Pilot Shortage ???

Talked to a captain a month or so ago who was putting his app in at your carrier, in fact.

While I LOVE the new place I am at, WHY would he give up being a Captain at the 'new' Southwest to go anywhere?

I could see FOs trying to make a move, but Captains? o_O

He doesn't. The Squatch is joking because it's a great opportunity to remind everyone that you guys look like Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October with your sub commander uniforms. ;)

Jealousy is very unbecoming. Y'all can't look this good.

10102118A~Sean-Connery-The-Hunt-for-Red-October-Posters.jpg

While I LOVE the new place I am at, WHY would he give up being a Captain at the 'new' Southwest to go anywhere?

I could see FOs trying to make a move, but Captains? o_O

Dude, he ain't gonna be a captain. Not for another 10 years, anyway. He gets bumped out of his seat by somebody hired years after him and won't even be able to hold ATL as an FO possibly, and then he waits years for the "opportunity" to be a junior captain again on reserve commuting to OAK or PHX, even though he was a mid-seniority line holder here.

I get the feeling that guys don't really comprehend just how much we got raped on this thing.

DALPA weenies, LM included, don't count as "reliable" sources.

LM.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! TM's getting as bad. You know we're the envy of other MECs because of our MCF? Double breast with pride, fellow U Boat commander!

Sent from my TRS-80

Dude, he ain't gonna be a captain. Not for another 10 years, anyway. He gets bumped out of his seat by somebody hired years after him and won't even be able to hold ATL as an FO possibly, and then he waits years for the "opportunity" to be a junior captain again on reserve commuting to OAK or PHX, even though he was a mid-seniority line holder here.

I get the feeling that guys don't really comprehend just how much we got raped on this thing.

Wow.....

Nevermind then!

Cptnchia, just out of curiosity, what is the status of the DPA? Heard they did a great job of stepping on their cranks?
Yeah, they have fallen to the level of "Bitter Fringe Group." After their last two emails, they lost a lot of support. Several guys I talked to are either removing their cards or not going to renew.

Now, that's not to say that DALPAs in the clear. Most, myself included, still feel that a change has to happen. ALPA cannot serve two masters. At a minimum, there should be maybe two divisions, mainline and regional.

While I disagree completely with the "two masters" thing, I would point out that there are several non-insiders running for rep positions in Council 44. Not that I'm endorsing anyone or anything, just pointing it out. ;) Change doesn't need to mean a new union. It really should be about electing people who serve the interests of the pilots rather than serving the interests of the political machine that dominates some MECs. Whether people want to admit it or not, there is no viable alternative to every pilot being a member of the world's largest pilot union. That is where our power comes from. Splitting off into disparate unions, or dividing ourselves into "divisions" would be our undoing. You just need solid reps in elected positions.

What I'm getting at is the whole Comair mess. While I feel for them, the whole, "ALPA screwed us by taking scope back" is a lame argument. Mainline and Regional flying is diametrically opposed. For one to grow, the other must shrink. How do you represent both sides without ending up in a DFR?

How do you represent both sides without ending up in a DFR?

Clearly, DFR is not a problem, as the Ford/Cooksey litigations ended in a settlement that didn't even get the plaintiffs their legal costs back. The DFR issue is perceived, but it doesn't exist in actuality. The reason is simple: ALPA International does not direct negotiations at individual carriers. Each MEC makes its own decisions, sets its own goals, and negotiates its own contracts and other agreements. What DALPA negotiates is not influenced in even a minute way by any regional pilot, nor is what Comair negotiates in any way influenced by any mainline pilot.

Clearly, DFR is not a problem, as the Ford/Cooksey litigations ended in a settlement that didn't even get the plaintiffs their legal costs back. The DFR issue is perceived, but it doesn't exist in actuality. The reason is simple: ALPA International does not direct negotiations at individual carriers. Each MEC makes its own decisions, sets its own goals, and negotiates its own contracts and other agreements. What DALPA negotiates is not influenced in even a minute way by any regional pilot, nor is what Comair negotiates in any way influenced by any mainline pilot.

Great. Now please go tell all the Comair, PNCL, and other regional pilots this so we don't have to be constantly bombarded with why big ole mean poopypants Delta is ruining their career.

Back