"Remember 3407" Airline Labor Reform Act

Firebird2XC

Okay, I've had more than enough.

It's plainly clear to me that we, as aviation professionals, as Americans, as human beings, are under attack. We're being beaten down into plow horses, mules, and hapless indentured servants.

ENOUGH!

I hereby propose that collectively, both here on JetCareers, in our own personal lives, at our places of business, and through our Unions, we begin the process of CHANGE.

We have had endless rhetoric and conjecture on what should be done about the nature of our business. But what HAS been done?

It seems nearly always that things end with "but what can we do.. none of us know how to do this sort of thing..."

So?

Ladies and Gentlemen, at times such as these, it is important that we not look at the Herculean task before us and falsely assume we must each untake the task all in our own selves.

Reinventing the wheel or martyring one's self to the 'cause' of a better standard of living is NOT what we need.

What we need is something very many of us already do very well: a cool, calm assessment of the situation at hand, the tools we readily have available, and the will to act confidently and decisively.

It's time.

In today's political atmosphere of Change, more possibility exists to conceive the differences needed in order to make this a better world for all of us. What will all the rhetoric do from last fall if we simply let the sound of the trumpets fade when the moment when we must DARE TO BE GREAT go UNANSWERED!

I, along with any one else willing to do so, will endeavor the following:

1. I will draft letters to my elected officials expressing my deep concern over the present state of Airline Labor law and how I think it should be changed.
(I will, over the next several days, attempt to provide form letters for the less-inclined to writing.)

2. I will make it a clear point to understand the current rest standards, regulations, and procedures at my present employer. I will not allow them to violate them, and will clearly explain them to anyone who wishes to understand them.

3. I will tell other aviation professionals about this movement. I will attempt, patiently and diplomatically, to demonstrate the need for reform and to engender a sense of unity and to enlist the aid of both the young and enthusiastic and the old and experienced hands.

4. I will demand action from public officials on this subject.

5. If necessary, I will attempt to write to news media outlets to clearly, rationally, professionally explain their lack of understanding of Airline procedures and the real-world scenarios at hand.

6. I WILL NOT QUIT. I will not roll over in bed tomorrow morning and forget what I have stated that I will do today. I will understand that the commitment I make today is one that will shape and change not only my personal future, but the future of the industry, and the world around us as well.

I will not tire. I will not falter, I will not waiver.

The fallen of Colgan Air flight 3407 have made it clear- our lives truly are at stake every time we take to the skies to earn our living. If we do not take proper precaution, we may well find ourselves in a situation in which our very best is demanded in order to reach a safe outcome. In order to LIVE.

While the exact cause of the crash of Colgan Air 3407 has not yet been determined, and much has been said in speculation, the lacking nature of our work rules and legislation governing this industry has never been more clear.

It has been said that the rules and regulations which govern our operations and were put in place to ensure our safety have been written in the blood of those who died before their inception. Given this, it is clear that the crew and passengers of Colgan Air 3407 have once again filled that sacred ink well of change. It is time to solemnly, seriously, and decisively pick up that quill of remembrance and dip it into the last remains of those who paid the ultimate price for our lack of vision.

It is time to craft a new vision for a future in which no person, regardless of their understanding or background, should hestitate to set foot along with their family aboard an airliner in this country.

It is time.

As a member of the flying public, I hope you succeed. I'll do whatever I can to provide my support as well. There needs to be a website that people can go to that provides a frank description of the situation as it is. I need to be able to forward it to my friends so they can read the things that they don't believe when I tell them.

God speed guys!

[I'm being the guy who starts with the slow clap which inspires full and raging applause]
<i'm being="" guy="" who="" starts="" with="" the="" slow="" clap="" which="" inspires="" full="" and="" raging="" applause="">
Give 'em hell Charlie! Let me know what I can do.</i'm>

Has anyone ever thought of contacting various media outlets to have them do an expose on the regionals? I'm sure they'd love to hear some of the stories of what you guys endure for the pay you get. As someone else said in either this thread or another one, it could be done with voice changes/face image blocked. Now THAT would be an eye-opener.

