movement. If we can't figure out something that basic, then we as a group demonstrate our incompetence outside of the cockpit.

While there are exceptions, as a whole, Jimmy is right.

That doesn’t mean pilots are terrible at doing other things outside the cockpit. That’s the statement I’m taking issue with.

My favorite was a 45 min long discussion with a guy who was certain that the earth was only 5,000 years old.

And apparently almost half the population of United States believes this. It’s not shocking some became pilots. Nor is it a reason to paint with a broad brush.

Back