Delta opening new hire window?

You know, I've seen/heard nothing from Delta. I saw a tweet and that's about it.

1200TT 1000 jet time (SIC or PIC) with 25 letters of Rec. haha

From the Delta web site:

Flight Time Requirements
  • Minimum of 1,500 hours of total documented flight time
  • Minimum of 1,000 hours of fixed wing turboprop or turbofan time

I think they are just getting applications in anticipation for hiring next year. As Derg said about a week ago, they are still overstaffed.

I think they've BEEN taking applications on the AirlineApps website. Gotta keep the money rolling in for that site, ya know.....

From the research I have done, Delta will be the last to hire probably in 2014. They still have almost 400 flow throuhgs, they still have over 200 people that have recall rights. The 717's will probably be delayed due to maintenance issues and normal airline BS. In my opinion they will be way behind the curve when they do start off the street hiring, and many many qualified pilots will have already been hired at united and us air/american by the time they hire. That message on their website has been there forever.

These have both been this way for 2 years. FYI for people interested I've heard updating your app at least every 30 days is of great value... That's from someone that really knows what they're talking about...
Actually the mins used to be 1200tt, so that was updated. But my guess is someone was bored and felt like changing it to reflect the ATP rule.

From the research I have done, Delta will be the last to hire probably in 2014. They still have almost 400 flow throuhgs, they still have over 200 people that have recall rights.

You may wanna do some more research. Not all 400 will flow at the beginning,remember, only a fraction of each class will be flows. I'd also be suprised if more than 100 of the 200 FURs come back. Of two I know, one at JBLU, the other at SWA, only one is. I'll let you guess which one. While anecdotal, this pretty much matches up with what others are hearing from the FURs. If anything, I'd predict active interviewing early part of '13 for classes later in the year.

Of course, any merger with HAL, AA, ? will change this. Then you'll see stagnation, and possibly furloughs as "synergies" kick in.

Compass can flow 20 per class or 25% of their list per year. With their list at about 400 pilots, thats 100 guys a year. Mesaba can flow 9 per month so Delta could just bring guys on from only those two carriers for an entire year as needed. IF there are other people hired it would be a small small amount but I just dont see it happening. So if you consider Delta hiring bringing flows on for a year, than yes you are correct. By the way, intersting fact, the average age of the mesaba guys that will be flowing is about 40-45 years old.

From what I heard, the expressjet headquarters in Atlanta is telling guys in training delta told our execs they plan on hiring like 30-50 a month starting in January as they are trying to get rid of people with healthcare buyouts

From what I heard, the expressjet headquarters in Atlanta is telling guys in training delta told our execs they plan on hiring like 30-50 a month starting in January as they are trying to get rid of people with healthcare buyouts

I still haven't seen anything from an official channel.

Plus, we're woefully overstaffed and the anticipated (well, much ballyhoo'ed and over-advertised) number of people that were going to take early-outs was tepid, at best.

Methinks is was what I got burned for reporting a few months ago. An old link on the Delta.com website and a tweet.

Regarding flows let's look at history here. Hiring in 2010 was roughly 50% flows and 50% off the street. I would bet top dollar that trend continues until the flow is done going forward. When hiring resumes I doubt they'll limit it to 100 a year. Doesn't make sense. They'll put it off and run staffing tight because well that's what the new contract permits and the early out wasn't as much of a cure all as DALPA advertised...shocking I know especially after the revised estimate halfway through the propaganda rah rah parade. 300ish were hired in 2010 and I think they like the idea of slow and steady hiring rather than the boom/busts of the past.

Regarding the hiring rumor, I really don't see it. It COULD happen but nothing is driving it. Yes 717 and 73's are on the way but DC9's and some old NWA 75's are on the way out. IF economic forecasts at home and abroad improve you very well could see those fleet reductions delayed. It's certainly happened before with the DC9's and if it does, boom a few could be hired. Unlikely IMO. Watch the fleet forecast (or in other words the marketing capacity reduction/increases) for the answer.

The far more likely scenario IMO is that they interview in summer of 2013 for fall '13 and early '14 classes. But if wait to fill out your app based on my uninformed advice, well you're not too bright. Oh yeah and as for the idea that "once we start hiring we won't stop"....Yeah right.

Plus, we're woefully overstaffed and the anticipated (well, much ballyhoo'ed and over-advertised) number of people that were going to take early-outs was tepid, at best.

Easy there I've been crying uncle all summer...errr is that due to the new "enhanced" seniority on reserve system that was MOU'd into our contract and took things a little too far? I'm really not bitter I swear!

Back