MMTO

Never been a Pro Pilot but if I was id be a MMMTO guy, fly a BAC 1-11 for good money and even better days off you bet . Hell I was on the no schedule OT and the no call up OT list at both ZAU and C90, as much as I loved my job 5 days a week was more than enough.................oh and id call in sick on the Monday holidays tooo.

Wow...way to have pride in yourself and your profession. I have made it my mission to stop this FO mentality. So many of the guys I fly with are not very good and it's because they take this attitude. Step up and take some initiative. Sure there are things that you should confer with the ca on before deciding but there is also a lot that if you can deal with, I don't have to and can keep the operation running. And don't you dare say "I don't get paid enough money to do XYZ." You get paid to do your job, and that's part of it.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I also hate the attitude of, "they don't pay me enough to care," because that attitude is BS. The fact of the matter is that it's the captains show, not mine. Stepping up with the wrong captain is a recipe to get chewed out and ruin CRM for the remainder of the trip. Laying back in the cut and SUPPORTING the captain is my role. Or said another way, my job is to make them look good by doing everything laid out for me in the FOM quickly and efficiently.

But I don't make decisions. If the skipper wants my input, he gets it. If the skipper is going to throw the FOM out of the window or try to kill us, I'm here to stop him.

But I'm not here to dictate to the captain about how he will run his ship within the confines of the FOM. I'm not here to be a left seat captain.

I imagine you more as an Emperor than King
View attachment 28161

I was thinking more this

NP5_L.jpg

If all you see from what you do is the financial gain, that's sad. Like they say, people don't regret taking a day off work from their deathbed, they regret not playing hooky more.

Which, of course, is exactly what I'm saying. A job is a job, not a calling or a "dream." It's just a way to make a living so you can "play hooky," as you say. Some idiot who chases shiny airplanes isn't going to sit there on his deathbed thinking "gee, I'm sure glad that I spent those extra eight weeks in training to fly that shiny new airplane that paid less money; that was much better than spending time with my family and friends!" :rolleyes:

The real question is, "why did anyone bother to write this article." We now have a thread with people arguing over a guy they don't know, how much money he may or may not have or need, how many days off he may or may not get, and wether @ATN_Pilot is a Richard in real life.

Well, the article does come from Jim Cramer's company, so you can't exactly expect journalistic integrity. It's a silly article that really didn't need to be written. But I think it does highlight a big reason that it's so hard to make progress in this profession: too many people view it as a hobby or a "dream" instead of a career.

It's funny that you don't seem to get the concept that performing a job and having a career in something that you actually love and enjoy and wanted to do since you were a child, can make one happy and satisfied. Obviously, one has to earn a living and make a certain amount of money and wants to have a lifestyle. What you are missing however, is that the amount of money, that lifestyle, where they live, what kind of home they live in, and how they want to live and what makes a person happy/satisfied, various greatly from person to person. It's a personal choice. It's meaningless and asinine to rag on what others' may value or what's important to them because it doesn't meet your own standards, expectations or goals. We are all on different paths.

The wonderful thing about this life is that we all get to choose how we will spend our days on this planet. What is important to you may not be as important or not important at all, to someone else. What they value and find meaningful, may have no meaning for you. And that's fine, but to constantly rain on someone else's choice when you don't even have a clue about the person, who they are and why they are doing what they are doing is just ridiculous, petty and self-serving.

The old saying that when you do what you love for a living, you will never really work a day in your life, rings true for the most part. You need to accept that this is true for many people, not just pilots, but in all walks of life and professions and let it go. I'd rather live out some of my dreams than not, and making a decent wage doing so, is a bonus. It's up to each individual to choose their path, what amount of money they need, their own level of security and how they want to live and where.

A career and a dream can be both, believe it not. And many people have made careers out of their hobbies and earned very decent/good money from them. One never knows what something will lead to in life. And this is why we see many people at some point changing careers, even picking up stakes and moving, to realize their dreams at some point and do what they believe they were meant to do in the first place. That's just part of the adventure. We get to have do overs. We are not chained to anything for life. We get to do what we want and figure out ways to make it work financially. Everyone is allowed their OWN happiness and fulfillment. Not your happiness/fulfillment, not my happiness/fulfillment, but their own happiness/fulfillment.

Last edited:
And everyone is also entitled to his own opinion. Your opinion is that it's normal to "dream" about being a wage slave, my opinion is that it's absurd. We aren't going to agree.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I also hate the attitude of, "they don't pay me enough to care," because that attitude is BS. The fact of the matter is that it's the captains show, not mine. Stepping up with the wrong captain is a recipe to get chewed out and ruin CRM for the remainder of the trip. Laying back in the cut and SUPPORTING the captain is my role. Or said another way, my job is to make them look good by doing everything laid out for me in the FOM quickly and efficiently.

But I don't make decisions. If the skipper wants my input, he gets it. If the skipper is going to throw the FOM out of the window or try to kill us, I'm here to stop him.

But I'm not here to dictate to the captain about how he will run his ship within the confines of the FOM.

Agree. Well stated.

I'm not here to be a left seat captain.

You a helicopter FO? :)

Good for him, he gets to fly what he wants and will probably bid super senior too.

Maybe at his point in his career the money isn't a big deal, we don't know his financials. It's entirely possible the dude is set and just enjoying life flying the metal plastic he wants.

Maybe at his point in his career the money isn't a big deal, we don't know his financials. It's entirely possible the dude is set and just enjoying life flying the metal plastic he wants.

How did you get the strikethrough text to work? I've been trying to do it since the forum update.

The real question is, "why did anyone bother to write this article." We now have a thread with people arguing over a guy they don't know, how much money he may or may not have or need, how many days off he may or may not get, and wether @ATN_Pilot is a Richard in real life.

I don't know if we're arguing, so much as debating. I mean in the end, isn't that what this entire forum is for?

And everyone is also entitled to his own opinion. Your opinion is that it's normal to "dream" about being a wage slave, my opinion is that it's absurd. We aren't going to agree.
There is a bit of a difference between accepting an FO seat at a regional for a next to nothing and a 27-year veteran making a lateral move or self-demotion. Does the option of making a lateral or downward move drive wages down?

There is a bit of a difference between accepting an FO seat at a regional for a next to nothing and a 27-year veteran making a lateral move or self-demotion. Does the option of making a lateral or downward move drive wages down?

The action itself isn't what I'm addressing. The mentality that leads to that action is.

Perhaps he can hold a 787 seat at UAL but he refuses to fly with scabs? I've heard (no idea if it's true - some other members can confirm/deny) that the 787 at UAL is filled with mostly scabs.

In any case, who cares. I don't think this guy would lose any sleep at night if he were to read this thread. He made his bed, let him sleep in it.

Some people may find his choice absurd. Others may find it absurd to spend all kinds of money on training/certificates, PFJ at a regional, switch to another regional, move to a major, then call it quits in this career in your 30's because of an acquisition.

To each their own.

Back