Land after learning about reg violation?

B.) Declare an emergency and land at the nearest suitable airport?

I'm glad no one selected this option. I would have some questions for someone who did this, received priority handling from ATC to a divert airport due to it, had tower at that airport declaring an Alert 1 and potentially rolling ARFF trucks out (depends on local SOP), and it turns out this is the reason for it.

Not every aircraft even has spare FA jumpseats. But let's say that we do. So when I put this untrained passenger in the FA jumpseat, and they end up interfering in an emergency evac and slowing it down, or a stray galley cart breaks loose during landing and injures them, not to mention the customer service issue of they paid for a seat and they're getting a stiff board... (I'd certainly want reimbursement if I was a passenger..) all because of some customer's noncompliance? Nah, the noncompliance is on the customer (and the gate agent should have done better due diligence). Two wrongs don't make a right, if I don't have a seat an FA jumpseat doesn't suddenly become an option, it's prohibited in our FOM.

So when I put this untrained passenger in the FA jumpseat, and they end up interfering in an emergency evac and slowing it down,.

The airlines place people in exit rows all the time who, through sheer inability or incompetence, would more than likely interfere with an emergency evac out the overwing's, or slow it down. Regardless of the fact that they gave a yes answer.

Not every aircraft even has spare FA jumpseats. But let's say that we do. So when I put this untrained passenger in the FA jumpseat, and they end up interfering in an emergency evac and slowing it down, or a stray galley cart breaks loose during landing and injures them, not to mention the customer service issue of they paid for a seat and they're getting a stiff board... (I'd certainly want reimbursement if I was a passenger..) all because of some customer's noncompliance? Nah, the noncompliance is on the customer (and the gate agent should have done better due diligence). Two wrongs don't make a right, if I don't have a seat an FA jumpseat doesn't suddenly become an option, it's prohibited in our FOM.

You put a flight attendant in the cockpit jumpseat. I believe the safest thing is for everyone to have a seat with a seat belt.

You put a flight attendant in the cockpit jumpseat. I believe the safest thing is for everyone to have a seat with a seat belt.

So you would knowingly remove a Flight Attendant from their required duty station, thus being in intentional noncompliance with the same regulation you quoted earlier?? (121.311)

Hint: This takes an ASAP report that would have been accepted to a situation where the ASAP report can not be accepted.

You need to put down the shovel before you dig a hole so deep that you can't see the Big Brown Desk anymore.

Which reg is that?

I'll admit that a quick search doesn't reveal a reg number, and my company doesn't have extra FA seats, so it's not covered in our FOM.

So I may have misspoken on that point.

On the planes I fly, I would definitely continue, I would not put an FA in the cockpit (away from their duty station), file an ASAP, and forget it.

So you would knowingly remove a Flight Attendant from their required duty station, thus being in intentional noncompliance with the same regulation you quoted earlier?? (121.311)

Hint: This takes an ASAP report that would have been accepted to a situation where the ASAP report can not be accepted.

You need to put down the shovel before you dig a hole so deep that you can't see the Big Brown Desk anymore.

Im not 100% committed to that because you have weigh now what is in all the passengers best interests on landing, not just one passenger. But in moderate turbulence where everyone needs to be seated I would do it, for example over the Atlantic or Pacific. I'm guided by what's in the interests of everyone's safety drawing on available resources. I ask myself if someone could be hurt or killed. It's a hypothetical situation but it could happen. I would put a pax in an extra flight attendant seat though to open a seat for a child. Passengers do and have sat in FA jump seats when a seat breaks.

Im not 100% committed to that because you have weigh now what is in all the passengers best interests on landing, not just one passenger. But in moderate turbulence where everyone needs to be seated I would do it, for example over the Atlantic or Pacific. I'm guided by what's in the interests of everyone's safety drawing on available resources. I ask myself if someone could be hurt or killed. It's a hypothetical situation but it could happen. I would put a pax in an extra flight attendant seat though to open a seat for a child. Passengers do and have sat in FA jump seats when a seat breaks.

Yet, you've taken a crew member who is trained to respond to that sort of incident from their duty station.

Back