MMTO

Whats to get.....? Putzing around in a 737 or a spanking new 787 to different destinations.....Not a bad decisions at all....

Whats to get.....? Putzing around in a 737 or a spanking new 787 to different destinations.....Not a bad decisions at all....

The fact that he went from captain to FO, just to fly a plane. He's losing money. Just to fly a plane. Maybe he had to switch bases. Maybe he has a really crappy uncommutable schedule now. Just to fly a plane. Doesn't seem smart to me...

The fact that he went from captain to FO, just to fly a plane. He's losing money. Just to fly a plane. Doesn't seem smart to me...
Not so much the captain to FO thing, but what is the total package with the new carrier. I'm sure UAL has a better benefits package long term then this job in Asia. Especially if he has 27 years seniority.

@BobDDuck caught me. :(

Last edited:
Not so much the captain to FO thing, but what is the total package with the new carrier. I'm sure UAL has a better benefits package long term then this job in Asia. Especially if he has 27 years seniority.

I read it as he still flies for UA, but took a demotion from left to right seat, just to be able to fly the 787.

The fact that he went from captain to FO, just to fly a plane. He's losing money. Just to fly a plane. Maybe he had to switch bases. Maybe he has a really crappy uncommutable schedule now. Just to fly a plane. Doesn't seem smart to me...
Yeah, sounds silly at first glance.

Although I do have to admit that the airplane (lifelong infatuation) was a part of my decision to take a lateral move.

Y'all need to read the article before commenting. He's still at United. He just moved from the 737 left seat to the right seat of the 787. I'd guess the TO of the MMTO equation went up drastically and the pay probably isn't too much different.

EDIT: APC shows it as a $30 an hour paycut, but I'd guess that United has some sort of international override in their contract so it would be less than that, assuming he was flying the 737 mostly domestic.

Y'all need to read the article before commenting. He's still at United. He just moved from the 737 left seat to the right seat of the 787. I'd guess the TO of the MMTO equation went up drastically and the pay probably isn't too much different.

EDIT: APC shows it as a $30 an hour paycut, but I'd guess that United has some sort of international override in their contract so it would be less than that, assuming he was flying the 737 mostly domestic.

So not a stupid move, would you do it?

Bottom line, he's a big boy and he can sit in any seat his seniority can hold. There's so much personal preference that goes into the decision it's silly for us to speculate why.

Before everyone starts giving pay breakdowns.... Maybe he has a better QOL and the extra 10, 20, 30k a year don't mean if he's satisfied with his current bank balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
So not a stupid move, would you do it?

Maybe. I don't really care about what airplane I fly (as long as it's got good AC and a lav on board). A $30k a year pay cut doesn't matter too much if you are making still $175k and have your financials in order. I have no idea what sort of schedule you was holding on the 737 but, for me, going from maybe 14 days off a month to 20 days off a month is worth the pay hit. Lots of variables.

I read it as he still flies for UA, but took a demotion from left to right seat, just to be able to fly the 787.

Yep, that's what I got from the article too. You'd have to know a lot more about this guy's personal and/or professional financial circumstances to understand what he did...and why.

Many people have done something similar in an airline career.

Yep, that's what I got from the article too. You'd have to know a lot more about this guy's personal and/or professional financial circumstances to understand what he did...and why.

Many people have done something similar in an airline career.

So this isn't unheard of in the airlines then? Sounds outlandish to me at first thought!

Maybe. I don't really care about what airplane I fly (as long as it's got good AC and a lav on board). A $30k a year pay cut doesn't matter too much if you are making still $175k and have your financials in order. I have no idea what sort of schedule you was holding on the 737 but, for me, going from maybe 14 days off a month to 20 days off a month is worth the pay hit. Lots of variables.

Maybe I like money too much. But to go from $205k to $175k in your example, seems nutty to me and all for an airplane.

Maybe I like money too much. But to go from $205k to $175k in your example, seems nutty to me and all for an airplane.

Well take the $$$ out of the equation..Would you do it if money were not an issue? Maybe that describes the said pilot to a T.....

Back