Am I the only one who hates hearing PA's like this?

Cav

Former Maddog Whisperer
I'm commuting to work on a DCI RJ the other day and the CA makes a PA introducing himself as CA Joe and his FO as Co Capt Bill. Really? First names? I hear this more and more and although it's usually from the FA's it's rediculous no matter who says it.

No, that would be annoying. Only a handful of guys I fly with say they are CA whoever but they always say last names and same for the FOs they introduce.

Drives me crazy. A number of the captains I fly with make a point to tell the lead FA to use last names for the front-end crew. If they want to use first names for themselves, that's fine, but "Captain Bob and First Officer Jeff" just sounds amateurish. And while I'm ranting, I wish captains would stop referring to me as "co-captain" on the PA unless they're going to start giving me part of their pay check and ceding part of their captain's authority to me. I'm a copilot, and I'm fine with it. No need to make up titles.

And while I'm ranting, I wish captains would stop referring to me as "co-captain" on the PA unless they're going to start giving me part of their pay check and ceding part of their captain's authority to me. I'm a copilot, and I'm fine with it. No need to make up titles.

I agree, it's patronizing.

And while I'm ranting, I wish captains would stop referring to me as "co-captain" on the PA unless they're going to start giving me part of their pay check and ceding part of their captain's authority to me. I'm a copilot, and I'm fine with it. No need to make up titles.

In doing so it seems you are giving away Capt's authority before you even claim it. I'm not sure why some are so reluctant to assume a position of authority that is required for safe operation. Some people need to worry more about being the Captain that does a great job and less about being the cool Captain that everyone wants to hang out with. The former is effective, the combination of both can be great to fly with, but the latter alone is pretty worthless when needed by those around them.

If you want to be treated like a professional you have to look and act like one first.

One of my problems with Bluejuice company is exactly this. Mngt needs to stop re-inventing the wheel and cut out all this culture and different type of company crap. One example is the stand-up PAs they expect the pilots to make b4 the flight. In my one year employed here I've never done one because the ones that do look like complete tools. Too many think the have a captive audience to try out their comedy routine. It's embarrassing and the pax could give two craps. Anytime a Captain asks me to say hello to the folks I say I'm fine doing it from the comfy confines of my right seat. "Welcome aboard. XXX amount of time enroute. Smooth ride. Good day."

Just got off a Southwest flight in which we were informed in cruise that "we were about to pass St. Louis but hurry up because we're travelling over 3/4s the speed of sound and don't stick our head out the window since it's -70 outside."
How about clicking the ding and STFU.

One example is the stand-up PAs they expect the pilots to make b4 the flight.

CA Joe did just that. I can see it when something is going on that needs to be explained such as lengthy MX, weather, etc. but I agree with you. The comedy routine almost always falls flat.

It has more me but most importantly I have more respect for myself than to sacrifice my professionalism regardless of the response.

I agree. I'm certainly not going to stop because I don't do it for the response.

I'm just saying that it hasn't worked.

I asked out FA to give my first and last name so the University of Michigan's tennis team girls could facebook me, but I guess it did not happen.

Back