Delta versus Alaska "Cat Fight" continues

Oh great, the terminal IFR airspace is a zoo in southeast as it is. Even more lower 48 guys keeping their IFR to the gate every leg and making 10 minute CTAF calls is just what we need.

"Attention Juneau area traffic, This is Delta some-flight-number, a large 757 aircraft over Coglan Island, landing runway zero-eight..." (yes, for real)

"Attention Juneau area traffic, This is Delta some-flight-number, a large 757 aircraft over Coglan Island, landing runway zero-eight..." (yes, for real)

Can I make fun of the Alaskan pilots who clear the inboard runway in ATL and come to a screeching halt, because they can't contact ground because the frequency is busy and jamb up everyone else trying to cross? The locals know to just keep rolling to your ramp, GRD knows where you're going and will tell you to stop if they want you too.

That to me is the bigger deal. HND is a tough route (we are the only ones making it work right now and that's because of our tourist market connection) but if Delta can't make it work in their new super duper Asian Hub, you've got to wonder what other Transpac routes won't work from there.
HND is a tough route because of the landing slot times. The business traveller doesn't like to fly at that time. NRT is going downhill because of the Japanese economy. The A350s will overfly NRT direct to China and the rest of the Pacific. NRT is going to be dehubbed.

And not a single one of those actually operated by Delta.

Let's not forget the rest of the new flights:

"Delta will also increase its number of daily flights from Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska; Atlanta; Calgary, Alberta; Detroit; Los Angeles; San Francisco and Salt Lake City."

All new mainline flights. Hey, by the way, how do you get to Europe or Asia from SEA?

"Earlier this year, Delta launched international service to London-Heathrow, as well as Seoul and Hong Kong and now provides more international long-haul service from Seattle than all other airlines combined. This includes the top five destinations in Asia and three of the top four destinations in Europe. Delta is the only carrier to offer nonstop service from Seattle to Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai and Tokyo-Haneda."

Let's not forget the rest of the new flights:

"Delta will also increase its number of daily flights from Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska; Atlanta; Calgary, Alberta; Detroit; Los Angeles; San Francisco and Salt Lake City."

All new mainline flights. Hey, by the way, how do you get to Europe or Asia from SEA?

"Earlier this year, Delta launched international service to London-Heathrow, as well as Seoul and Hong Kong and now provides more international long-haul service from Seattle than all other airlines combined. This includes the top five destinations in Asia and three of the top four destinations in Europe. Delta is the only carrier to offer nonstop service from Seattle to Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai and Tokyo-Haneda."

And more to come with the 737 base opening in SEA next year. Heard a rumor pilot hiring is picking up from 115 to 135 a month in JAN and FEB.

HND is a tough route because of the landing slot times. The business traveller doesn't like to fly at that time. NRT is going downhill because of the Japanese economy. The A350s will overfly NRT direct to China and the rest of the Pacific. NRT is going to be dehubbed.

What's the range on the -350? I'd imagine they'd still need NRT for BKK, SIN, and Ho Chi Minh City?

That to me is the bigger deal. HND is a tough route (we are the only ones making it work right now and that's because of our tourist market connection) but if Delta can't make it work in their new super duper Asian Hub, you've got to wonder what other Transpac routes won't work from there.
I was told that the time slot is awful and that Japan won't budge on it. I think they're trying hard to negotiate something better. Delta claims that the original NWA 5th freedom rights were out of HND and they were involuntarily moved to NRT so they should be allowed at least one or two slots there. Japan disagrees. Will be interesting to see what happens. @Kingairer was right, they are doing is every so often (probably whatever the minimum required is) to keep the slot.

What's the range on the -350? I'd imagine they'd still need NRT for BKK, SIN, and Ho Chi Minh City?
If Delta can fly an A330 non stop from SIN to ATL, I'm pretty sure the A350-900 can do west coast to Asia. It has a range of 7750nm.

20141120094350-33117-map.jpg

If Delta can fly an A330 non stop from SIN to ATL, I'm pretty sure the A350-900 can do west coast to Asia. It has a range of 7750nm.
That's an impressive map. Too bad they won't be able to reach certain parts of Africa and Perth! (not sure there's any market there anyways)

20141120094350-33117-map.jpg

Gotcha, I'm not as familiar with the range on the heavy Airbii. All my Asia and ME trips (sitting in the back) have been on the 777 and 747.

Can I make fun of the Alaskan pilots who clear the inboard runway in ATL and come to a screeching halt, because they can't contact ground because the frequency is busy and jamb up everyone else trying to cross? The locals know to just keep rolling to your ramp, GRD knows where you're going and will tell you to stop if they want you too.

It's gentle teasing, actually, and in the same vein. There were just some funny moments on the CTAF, but they seemed to do fine. Even seemed to get a little 'alaska' in their blood on some of their approaches.

They also treated us locals extremely well; as much as I've been a loyal freeloader on Alaska, I was sad to see them go for the season... and take the cheaper fares with them. (The cost of a ticket to Juneau makes it almost impossible to get people to come visit)

-Fox

My fav was the Air Force 737 that came to a stop on 8L because he didn't know if he needed to exit left or right to get to tech ops. I thought the tower controller was going to come down from the tower and beat his ass.

Back