ICT - C500 down

PF,

On an unrelated note, were you around to see the Cessna T-47 at P'Cola for NFO training?

Sad end to those things..........
Yeah, -86 had them when I went through.

I can't remember if the fire preceded and was a factor in the transition to T-39's. Maybe not, as I don't think the fire was at Pensacola.

My father was an -86 instructor when they were still in Glynco. I was hoping to instruct before I was grounded and shipped off to Supply School.

Last edited:
This is blowing my mind. We all know that random reports from people on the ground can be totally bogus, but finding the wing 1.5 miles away is chilling. I will refer to my first comment, what in the hell happened!? I can't imagine anything other than a severe thunderstorm, or extreme turbulence, being strong enough to rip a Citation wing off... My guess is you would be hard pressed to over G one to the point of catastrophic structural failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk's_Ocean_Airways_Flight_101

I have had it thrown at me in the sim several times, never has it rolled on me. Maybe the Lear is different?
I can tell you the difference between the sim vs actual in these situations could easily be compared with the difference between a sling shot and a catapult!
I've never experienced it but have seen live coverage of actual in-test, pre-certification testing. [I'll try to find the video in my collection]
The pilots KNEW it was coming, induced it themselves, and still lost several THOUSAND feet (approaching two digits worth) before they recovered. After about 5 of these in a row, the crew was able to deploy and maintain heading/altitude/control.
I can easily see how this emergency would be a handful!

I can tell you the difference between the sim vs actual in these situations could easily be compared with the difference between a sling shot and a catapult!
I've never experienced it but have seen live coverage of actual in-test, pre-certification testing. [I'll try to find the video in my collection]
The pilots KNEW it was coming, induced it themselves, and still lost several THOUSAND feet (approaching two digits worth) before they recovered. After about 5 of these in a row, the crew was able to deploy and maintain heading/altitude/control.
I can easily see how this emergency would be a handful!

Well, Lear had to certify the aircraft by doing it in real life, and if the airplane rolled upside down and lost several thousand feet, I can tell you with a large amount of confidence that the plane would probably not be certified in that configuration.

I would seriously love to see the video though it sounds very interesting.

Citations have indestructible wings?

No, but it isn't pushing 80 years old, experimental, and running engines to which it wasn't designed for, nor a seaplane put through the stresses of thousands of water landings and abuse. Oh and is there a previous case of a business jet randomly shedding a wing?

No, but it isn't pushing 80 years old, experimental, and running engines to which it wasn't designed for, nor a seaplane put through the stresses of thousands of water landings and abuse. Oh and is there a previous case of a business jet randomly shedding a wing?

Everything has a breaking point.

Have you ever been flying and get an extended TR or seen a video of this? It is one crazy, instant roll ride! Mute point here as the plane wasn't equipped.
Reg is N610ED. FlightAware shows flight track and weather. I was in NW AR this same day and picked up a lot of ice in the descent [not stating it's a factor here]

The drink I'm putting out on the table supports questionable maintenance on the wing itself.

I talked with a Cessna rep about inadvertent TR deployments during flight. He told me "if" it were to happen (which it hasn't yet... the worst being an unlock light in cruise so far) that it was very possible for the aircraft to depart controlled flight. It was just a thought... old airplane tied in with a high G loading event could rip darn near anything off...

Back