Why I don't give out buddy passes.

I am confused Amanda. You asked for a pass and, instead, I pointed you to an affordable fare out of ACY on NK (because DH won't give out worthless passes, even if they are free on NK because the flights are always full--usually jumpseaters have to sit up front) and you chose that option. Or was there a second request for a pass that I missed?
I asked for the pass once when I looked up flights out of the NY area. It probably worked out much better out of ACY for us (and finding out was great as we made several more trips in later months that we would have been able too). I'm very grateful that you did tell us about it. :) It seems they are just making digs that I asked in the first place, but we certainly could not have been able to make anything in the NYC area work and he would have missed it.

Aww, weddings aren't all that much. Now if you go outside of your means significantly, yeah, they can be.

I was stacking mad cheddar in 2002 from a variety of sources, but I didn't spend that much because its largely a couple good pictures, jewelry that doesn't always fit and overpricednapkins. And that nasty, rotting mummified cake in the freezer underneath the Costco weenies that you're supposed to brave up and eat a year later.

Trivial things like that get in the way when the occasional emergency pops up and you're 1 of 50 people on the standby list when you're trying to non-rev to an important event.

Sent from my TRS-80
We didn't go all out, but even a basic wedding is still in the thousands (and for some reason so are most wedding dresses). We have the cake in the freezer. We'll see if we're brave enough to eat it next January. ;) I'm not the court house in a basic dress kind of girl. I wanted good wedding pictures for our children to see and we really did need it after everything that happened (though we didn't know about that part in the planning process). Everything did work out for the better in the end I'm sure. ACY was a great option that we didn't know about until posting.

We didn't go all out, but even a basic wedding is still in the thousands (and for some reason so are most wedding dresses). We have the cake in the freezer. We'll see if we're brave enough to eat it next January. ;) I'm not the court house in a basic dress kind of girl. I wanted good wedding pictures for our children to see and we really did need it after everything that happened (though we didn't know about that part in the planning process). Everything did work out for the better in the end I'm sure. ACY was a great option that we didn't know about until posting.

Oh the Internet is a cruel mistress tonight. Must repeat my mantra... I cannot change her, she will not listen, it doesn't matter. I cannot change her, she will not listen, it doesn't matter.

Oh the Internet is a cruel mistress tonight. Must repeat my mantra... I cannot change her, she will not listen, it doesn't matter. I cannot change her, she will not listen, it doesn't matter.
You do know to a woman a wedding is MUCH more than it is to a man. Some things you just can't really compromise on. You only get one shot (or at least hopefully you do). I would not want to look back and see me at a courthouse not in a wedding dress for my wedding. We did save where we could and found a wonderful, fairly inexpensive caterer and skipped the DJ (though I'm told that is supposed to be one of the include nonnegotiables, but we hardly noticed).

You do know to a woman a wedding is MUCH more than it is to a man. Some things you just can't really compromise on. You only get one shot (or at least hopefully you do). I would not want to look back and see me at a courthouse not in a wedding dress for my wedding. We did save where we could and found a wonderful, fairly inexpensive caterer and skipped the DJ (though I'm told that is supposed to be one of the include nonnegotiables, but we hardly noticed).

I do know me and my wife (a woman) paid for our wedding in cash and had oodles left over for emergencies. Our wedding cost three figures and we don't feel like we skimped on a single thing.

See, you can "compromise" on things when your expectations are in line with reality.

Max in 3... 2... 1....

But on the wedding topic, you wanted an expensive wedding. There's nothing wrong with that but it has an "opportunity cost". You say you did it for your children, but to be honest, I never asked to see, or even wanted to see any photos from my parents wedding. Chances are, they're not going to care.

It might be interesting now since my dad croaked and I'm starting to look a lot like him (but I'll never be half the pimp), but I rarely look at my own, better yet theirs and especially no one else's. I love my friends to death but Jesus man, put the 800 differently angled shots of that cheesy cake away and pull me a bottle of RC cola.

Now if they said, "Doug! We can't take you fishing for your birthday because we spent a lot of loot on these spiffy photos from our wedding", I would probably think they were nuts.

