The end of SMO?

Closing airports is not a good thing for our industry.

I see the bigger problem that aviation is inaccessible to most. If even recreational flying is a hobby out of reach of the vast majority, they will see airports as city-funded country clubs for the 1%.

If I owned a home in Santa Monica and didn't fly, the immediate property value boost by closing the airport would be nice...

For you or for all pilots?

Well...For me, actually. Probably not for the jet operators that operate around California out of SMO who don't have to worry about stretching a large cabin jet to the east coast. The place is a pain in the a$$. The clients can drive the extra couple miles to LAX.

On the other hand, I would've rejoiced if SNA had closed and NZJ been turned into a proper airline airport.

Agreed on the closing it to turbine aircraft idea, though. That'd nicely solve the "real" noise issue.

Back before my airline days I worked at Albertsons. As an aspiring pilot I was astounded that an airline CA was out front petitioning against the repurpose of El Toro as an air carrier airport. California is just a bunch of NIMBYs it seems.

I see the bigger problem that aviation is inaccessible to most. If even recreational flying is a hobby out of reach of the vast majority, they will see airports as city-funded country clubs for the 1%.

If I owned a home in Santa Monica and didn't fly, the immediate property value boost by closing the airport would be nice...

Except the plan is to build low income housing. And history has shown us that that leads to a decline in surrounding property values, and a spike in crime.

i hope they hire more police officers.

They did a study about closing RHV and the statiscians said there'd be a crime spree with medium density housing taking over the property.

Well...For me, actually. Probably not for the jet operators that operate around California out of SMO who don't have to worry about stretching a large cabin jet to the east coast. The place is a pain in the a$$. The clients can drive the extra couple miles to LAX.

Drive a couple extra miles in LA traffic.... That's why California needs so many airports. Van Nuys to Burbank is only five or six miles but sometimes can take over an hour to drive. Last time I was down there, I looked at driving VNY to Tamperini, only thirty miles or so and nearly a two hour drive in 'light' traffic.

Just make it a piston only airport, problem solved. I love flying into SMO but I hate having to do it in a jet. It is a potentially dangerous airport, the approaches suck and it is a PITA.
Why I said they should just displace the threshold 1000' either side. Problem solved. At least for the 135 guys...

Just the ones flying critical wings to TEB on a hot day.

You know about the noise sensor take off?

That's a gas in the X

My point is two fold.
-I don't like to see people say "great, close that airport because (I) don't like it.
-"just drive an extra xx distance to this other airport." No. I paid millions of dollars for my travel to be convenient for me not you.

My corporate days were full of this stuff. After deciding yes to these two things:
Is it legal? Is it safe?
It's about the HMFIC.

My point is two fold.
-I don't like to see people say "great, close that airport because (I) don't like it.
-"just drive an extra xx distance to this other airport." No. I paid millions of dollars for my travel to be convenient for me not you.

My corporate days were full of this stuff. After deciding yes to these two things:
Is it legal? Is it safe?
It's about the HMFIC.

No it's not about the HMFIC. The HMFIC can drive a few extra miles if he wants to non-stop to TEB. It's safety first with me. I don't like pulling beach umbrellas or palm tree twigs out of my landing gear upon landing in TEB.

I have numerous stories about my company backing us up on these things and most of the time the clients are safety-conscious and are cool with it.

No it's not about the HMFIC. The HMFIC can drive a few extra miles if he wants to non-stop to TEB. It's safety first with me. I don't like pulling beach umbrellas or palm tree twigs out of my landing gear upon landing in TEB.

I have numerous stories about my company backing us up on these things and most of the time the clients are safety-conscious and are cool with it.

Re-read my post. To me, it sounds like you're doing things you don't feel are safe. That's on you not the client or the airport.

Kind of sad seeing what NZJ has become, with the old hangars still in place and rotting away. At NTK, one of the hangars collapsed on one end, smashing an airship that was being constructed in the hangar. Whether or not it can be fixed, I haven't heard.
It can, but the cost is estimated at $10 Million. They ain't got the money to fix it.

My point is two fold.

Is it legal? Is it safe?
It's about the HMFIC.

I guess it all depends on what people consider safe.

My definition of safe was considerably different that former colleagues. When passing through about FL470 I had a discussion about why the Air Force requires a pressure suit at and above FL500 with the captain of the week. It seemed comforting for El Captitan that the at the time recent catastrophic and rapid 737 depressurization of a SW flight was handled without much trouble.

But that is when it dawned on me that Captain Stupendous didn't realize the rather large difference in cabin volume between a 737 and a Citation X. Is like a 2 liter bottle vs a soda can. Other than the fact that you die just like my home Payne
1999_aberdeen_sd_wreckage.jpg

Or you know. APG. You can make hurling a brick at the sun legal with APG. 75' of terrain clearance per NM. HAHA

Fo real yo!

But the best part about it. Was flying with guys and departing ASE who didn't even understand what APG meant, just that it was legal.

Safe was something determined by the PIC.

If the PIC doesn't understand basic rudimentary physics or high school trigonometry in 3 dimensions to determine not slamming in to said granite, safe may quite well better be determined by a monkey throwing a dart at the wall.

Or a dolphin, those •ers are smart. Well over half the time I was at a 135 I think a dolphin brain or even a cat brain would have been better that a freaking egomaniac that could barely climb stairs or poop without a double-flush.

I remember the look on the face of one rather bright fellow when I told him there were captains that didn't really understand the difference between indicated airspeed and true airspeed. They just made the red line get as close as possible to the indicated airspeed regardless of FL or even you know feet above the ground.

Because they learned it from the "safe" person who mentored them.

All this entirely absent of what a 121 operator would even consider a functional training program.

Back