SWA vs UAL... FIGHT

Im going to make you break down in Kingman again…..:)

Seems we both have been stuck there overnight!
Oh dear god. The “FBO” took an extra 10 minutes to get my GPU pulled (line guy probably looking for his dentures) and that was far too much extra time in Kingman for a lifetime for me.

About 5s in to the first version of this story, I suddenly realized “I don’t care”!

Still don’t.

But the memes are entertaining!

The memes have been fun but this should about put an end to this nonsense about a jumpseat war.

e92ec40b-3bc1-4f7c-bab9-b2dbaf4f4630.png

S.gif

May 11, 2024

Jumpseats: By Pilots, For Pilots​

29,563 combined Pilots. 30-plus years. 109,562 jumpseats per year. Big numbers? You bet. This is the combined history of the flight deck jumpseat between United and Southwest. Big numbers, but we are one family. One family with a history of getting Pilots where they need to be when they need to be there. Many families have time together that would be lost if it were not for the privilege we afford each other daily. Family gatherings, sporting events, graduations, celebrations, first hellos, and last goodbyes are all made possible because we share something that no one else on the planet shares. Our jumpseats are a privilege afforded to Pilots by Pilots for Pilots. It is our thing.

SWAPA and UAL ALPA send this message to you today because the relationship between our associations and our carriers has never been stronger. We stand together because we are Pilots. The paint on the side of the jet may have a few different colors or letters, but, on every flight deck, we are the same.

Our flight deck jumpseats remain open to all. Our comradery and professionalism will make the bond among us stronger, and that strength will enable us to elevate our profession to greater heights. Thank you all for the work you do every day and thank you for taking care of all flight deck jumpseaters. If we can help in any way, please reach out to your Jumpseat Committee at any time. Remember, this is our thing.

Captain Brian Ross
SWAPA Jumpseat Chairman

Captain Rob Ventura
UAL ALPA MEC Jumpseat Chairman​
S.gif

SWAPA
1450 Empire Central
Suite 737
Dallas, TX 75247​
(214) 722-4200 - Phone
(800) 969-7972 - Phone
(214) 350-0647 - Fax​

I’d hope this would put an end to it but idk. The reactions seem more bizarre than the actual act. It’s weird seeing watching six figure earners try to get in on a piece of the drama and even more bizarre that it’s middle aged men. But then again I’m not surprised. People will be people.

"I’d hope this would put an end to it but idk. The reactions seem more bizarre than the actual act. It’s weird seeing watching six figure earners try to get in on a piece of the drama and even more bizarre that it’s middle aged men. But then again I’m not surprised. People will be people.

Even after all the parties were like "there's more to the story, calm TF down, everyone is good" a bunch of dudes my age are foaming at the mouth demanding blood, the soon-to-retire are in some anti-DEI rant and the kiddos are cranking out the memes like it's TikTok.

I DO NOT mind being wrong on this, but a lot of the rage is because of gender as in "How dare SHE?!"

Last edited:
I think it has a lot to do with resentment about the perceived career path of someone who is young and flies a widebody for an airline such as United. I can see why a pilot my age would revel in a young pilot getting crushed because they broke protocol. Similar to how they were treated poorly by circumstances and the dog eat dog environment of the lost decade. I think its wrong but I see a lot of pilots celebrating in "unique" ways when younger pilots are faced with hardship such as the pandemic or even the perception that the economy could change.

I think it has a lot to do with resentment about the perceived career path of someone who is young and flies a widebody for an airline such as United. I can see why a pilot my age would revel in a young pilot getting crushed because they broke protocol. Similar to how they were treated poorly by circumstances and the dog eat dog environment of the lost decade. I think its wrong but I see a lot of pilots celebrating in "unique" ways when younger pilots are faced with hardship such as the pandemic or even the perception that the economy could change.

I remember in 2020, when it looked like there were going to be mass furloughs, some people on here were openly gleeful about pilots who'd entered the industry after the last downturn undergoing their first furlough.

This is also weird. It’s all about timing, nothing more nothing less. Dealing with BS isn’t a rite of passage.

Even after all the parties were like "there's more to then story, calm TF down, everyone is good" a bunch of dudes my age are foaming at the mouth demanding blood, the soon-to-retire are in some anti-DEI rant and the kiddos are cranking out the memes like it's TikTok.

I DO NOT mind being wrong on this, but a lot of the rage is because of gender as in "How dare SHE?!"
This! The “DEI is taking our jerbs” crowd is having a field day.

Even after all the parties were like "there's more to then story, calm TF down, everyone is good" a bunch of dudes my age are foaming at the mouth demanding blood, the soon-to-retire are in some anti-DEI rant and the kiddos are cranking out the memes like it's TikTok.

I read: derg is old and also is about to retire. Someone out there about to be an A350A! :)

(hopefully it is some poor soul who has been slogging it out for 20+ years in the left seat of a 737 waiting for the time to be just right)

This! The “DEI is taking our jerbs” crowd is having a field day.

On the company internal forum the guys that are going most crazy about a female pilot doing this and are totally discounting the possibility that a third party (male) may have been the culprit are the same guys who a year or so ago went after a pilot spouse for doing something dumb, when it turned out she had no part in it, and it had been all her pilot husband's doing.

Legit.

On the company internal forum the guys that are going most crazy about a female pilot doing this and are totally discounting the possibility that a third party (male) may have been the culprit are the same guys who a year or so ago went after a pilot spouse for doing something dumb, when it turned out she had no part in it, and it had been all her pilot husband's doing.

I'm still waiting for that one pilot, who has seen something awry from the jumpseat, that 100% of the time didn't say a peep to a trusted colleague or tell a sanitized version over a beer.

I'm sure someone eventually will pop-up and lie through their teeth that they watched a crew do a Vmc roll on approach into DCA (hypothetically), shook the crews hand, thanked them for the jumpseat and it neeeeeeeeeeever came up over beers or subsequent cockpit chat.

Back