Thanks for the initial reception, everybody.

The iron of change in history is once again hot, ladies and gentleman.

It's time for us to be the hammer of effort and exerted will.

I think I need some sort of web page needs to be put up to begin the PR campaign.

I remember that back in the day, there was a site that did limited site hosting for free. Anybody know which one was?

I'd like everybody to know that I'm very open to help, serious ideas, or even wacky schemes if they come from an honest desire to help.

I've never really wanted to be the one to carry the flag and charge into battle, but given my gift with the written word, it seems the responsibility has fallen to me.

Help is encouraged and readily welcomed.

Has anyone ever thought of contacting various media outlets to have them do an expose on the regionals? I'm sure they'd love to hear some of the stories of what you guys endure for the pay you get. As someone else said in either this thread or another one, it could be done with voice changes/face image blocked. Now THAT would be an eye-opener.

BEAUTIFUL idea. That you, P!

The NYC area airports and ORD would be a great place to start, given the various regionals based there.

DFW an IAH would be a great place to talk to pilots in their domiciles as well.

I believe the media did a thing on Mesa pilots sleeping on the planes on their reduced rest overnights a while ago...

Maybe try to find 20/20 or one of those type of programs rather than just the local news

I think I need some sort of web page needs to be put up to begin the PR campaign.

I remember that back in the day, there was a site that did limited site hosting for free. Anybody know which one was?

My brother has a hosting service, we may be able to take care of the website aspect. Will PM with details.

I believe the media did a thing on Mesa pilots sleeping on the planes on their reduced rest overnights a while ago...

Maybe try to find 20/20 or one of those type of programs rather than just the local news

A nation-wide program would definitely help.

Another good idea!

Unless there is something blatantly illegal going on, you have a harder sell. Local media tends to be the empty-calorie-twinkie - TV anyway. Print has better credibility, but they're dying quickly.

This is what news editors want - they want a local hook - something about the story that ties back into the community they serve. So if it's a story about a regional with a pilot base in that market, that gives them localization. The story also needs an arc - a plot, if you will. Instead of a story about "this sucks for this reason", they need an actual story to tell the viewer. Otherwise, they won't run with it.

Finally, it has to make them look like they're doing something for the community - news stations are concerned with their image. You have an advantage with AMR/AE being based in DFW. Reporting on them is, in fact, a public service. Even if it was spun (and it WILL be spun) to show that AE/AMR is a "better" regional than others, whether it's wholly true or not.

What you have going for you right now is that this kind of story is VERY timely. If something is going to be done, it needs to be done/pitched/sold NOW. Like this week, early next week, because post-production, research and fact-checking takes time and they need the story to relate to what's fresh in people's minds.

Charlie - you're in a good position for this. Contact Becky Oliver at Fox 4 News in Dallas. She's probably your best bet to start something like this.

BEAUTIFUL idea. That you, P!

The NYC area airports and ORD would be a great place to start, given the various regionals based there.

DFW an IAH would be a great place to talk to pilots in their domiciles as well.

Now you just need to find some pilots with the cajones to put themselves "out there." Now is probably the right time to get it going since all of you are fired up--and this story is front and center in the media.
I'd be willing to help if you could use me, since I'm unemployed.

Unless there is something blatantly illegal going on, you have a harder sell. Local media tends to be the empty-calorie-twinkie - TV anyway. Print has better credibility, but they're dying quickly.

This is what news editors want - they want a local hook - something about the story that ties back into the community they serve. So if it's a story about a regional with a pilot base in that market, that gives them localization. The story also needs an arc - a plot, if you will. Instead of a story about "this sucks for this reason", they need an actual story to tell the viewer. Otherwise, they won't run with it.

