Beech 1900 versus Metroliner

Boring is good! Besides, I've flown bigger pieces of junk through more thunderstorms, more ice, thicker fog and harder IFR with just a rudimentary six pack avionics package than ANYONE of this forum.
Whatever.

Don't hit anything.

Don't do anything stupid.

Come home, cash the check, and do whatever else makes you happy for fun.

Let's get real for a second. Doug was the "token" minority hire at a time Delta was still predominately hiring white, ex-mil guys. If Doug was white, his Delta contact would have been told to tell Doug that he's not competitive with civ only Beech 1900 time and low TPIC to boot.

You seem to be familiar with the situation, please give all the pertinent details in regards to @Derg getting hired. Pay no mind to previous experience he had gained, or type ratings already accomplished. I want to hear the "nitty-gritty". Enlighten us when you see fit.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.
You really have to step outside of the freight industry to see how true that really is.

I think there's an understandable pride amongst IFR freight pilots for the working conditions they have to deal with that sometimes carries over into an assumption that the flying makes them "better" pilots. I have no doubt that flying a metro or 1900 single pilot requires a ton of skill, and have a lot of respect for anyone who does it safely and successfully. But it's incorrect to think that the experience makes them inherently better candidates for two-crew 121 or 135 operations. By the time you've gotten enough time (at least now, and formerly at many regionals) to get to an airline or good 135 jet job, you probably have decent instrument skills.

From interviewing at several airlines and with a couple of employers aside from aviation, personality is the most important selection criteria once a baseline experience is met. You can train someone to your standards, but someone with an attitude like

Besides, I've flown bigger pieces of junk through more thunderstorms, more ice, thicker fog and harder IFR with just a rudimentary six pack avionics package than ANYONE of this forum.

is probably going to be a serious pain in the ass to work with. I suspect I got my upcoming internship over people who did substantially better or more relevant research by simply not being overly weird or cocky in the interview.

I think there's an understandable pride amongst IFR freight pilots for the working conditions they have to deal with that sometimes carries over into an assumption that the flying makes them "better" pilots. I have no doubt that flying a metro or 1900 single pilot requires a ton of skill, and have a lot of respect for anyone who does it safely and successfully. But it's incorrect to think that the experience makes them inherently better candidates for two-crew 121 or 135 operations. By the time you've gotten enough time (at least now, and formerly at many regionals) to get to an airline or good 135 jet job, you probably have decent instrument skills.

From interviewing at several airlines and with a couple of employers aside from aviation, personality is the most important selection criteria once a baseline experience is met. You can train someone to your standards, but someone with an attitude like

is probably going to be a serious pain in the ass to work with. I suspect I got my upcoming internship over people who did substantially better or more relevant research by simply not being overly weird or cocky in the interview.

You'd be wrong. There are many 121 pilots who SUCK at basic, raw data instrument flying. Most of those come from regionals flying RJs , lots with a big name aviation university degree, trained on glass panel cessnas.

You'd be wrong. There are many 121 pilots who SUCK at basic, raw data instrument flying. Most of those come from regionals flying RJs , lots with a big name aviation university degree, trained on glass panel cessnas.

Should have looked at your post history--likely troll? I honestly can't tell. You've obviously never worked for an airline, so I'd love to know what your evidence is for the above statement. If you are trolling, it's probably about time for the ban hammer.

Should have looked at your post history--likely troll? I honestly can't tell. You've obviously never worked for an airline, so I'd love to know what your evidence is for the above statement. If you are trolling, it's probably about time for the ban hammer.

You'd be wrong... again. Been in MANY sims with pilots from ALL backgrounds. Former RJ pilots struggle the most with basic instruments and hand flying. Former freight dogs do the best overall.

You'd be wrong... again. Been in MANY sims with pilots from ALL backgrounds. Former RJ pilots struggle the most with basic instruments and hand flying. Former freight dogs do the best overall.

620px-Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Show your work. Where/when/who gave you the opportunity to be in MANY sims with 121 RJ pilots if you haven't worked for one?

Are we talking a Frasca or an actual level C or D sim? Obviously someone who's been flying an MFD for years is probably going struggle with a six-pack. But I'm going with lying troll, unless you have anything to back up what you're saying.

Sooooo I get your name now. "Out and Proud" to be a clueless troll. Got it thanks.

Edit to add after I read some O&P posts.
Here's one from another thread.
According to your story, If this guy wasn't an idiot and hadn't bent metal, it sounds like his contact at the major would have paid off. For me, it's a gamble worth taking. I will not be a regional lifer.

You're not really helping your cause here. If/when people figure out who you are. You might just be a "regional lifer". Keep up the awesome posts and you can almost guarantee it.

Last edited:
why care?
Painting a whole group of any kind with a broad brush demonstrates a lack of finesse at best and actual knowledge at worst. Not worth getting worked up over.

Now, where are those sweet delicious tacos?

why care?
Painting a whole group of any kind with a broad brush demonstrates a lack of finesse at best and actual knowledge at worst. Not worth getting worked up over.

Now, where are those sweet delicious tacos?
True. And I just ate some sweet delicious carne asada tacos. Now off to mow the grass.

Just stop feeding the troll...

When I flew SPIFR for the first time after being furloughed from 121, my overall methodology in a 402 was heavily influenced by my time flying jets. That was true for all of the guys who'd come from 121, as well. To add, I was even on the union's safety committee while I was there, and I can tell you that the people bending the most metal were the ones who'd been flying SPIFR for years.

Don't feed the troll doesn't really work and never has. And reading some of its other posts makes it painfully obvious that its not even a talented troll. I've never understood the reluctance to grab the banhammer in situations like this. Nobody is going to miss this nerd.

Just stop feeding the troll...

When I flew SPIFR for the first time after being furloughed from 121, my overall methodology in a 402 was heavily influenced by my time flying jets. That was true for all of the guys who'd come from 121, as well. To add, I was even on the union's safety committee while I was there, and I can tell you that the people bending the most metal were the ones who'd been flying SPIFR for years.
You're obviously wrong! SPIFR pilots are gods among men!!! You don't even know!!!

Ok, I'll stop now. :)

Back