Beech 1900 versus Metroliner

Lots of good info in here, hope it doesn't get lost.

Only thing I'll add is the freight dawg & metro SPIFR street cred doesn't hold as much weight as some of you still flying them think it does. Sure it's fun to talk about over beers but hiring departments don't care. They want to see a certain set of metrics and unfortunately freight flying and metro time doesn't fit in 90% of the time. Where it benefits you is if you want to goto that small time corporate shop where the chief pilot used to do the same thing 20 years ago that you are doing now. Outside that, any airline or legitimate flight department doesn't care. I've only hired guys in the corporate world but from my own experience trying to move up, my time flying freight is nothing more than another line item on the resume and I added a great group of friends.

Don't knock the AARP card. You're eligible @ 50 ( I think) the discounts waay more than pay the dues. At the checkout, just say 'AARP.'

Better to skip when dating a 22 year old hottie, though

Let's get past your tprop moving up dogma.

For a minute, you're an instructor at AMF. Would you rather train a guy on the Metro that came out of a 1900 at SubAir, or a guy like me who has flown steam, but out of the last 14 out of the last 17 years has flown integrated glass?

I know who I'd choose.
I'd rather train you to hear your stories. Old guys>young dudes. :)

Only thing I'll add is the freight dawg & metro SPIFR street cred doesn't hold as much weight as some of you still flying them think it does. Sure it's fun to talk about over beers but hiring departments don't care. They want to see a certain set of metrics and unfortunately freight flying and metro time doesn't fit in 90% of the time. Where it benefits you is if you want to goto that small time corporate shop where the chief pilot used to do the same thing 20 years ago that you are doing now. Outside that, any airline or legitimate flight department doesn't care. I've only hired guys in the corporate world but from my own experience trying to move up, my time flying freight is nothing more than another line item on the resume and I added a great group of friends.
I just like giving @Jfk-Pilot crap about his 1900. That's about the only "METRO HELL YEAH!!!" you'd get out of me at a bar. :)

Last edited:
I don't think that it can simply be summarized as a generational issue. I've seen old and young folks fail gauges to glass, glass to gauges, and glass to glass. I think change is the issue more than age. If you've been doing anything for 10-20 years, change is going to be a challenge. If a training regimen is designed to address a wide range of backgrounds effectively, the problems are minimized.

Considering that I'm almost 50 and I've had a computer since 1977, I'm not sure what generation we are talking about. Does AARP have a training school?
I'm just getting the impression that the requirement exists because it was hard for them so they think it is hard for everyone coming up behind them. In reality everyone behind them has been way more tech saturated and won't run into the same hurdles.

The example Polar gave was when everyone was transitioning to glass when it was a new technology. It has been nearly 20 years since then. Backgrounds and experiences have changed.

I am genuinely curious how well a Jet U type guy that only used glass in their career will transition to an airline that requires Glass experience but throws them in an MD80 where glass is minimal at best. The logic used here just amazes me.

I don't have much SPIFR and zero metro time.

I think I did alright.

You are black.... THAT'S the main reason you got the job at Delta during the time period in which you were hired. If you were a white male, recently upgraded Beech 1900 captain as a small commuter airline, Delta wouldn't have hired you. OBTW, I'm not knocking you, just trying to point out the REAL reason you where hired at Delta when you were. I'm hoping to play the minority card too sometime in the near future.

You are black.... THAT'S the main reason you got the job at Delta during the time period in which you were hired. If you were a white male, recently upgraded Beech 1900 captain as a small commuter airline, Delta wouldn't have hired you. OBTW, I'm not knocking you, just trying to point out the REAL reason you where hired at Delta when you were. I'm hoping to play the minority card too sometime in the near future.

Uh....no. Networking got Derg his job. As I recall, he met someone high up that went to bat for him. That's the whole premise of this site...networking and going to bat for one another.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

You really have to step outside of the freight industry to see how true that really is.

Uh....no. Networking got Derg his job. As I recall, he met someone high up that went to bat for him. That's the whole premise of this site...networking and going to bat for one another.

Let's get real for a second. Doug was the "token" minority hire at a time Delta was still predominately hiring white, ex-mil guys. If Doug was white, his Delta contact would have been told to tell Doug that he's not competitive with civ only Beech 1900 time and low TPIC to boot.

I'm curious if there are any good stats on those that wash out of training. It is possible that the older gauges to glass guy sticks out more and more easily fits a stereotype than the young guy that is stressed out about his cheating girlfriend and late car payment?

I certainly think that there is a category of older pilots with limited "glass interface" experience (glass cockpit, computer, gaming, smartphone) that is behind the curve when it comes to transition to a modern glass cockpit. Most do okay. Do training programs care about the bottom ten percent (WAG) that washes out? Do they care to know why they washed out? I don't know.

When my father bought a glassed out P210 in his late sixties, it took him time to master it. He knew that it would take time and he wouldn't settle for less than a professional stsndard. He put in that time and mastered it. He would have been left behind in a commercial training setting.

I'm pretty neutral on the subject. I understand that it's easier to design a training program if your student population is more homogenous. Some good pilots are going to get lost in the process but that happens for many other reasons as well.

Last edited:
Mine, too. I'm still waiting for the major mechanical meltdown everyone seems to have on the Brasilia after a year of flying it. (Of course, there's always today...)

I like being boring.

Boring is good! Besides, I've flown bigger pieces of junk through more thunderstorms, more ice, thicker fog and harder IFR with just a rudimentary six pack avionics package than ANYONE of this forum.

Back