Sent from my TRS-80

Thank you. As if our own weddings are meaningless because we have (enormous) penises.
Not saying it can't, but woman do generally care more about the wedding than men do. Most men wouldn't care if it was just the two of you in Vegas or if there were bouquets or a wedding dress. You don't think women care more about the details of a wedding/ having a "real" wedding than a man?

It ain't the wedding that matters, it's the marriage.

Ask any Kardashian. What did the one with the sex tape spend on hers again? Kim or Chloe, I don't even know which one is the famous one.

Sent from my TRS-80

Max in 3... 2... 1....

But on the wedding topic, you wanted an expensive wedding. There's nothing wrong with that but it has an "opportunity cost". You say you did it for your children, but to be honest, I never asked to see, or even wanted to see any photos from my parents wedding. Chances are, they're not going to care.

It might be interesting now since my dad croaked and I'm starting to look a lot like him (but I'll never be half the pimp), but I rarely look at my own, better yet theirs and especially no one else's. I love my friends to death but Jesus man, put the 800 differently angled shots of that cheesy cake away and pull me a bottle of RC cola.

Now if they said, "Doug! We can't take you fishing for your birthday because we spent a lot of loot on these spiffy photos from our wedding", I would probably think they were nuts.

Sent from my TRS-80
I did look at my parents and was glad they had pictures of a happy day. I think I would have been disappointed if they had pictures in front of courthouse with dad in tennis shoes. Like I've said we didn't go "all out" but did have the things I deemed necessary for a wedding (flowers, photographer, food, cake, basic decorations that we did mostly ourselves). We used the church for both the ceremony and reception, so that saved us. We also skipped the booze (though some of you may find that a necessity- I rarely drink and was supposed to be nearly 8 months pregnant and hubby doesn't drink, so didn't matter to us) and DJ.

Not saying it can't, but woman do generally care more about the wedding than men do. Most men wouldn't care if it was just the two of you in Vegas or if there were bouquets or a wedding dress. You don't think women care more about the details of a wedding/ having a "real" wedding than a man?

You're not listening. I married a woman.

Honest question.

Would you rather have a $10,000-plus vacation with your parents or photos from their wedding?

Me? I'd go vacay.

And yes, I go to weddings for he booze and tenderloin. Ever been to a non-drinking vegan wedding?

Augh! You leave bored and hungry and you end up at In N Out burger and the bar with the other young people anyway.

Sent from my TRS-80

Honest question.

Would you rather have a $10,000-plus vacation with your parents or photos from their wedding?

Me? I'd go vacay.

And yes, I go to weddings for he booze and tenderloin. Ever been to a non-drinking vegan wedding?

Augh! You leave bored and hungry and you end up at In N Out burger and the bar with the other young people anyway.

Sent from my TRS-80
We didn't have tenderloin either (hubby doesn't eat beef or pork), but we did have killer chicken marsala! I'd go with the wedding, but keep the cost down. It's probably largely a gender thing, women tend to more value that one day than men. We'll go on the vacation later. ;) (And we did keep the cost down as much as possible.)

If the rates of divorce keep constant, most people will have a second, third, fourth chance to have "The Big Day."

If the rates of divorce keep constant, most people will have a second, third, fourth chance to have "The Big Day."

And once same sex couples are allowed to marry, I predict the "marriage industrial complex" is going to be the next big thing.

Want to start a photography company, Chia? :)

My favorite part about playing weddings is when the bride tries to talk me down from my (union backed) rates for playing violin by $30, then I arrive and notice how far into the six-figures we are with the wedding itself. Facepalm moment. And the expensive ones always seem to have the most annoying of wedding planners running around corralling everyone!

RE The buddy pass thing: I don't mean to sound like a cermudgeon, but I'm glad the system worked, and gate agents didn't bend out of sympathy to the non-revs. All of us non-revs need to get someplace, and yes I hope we all get on, but there is a (sometimes negotiated!) order to the boarding priority, and I would imagine the storm that would have happened if they had bumped other non-revs to get the family on.

And once same sex couples are allowed to marry, I predict the "marriage industrial complex" is going to be the next big thing.

Want to start a photography company, Chia? :)

Sure! It could definitely be a great "Plan B." Divorce lawyers are also gonna rack up huge. Just think, same sex couples=(mostly)DINKS=huge fights=CHEDDA!

Back