Networking Tips

Let me just add that networking isn't about trying to meet people that can do stuff for you..it's about building relationships that are mutually beneficial. We should always remember we have a hand up and a hand down...a hand up to advance and a hand down to help those up behind. I feel great when I can help someone fill a vacancy and when I can help someone to fill a vacancy. So will you!

Wish I could come to this little shindig, if not for at least all of the story telling. But, while I am making the moves necessary to begin a professional aviation career, at a stunning 49.5 hours and no active medical, I think I would seriously be wasting peoples' time at this point. I think I would expect a distant pat on the back and a hearty, "Come back after you've spent $40K on some ratings and have more hours in the air than I have picking my nose."
completely inaccurate...you aren't giving people an opportunity to "pay it forward"

You have to go if you can! Network, Network, Network! Can't stress that enough! I'm not even a professional pilot yet and got a recommendation for my current job. When things at Comair started it's spiral to extinction in ernest, Derg didn't hesitate to put in a recommendation for me at Southernjets. I would and will gladly return the favor for any JC member that I've met or know when in a position to do so.

Hell yeah man, you're good people! Glad you're on our team rather than our competitor! :)

Hell yeah man, you're good people! Glad you're on our team rather than our competitor! :)

A very wise man that flies for Southern Innanashunal once told me this over a perfectly mixed G&T....

"Horse, Water, Drink........"

Start drinking people.....

So now I'm supposed to drink all the airline nancies under the table but also not get drunk?

Wait, actually, now that I typed it out, that seems easy. Nevermind.

Well, I'm not looking for a job, you'll have at least some competition to drink under the table, just not airline and possibly not nancie.

Wish I could come to this little shindig, if not for at least all of the story telling. But, while I am making the moves necessary to begin a professional aviation career, at a stunning 49.5 hours and no active medical, I think I would seriously be wasting peoples' time at this point. I think I would expect a distant pat on the back and a hearty, "Come back after you've spent $40K on some ratings and have more hours in the air than I have picking my nose."

Don't think that it would be a waste of time for you AT ALL. Besides, anyone that would give you that type of welcome is exactly the person no one wants to see there.

And hey - I'm in the software biz too, and I don't find it a waste of time at all. You might be surprised how many of those pilot folks will want to know all about how to get a good software gig.

You might be surprised how many of those pilot folks will want to know all about how to get a good software gig.

Heh. That would be awesome. "Hey... wanna trade gigs?" It'd be like... Freaky Friday or something.

Alas, speaking of software, I have a major website release the following Wednesday. The usual pre-release insanity will be taking place right when I'd rather be meeting all of you fine folks.

I was stressing that I might not be able to drop my trip for NJC, but by dumb luck I was able to swap trips and will get to be there. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to relax. Like others have said, its not a job fair, nor even close to a job fair. Its a fun get together with great people who know people who know people that know people that can make good things happen for you. I've made some great friendships with these clowns and even had the pleasure to work with a few. It all started with my first NJC.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to relax. Like others have said, its not a job fair, nor even close to a job fair. Its a fun get together with great people who know people who know people that know people that can make good things happen for you. I've made some great friendships with these clowns and even had the pleasure to work with a few. It all started with my first NJC.
Says the man that didn't attend early on, but enjoyed beers at Margarita-ville 8)

Wish I could be there this year, but with a busy semester of school and a lot of flying to do before the great NW weather hits I think I will have to wait until next year. I also feel the same as Steve Costello, I am a very new pilot with little experience thus far and feel as if it may be too early to start Networking. However this thread has changed my way of thinking some...

Wish I could be there this year...

Me too! But, the scheduling gods have told me that I have to go to Dulles that evening. And my 3rd from the bottom in base junior self won't be able to bid for weekends off for years. The funny thing is that I ended up with a 'hybrid line' for the month - because I swear everyone in base forgot to bid or something - but still couldn't get the 13th off. (Not that I am complaining, as living in base for the first time in my career has been a HUGE blessing when it comes to QOL.)

I should be passing right over Vegas at about 9:15 p.m. so hoist one up in the air for me, I'll try to wave back.

I'm really bummed because this would be the first event that I could attend where I really could help people make a jump up - as my employer takes internal letters of rec very seriously and hopefully will be opening the app window again this coming spring. (That is, other than the million questions I answered about my last gig as a psudo-freight dog and passing along my old CFI stuff every time I see someone start a becoming a CFI thread.)

read folks...it's never too soon to start networking...READ! silly gooses.

and I have to leave for Dulles on Sunday...class starts Monday.

NJC success in 3 easy steps:

1) be yourself
2) make friends
3) reap the opportunities you just created when you least expect them.

Back