Pilot Shortage ???

Im a first officer for a major south american airline, currently im flying an A320 my credentials are as follow

Total time = 3000
A320= 1500
Turboprop= 1000

Im currently working on my bachelors degree, extensive international travel throughout north, south, central america and the carribean, and i am legal to work in the states.

With the upcoming pilot shortage and with my experience what are my chances of landing a job at a major/ low cost carrier/ cargo carrier, i appreciate all the input good or bad :) this is my first post thanks for everything.

Saying there will be a pilot shortage is dirty on these forums. That said, Spirit, US airways, Southwest,and Virgin are all hiring. Good luck!

The latest I have heard is Southwest won't be hiring anymore for up to a couple of years because of the deal with Delta to take the 717s and delayed delivery of new 737s. But thats just what I have heard nothing official as far as I know.

The latest I have heard is Southwest won't be hiring anymore for up to a couple of years because of the deal with Delta to take the 717s and delayed delivery of new 737s. But thats just what I have heard nothing official as far as I know.
Talked to a SWA CA about that yesterday. He has no idea what will happen to the extra pilots when the 717s leave. He told me to go to Delta of all things (mainly because of the retirements). Unfortunately Delta hates freight pilots.

I heard the same last night. They're overstaffed by 400 with the 717s leaving the fleet.

APC : Deferred deliveries in May of 30 B-737-800s by about four years
They currently have 17 flying.

Im a first officer for a major south american airline, currently im flying an A320 my credentials are as follow

Total time = 3000
A320= 1500
Turboprop= 1000

Im currently working on my bachelors degree, extensive international travel throughout north, south, central america and the carribean, and i am legal to work in the states.

With the upcoming pilot shortage and with my experience what are my chances of landing a job at a major/ low cost carrier/ cargo carrier, i appreciate all the input good or bad :) this is my first post thanks for everything.

Hey, welcome!!! Im doing the same thing as you, it seems that united may open the hiring window for next year!, what I would suggest for you, is to wait for a legacy, I think you're making more money at your current job, than what you would make in the US with a low cost carrier!! I also have 3000tt, 2000 hrs= 737-200-300, and 300pic and adding up on the ERJ 145 my current position.
Try to get some jet pic time, thats what most majors attract from candidates!!

Total time = 3000
A320= 1500
Turboprop= 1000

Going to take a stab at it and guess you work for either LAN Chile or Avianca?

Going to take a stab at it and guess you work for either LAN Chile or Avianca?

Probably. I know when I was at ERAU, LAN was taking Spanish speaking CFI's with less than 1000tt. Right into an A320 or 767. South American ATP Rule... haha, ya, whatever.

only 3000 and already 1500 on a 320....its so different outside the US

I know some guys who fly right seat in 737 for Turkish with only a few hundred hours, right out of flight school in the USA. It's scary talking to them about it on Facebook. How much they love the job, but know so little about the plane and whats going on.

Probably. I know when I was at ERAU, LAN was taking Spanish speaking CFI's with less than 1000tt. Right into an A320 or 767. South American ATP Rule... haha, ya, whatever.

My old college roommate interviewed at LAN Chile with 320 hours. The kid could speak Spanish as if it was his first language, which is what they basically wanted.

From what I've heard an FO is really just a gear slinger at many of these foreign outlets. Is there any truth to that?

Back