Delta opening new hire window?

I understand and appreciate the retirement numbers but if you continually outsource some of your most lucrative flying, shrink the airline to profitability, and give huge concessions in pilot efficiency what good do retirments do? Furlough from the top. Don't think for a minute that management isn't going to ask for even more efficiencies in 3 short years. We've shown that if they give us a meager increase in payrates we will give them whatever efficiencies they want. Hell I still talk to new guys doing somersaults over the increase in reserve guarantee who later ask me "hey when do you think we will be hiring I'm ready to get off reserve." Never mind that we gave them the added bonus of ALV+15 and took away a pilot's OPTION to work more and get paid more when flying is available. A blind man can see the freight train that's getting ready to hit our QOL head on.

The Alaska codeshare and Skyteam international are kicking our asses.

The international model is moving toward the old NWA scheme of flying into hubs (AMS and CDG) and then having Skyteam partners take it from there.

Every loss of an international station (FCO anyone? Really? We really don't fly to FCO with company equipment soon?) means a loss of 3 pilot positions. Now only 2 pilot positions fit on a domestic pairing so voila, overstaffed.

I foresee bringing I from a 11 kilopilot airline to about a 8-9 kilopilot airline with increased partnerships and codeshare and then trickles of hiring to maintain that.

Kilopilot. Aww forum shorthand! :)

I foresee bringing I from a 11 kilopilot airline to about a 8-9 kilopilot airline with increased partnerships and codeshare and then trickles of hiring to maintain that.

Kilopilot. Aww forum shorthand! :)

I think they can get it to 9 kilopilots without much trouble really. Not to mention the substantial loss in the number of super dupper extra premium wide hard body flying positions. That means less mo money flying jobs ya'll. They will still probably get a bunch of yes voters next time by throwing a big raise on the widebodies even after the positions go poof. Watch!

Yup.

Notice the talk of parking the Airbuses in the last newsletter without any replacement? Oh joy.

BTW, wasn't part of the 'sell job' some big exciting announcement because we have a small frame of time to make something AWESOME and SECRET come to fruition if we just voted yes? :) *giggle* :)

Yup.

Notice the talk of parking the Airbuses in the last newsletter without any replacement? Oh joy.

BTW, wasn't part of the 'sell job' some big exciting announcement because we have a small frame of time to make something AWESOME and SECRET come to fruition if we just voted yes? :) *giggle* :)

Parking the older A320's has been a prediction made by many in the category even when I was part of it which has been 6 months to a year ago but this was the first mention of it that I've seen in writing. At this point within this economy any "big" announcement wouldn't be good for pilots. I still fully believe something will be kick started as a result of AMR. Who it's with or what it looks like doesn't really matter. I just know I'm not really excited about it.

People don't listen period. You would not believe how I have to chase people to sign up for our retirement plan; they would rather throw away the company match because they are so lazy to sign up.

And in 2010 I helped about 50 members here with resumes. I told them DH's (the"D" can stand for lots of things) airline was hiring, most turned up their noses. Now, they are mostly beating down the door after the company stopped accepting internal recs. We are trying our best for a select few.

Thanks for the resume review!!! :) Also, I happen to know someone that was eagerly pounding on the door trying to get a call from a certain airline.......it eventually worked!!! :D

Question here, DAL is just about the only place I want to go. I've had LOR's to get into the regional world, but I know no one in DAL. I tend to have quite a bit of jumpseaters on my flight, but I feel its a little weird to just ask for a LOR. Whats the best way to go about it? I come from a family where I am the only person in aviation, so I don't have much to go with.

Have you ever attended NJC? If not.....I highly recommend it. Many, many people here on JC have helped/ been helped by the people they've met and networked with at those events. True story!!!

Have you ever attended NJC? If not.....I highly recommend it. Many, many people here on JC have helped/ been helped by the people they've met and networked with at those events. True story!!!

I'd love to this year, but gotta work. Junior line holder, and cannot trip swap without a big loss of pay. Hopefully next year.

I gotta be that guy and point from an outsider's perspective that if all this market planning biz was so perfect, the airline would be able to post 100 years worth and we'd all be anticipating rather than speculating. Delta may keep the newhire training on a yearly cycle, but nothing else seems to perfectly match that. Eventually, other airlines gotta leave Delta with opportunities, pilots gotta retire early, and economies gotta do things nobody expected. I'm disappointed that Delta has been a little "under" expectation, but I'm not turning my radar off. I made that mistake before. Never will again. You won't be hearing me say things like "when I get my 1000...", or "I'll get around to...", or "I would have gone but scheduling..." A lot of my coworkers are stumbling around saying stuff like that. I just smile.

Thanks for the resume review!!! :) Also, I happen to know someone that was eagerly pounding on the door trying to get a call from a certain airline.......it eventually worked!!! :D
You're very welcome! But you didn't mention that you used every contact, that you made the effort to introduce yourself to DH at a pilot related requal event. You got the interview. But you did the rest of the networking. That's why you got the gouge and the recommendation letter to take into the interview. You did it the right way! :)

Back