So, what so you do?

If I have the monkey suit on, I usually tell people I'm a ship captain, or a valet parker, or the ice cream man.

Heinz Getwellvet. I am trainer of dolphins. You want to talk to de dolphin, you talk to me!

Pretty much exactly what I thought of when Gullz said he was a dolphin trainer.

"If I'm not back in five minutes....just wait longer"

Pretty much exactly what I thought of when Gullz said he was a dolphin trainer.

"If I'm not back in five minutes....just wait longer"

Probably one of my favorite scenes from that movie!

Ace Ventura: Vat happened to him? Vat happened to me? Seven years I am wit Siegfried.
[he holds up only four fingers]
Ace Ventura: Ve are making de dolphins disappear, und den Roy is coming wit de vite tiger und ze shtuffing in de pants und den I'm gone.
Reporter: [skeptically] Where is Snowflake?
Ace Ventura: Why do you care about Snowflake? Do you know him? Does he call you at home?
[shouts]
Ace Ventura: Do you have a dorsal fin? To train ze dolphin you must zink like ze dolphin! You must be getting inside ze dolphin's head. I am saying to Snowflake, "Akay!... Akay Akay Akay?" und he is saying "AKay Akay!" und he is up on ze tail "Eeeeeeeeee!" und you can quote him!
[Ace spits]

I operate heavy machinery.
I was with a DC-10 Captain at Subway in MEM .The cashier asked what we did. He replied that "We were all heavy equipment operators." Oh, you guys must make lot's of money!
"Why yes, yes we do" That's how we can afford to eat at Subway.
That D10 is as big as a house....

"Well, actually, I'm a First Officer..."
First-Officer-Ted-on-Pan-Am.png

:)

"Heavy equipment" or "transportation system" operator is a favorite. Depends on the company. Sometimes I'm fully forthright (ME FLY PLANES!) and sometimes I'm factually accurate but useless.

I'm a shrimp boat captain. I'm in town for a shrimp boat conference...in Wichita, Kansas. :D

I Posted this awhile back. Its the conversation that EVERY dispatcher has when we try to tell people what we do.

Them: "So what do you do?"
Me: "Im a flight dispatcher."
Them: "OH! I know someone who works in the control tower! Do you work in the one in XYZ?."
Me: "No, I dont work in the control tower. Thats an air traffic controller."
Them: "Oh. Youre not an air traffic controller? So what do you do?"
Me: "I do flight planning for the airline"
Them "OOOOH....so you tell the airplanes where to go."
Me: "Sort of."
Them: "But isnt that what air traffic controllers do?"
Me: "Well, they're job is to make sure airplanes dont hit each other.and that they maintain a specific distance between aircraft. Completely different job. I plan the flight,monitor weather, and do the fuel calculations."
Them: "But isnt that what an air traic controller DOES?"
Me: "No, They work in real time.... I work in the preplanning process.
"Them "But isnt that the pilots job?"
Me: "Well, the pilots job is to fly the plane...we I plan it, he flies it...we're sort of a team."
Them: "So why doesnt the pilot just do it himself?"
*sigh*

Next person...

Them: "So what do you do?"
Me: "Im a flight dispatcher."
Them: "Oh cool! So you work in the control tower right?"
Me: "Yes. Yes I do."

Highlight, right-click, search Google for "..."

Grosse Point Blank

bronco21016 +10,000 Bonus points...

I like Port-a-potty salesman.

I knew that one off the top of my head. It was followed by, "I'm a pet psychiatrist. You look great! I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough."

I should get those points.

I'll usually tell people I'm in the aluminum transportation business, or bible salesman that's had a rough day and needs a drink. I'm just glad my uniform doesn't have stripes, I can't imagine dealing with the attention that must get.

I tell people I'm in advertising, unless I'm really willing to talk about the blimp thing. I live with my coworkers, I work with my coworkers, often I'm with coworkers. Unfortunately, they often spill the beans on me being a pilot.

Back