derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345114184.583558.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345114210.251353.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345114228.231537.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345114245.672174.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345114281.559529.jpg

We're going CPDLC this fall, most useless piece of crap technology for a radar envrionment ever created.

Useless, complete waste of time, money and effort. So horribly slow, I'll take VHF please, save the CPDLC for those ocean sectors.

Seriously why in the hell would someone issue a vector via CPDLC... wtf is wrong with these clowns

EDIT: Apparently I have anger issues with CPDLC :def:

We now have CPDLC in all our 767's and got trained on it in AQP. Still never actually used it (which means I don't know squat about it). But anything that will make for less HF communication and easier position reports is a good thing. I was under the impression that clearances could be given using just the box, though. Looks like altitude assignments and course changes still require voice communication?

We're going CPDLC this fall, most useless piece of crap technology for a radar envrionment ever created.

Useless, complete waste of time, money and effort. So horribly slow, I'll take VHF please, save the CPDLC for those ocean sectors.

I guess it all depends on perspective! I think it's helpful in Europe where all the ranged fixes sound alike and would be awesome in eastern Europe because some sound like Count Chocula talking into a coffee can telephone! :)

"KONTACT Bratislava onnnnnna one dree fiy'e dessy mul eight seffen fiy'f!"

Sent from my TRS-80

We now have CPDLC in all our 767's and got trained on it in AQP. Still never actually used it (which means I don't know squat about it). But anything that will make for less HF communication and easier position reports is a good thing. I was under the impression that clearances could be given using just the box, though. Looks like altitude assignments and course changes still require voice communication?

I've had both thru Maastricht. Sometimes they want a voice confirmation, other times they accept a "WILCO" response from the CPDLC. Sometimes the uplink will interface with the FMS so after you give the WILCO, it will load into the FMS and give you an EXEC light.

HF is the devil.

Sent from my TRS-80

I guess it all depends on perspective! I think it's helpful in Europe where all the ranged fixes sound alike and would be awesome in eastern Europe because some sound like Count Chocula talking into a coffee can telephone! :)

Sent from my TRS-80
Problem is, they're giving it to us because they can in my opinion, not because it's needed. We don't have communication issues here for the most part, and on top of that, it's slower than hell compared to using VHF, about the only thing I see useful is when I've got 35+ airplanes in the sector, and a pilot has a request, rather than clogging the frequency, I'll get a mnemonic on the radar tag that he has a request, so I can talk and read that at the same time.

Issuing vectors (Fly present heading) via CPDLC IMO is one of the stupidest/laziest things I've seen in this business to date.

Lots of jokes being made though.

"Delta 80 Requesting FL350"

CPDLC response:

"LOL"

Sent from my TRS-80
Hey, I'll take the Eastern Europeans any day over Italy. I still, after 4 years of flying on this side, have the most trouble with Italian airspace and understanding them...

Yeah, I have to agree with my Canadian colleague, ADS/CPDLC is pretty much the best thing ever in a non-radar, HF environment, but in a VHF/radar environment, I see it as having limited value beyond issuing route clearances (ie Oceanic clearances), and SIGMETs, and it is my understanding that you can receive the latter through other means, but that doesn't cover us on the ATC side of it, we are required to issue safety alerts.

Edit: especially if a voice read back is required for certain clearances.

Back