Finally, it has to make them look like they're doing something for the community - news stations are concerned with their image. You have an advantage with AMR/AE being based in DFW. Reporting on them is, in fact, a public service. Even if it was spun (and it WILL be spun) to show that AE/AMR is a "better" regional than others, whether it's wholly true or not.

What you have going for you right now is that this kind of story is VERY timely right now, and if something is going to be done, it needs to be done/pitched/sold NOW. Like this week, early next week, because post-production, research and fact-checking takes time and they need the story to relate to what's fresh in people's minds.

Charlie - you're in a good position for this. Contact Becky Oliver at Fox 4 News in Dallas. She's probably your best bet to start something like this.

Thanks for the insight, Bill. I definitely would not have had this take on it, but you're definitely right.

Yay. I'm going to be on the news!

Now you just need to find some pilots with the cajones to put themselves "out there." Now is probably the right time to get it going since all of you are fired up--and this story is front and center in the media.
I'd be willing to help if you could use me, since I'm unemployed.

Actually, P, you're probably one of the most useful people we have right now.

You resigned from Colgan Air following the crash.

You were actually able to put your money were your mouth is when your concerns were raised.

That gives you a certain credibility that nearly anyone else could not have.

I wrote a generic letter, so anyone who wants to proofread or use it to send to their own representative, feel free to do so.

Dear Sir,

I am writing to your because I am deeply concerned about the state of Air Line labor. I am sure you are aware of the recent wave of incidents that have plagued commercial flights for the past year. No matter the major cause of the crashes, one undeniable fact is that airlines are putting less experienced pilots in the cockpit.

Airlines experienced a mild pilot shortage before this recession. Any pilot with a pulse could get a job. This was due to decreased hiring minimums, which made these jobs flying passenger planes available to less experienced individuals. The trend the airlines are taking up is one of self-destruction, and is also eroding the safety that the flying public once took for granted.

Now that this recession has taken place, thousands of pilots have been furloughed. And the pilots who are still in work are getting wages that do not suit the skill or responsibility the job requires. A regional First Office makes less than an unskilled job such as a secretary. Along with decreasing pay, the cost for flight training has gone up to an almost deal breaking level for most students. A 4 year flight education from a university can now cost over $200,000. This coupled with the fact that these students will start out making 20 something grand a year is just an atrocity. An experienced and well trained pilot is the best safety system any airline flight could possibly have. These facts are not an enticing feature to prospective students, which will drastically decrease the number of individuals seeking flight training to the commercial level. My concern is that instead of raising pay, which needs to be done immediately anyways, is that the airlines will accept lower flight time individuals. This will put less experienced flight crews at the hands of a plane with hundreds of passengers inside that depend on them for a safe trip.

We need to help reform airline labor so that pilots can do their job without overbearing financial worries. The job set forth to pilots is worth way more than what they are currently paid, and I think we will start to see this take a toll on the quality of people obtaining pilots licenses. Captain Sullenberger said it best when he stated that the only reason we have such competent people now is because being a pilot recently meant outstanding pay, job security, and positive public recognition. All of these perks have left the airline pilot industry, and current pilots are just trying to survive let alone save money for personal needs such as long vacations.

The reform absolutely needs to take place within the next year. And the following should be included: higher pay across the board, better job security, regulating the management that airlines have so pilots do not become ATM machines for revolving door CEOs and board members, and also we need to set a government enforced hiring standard for pilots that will reflect the amount of experience necessary to do such a high risk job.

Unless we fix these things, we will see many negative effects on the flying public and their safety. Also, less qualified individuals will be at the hands of a yoke with hundreds of lives dependent on their skill. We need to make the piloting profession viable for people economically again. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope you will help the cause in any way that you can.

Excellent letter, Kestrel.

I'll be back in a little bit. I'm going to hit the gym and then sit down with a pad and paper to brainstorm a little bit.

Back