A big thank you to Doug and Kristie and a request

JOEFRIDAY2

First, a big thank you to Doug and Kristie for putting on this NJC again this year. The networking opportunity at NJC is unmatched by anything else in this industry. Putting on this event is a lot of work and expense.

I know those of us that attended last year were just so impressed at the career fair that was produced as part of NJC. When you have 450+ lined up outside the door on the first day, just waiting to get in, it becomes an event that is just overwhelming and incredibly impressive to the attendees as well as the exhibitors. We didn't get the Career Fair this year because it was simply too big and too expensive for one Delta Airline pilot to produce and fund.

With all of that being said, last night, a few of us were discussing how to make NJC 2012 even better and more useful than any prior NJC events.

This year, we were again treated to the networking suite. That is an important part of NJC and one that will never go away. The suite is always a hit and in my opinion, Doug and Kristie have this part down.

However there are two other components that should be part of NJC that were not here this year. Last year we got a taste of those two other components. The two components are the career fair and the educational seminars.

In speaking to Doug, he doesn't want a career fair at NJC to be just like one of the other dozens of career fairs that are produced by others. You know the ones that promise you the world and just never seem to deliver. He wants any career fair at NJC to be a win win for everyone including the exhibitors and attendees. Maybe "career fair" is not even the most ideal description to use for NJC.

On the educational seminar side, what we had last year was a great start. But I believe Doug wants to take this even further to provide opportunities for us to get something that can really benefit us.

So with all of that being said, I would like to begin a discussion about what you would like to see at NJC 2012. What do you need in your career that you think NJC can help you with? What feature, or session, would get you excited about coming to NJC 2012?

The networking suite is open in the evening. It is great. But that leaves the days kinda open.

Would you like to see a day or two of educational sessions and or seminars for the commercial pilot?

For example, if you are a CFI would you like a way to renew your CFI at NJC? Nothing is on or off of the table. Open up your mind and dream a bit here!

Here are some other examples in no particular order:

Would you like an FAA presentation about things that really relate to our part of this business?

Would like to to hear from some air traffic controllers?

Would you like to hear from the airline HR departments about what they really need at the airlines?

Would you like to see something from the aircraft manufacturers about the aircraft that we fly?

Would you like to see something about electronic logbooks?

Would you like to see something about apps?

Would you like to hear from commercial pilots that have been involved in incidents and what they did to get through those incidents?

Please open up about what you would like to see and what it would take to get you interested in attending NJC.

There are 22,000 members here. There are hundreds that come here everyday that are not members to gain useful information. I know there are a bunch of great ideas out there. Many of you are just getting started in this career. Others of you have thousands of hours. I would like to hear ideas posted in this thread from all sides on this. From the zero hours to the 250 hours to the 2000 hours to the multi thousand hour pilot. With your ideas and suggestions, NJC 2012 can be the best event ever.

Joe

Well, I'll refrain from talking about the rest of the stuff (as we spent a good hour the other night talking in person)

However, I do wish to extend a big thank you to D & K for pulling it off again. Good to see new faces as well.

Good work guys!

I would also like to thank Doug and Kristie. NJC was a great opportunity for me, and I enjoyed meeting everyone. It is truly a unique event for us as pilots and aspiring pilots.

To those who have never been to NJC before...make plans to go next year! You won't regret it (unless you're the one manning the elevator all night. Thanks Mike!).

It was an amazing time as always, great making memories with old faces and meeting new ones. Doug and Kristie new ever disappoint in any way what so ever, and if you didn't make the trip to Vegas, you missed out. My advice to everyone is when the dates are posted, bid vacation, get a hotel, find room mates, do whatever you need to do but make sure you do everything you can to make it out to Vegas. An event is nothing without the attendees, and trust me when I say you all owe it to yourselves to come.

personally, I'd like to see some education on auditory prevention....while we were at NBAA today, we met with David Clark, Sennheiser, Lightspeed, Telex and Bose. They are all interested in being at ACE2012 (yay!) and I brought up the idea of having a preventative hearing loss (audio) seminar because i know the noises are loud and pilots tend to lose a good portion of hearing the longer they work in aviation.

so hopefully, we'll have something to offer on that topic next year :)

personally, I'd like to see some education on auditory prevention....while we were at NBAA today, we met with David Clark, Sennheiser, Lightspeed, Telex and Bose. They are all interested in being at ACE2012 (yay!) and I brought up the idea of having a preventative hearing loss (audio) seminar because i know the noises are loud and pilots tend to lose a good portion of hearing the longer they work in aviation.

Kristie that would rock, and I would also love to see the feds and some ATC guys out there next year!

Feds?

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!!!!!! (Someone not as lazy can add the appropriate Hitler clip.)

This is supposed to be an enjoyable event. Enjoyable does not ever involve feds in any way, shape, form, color, texture, or smell.

None of us actually have hearing loss. We just use that excuse to tune out certain "frequencies" around the house

I'd like to make the next one but we bid leave starting NOW for next year so we'd need a hard date to make any plans.

Sorry if this is a bit late as I have been busy. Here are a few of my thoughts on ideas for next year.

1. I agree with Kristie's thought on having a rep from a headset company talk about hearing loss. Last year (2010) they brought in a rep from Sennheiser. Might be a good idea if this is covered next year.

2. Keep it mid-sized. I think this years grouping was just right as opposed to NJC2010.

3. Tours of corporate flight ops. I know it's a hassle but it might be fun in 2012.

4. Resume reviews and courses on how to draft a Pilot's resume if your a low timer. I'm not sure how this would work. But I'm positive there are new commercial pilots that get a deer in headlight look when it comes time to put one together.

good ideas!!

We had resume reviews last year...I agree that it would be good to add a resume/interview seminar or maybe we can do that as a webinar before the event.

We had MGM Corporate tours last year and we can incorporate again!

Mid-sized is a good idea...someone (i think it was Ben) brought up the idea of having one small sized networking event and one "all welcome" event. both good ideas :)

Keep em coming!!

Back