"Remember 3407" Airline Labor Reform Act

Just the other day my uncle said that human pilots are a "redundant" system. Clearly the public sees flying an airliner as pushing some shiny buttons and letting a computer do all the work. This is FAR from the truth. Lets see a computer land a plane in a crosswind!

I dont care if he is my uncle I LET HIM HAVE IT. The nerve of that guy.

Just the other day my uncle said that human pilots are a "redundant" system. Clearly the public sees flying an airliner as pushing some shiny buttons and letting a computer do all the work. This is FAR from the truth. Lets see a computer land a plane in a crosswind!

I dont care if he is my uncle I LET HIM HAVE IT. The nerve of that guy.

Heh. Depends what you call a landing. You should see the dent I made at MCO with the saab-o-matic, shoulda left the auto on and VS'ed down.

I kid I kid.

Lets see a computer land a plane in a crosswind!

Sometimes, they do it better than a human.

Don't get too smug. There was an experiment a while ago that the Air Force conducted, and they put some pilots into a sim and compared their performance in a very difficult situation to that of a computer.

You want to guess who did better?

Sometimes, they do it better than a human.

Don't get too smug. There was an experiment a while ago that the Air Force conducted, and they put some pilots into a sim and compared their performance in a very difficult situation to that of a computer.

You want to guess who did better?
No I don't want to guess...won't you please tell me?!?

Computers are great, and sometimes they do really neat things.

Unfortunately, even if they COULD take over for human pilots, a great many airline aircraft lack the systems to do so. Furthermore, many airports lack the ground navigational aids to allow such airplanes to perform as programmed.

Either way, it'll be a long time before the average American gets on an airplane and lets a computer do the flying without human intervention.

We're needed, and we're valuable, if only because human intuition and hard-earned experience can't be uploaded to the FMS.

Be sharp out there, people. There are people cracking down on line pilots, especially in some places. The attempt to scapegoat pilot groups in the aftermath of Colgan 3407 is clearly present.

Don't let the bastards get you down.

I wonder if it's hardly worth trying to push people on this board to spread the word about R3407. We keep posting and posting on JC to get people on board yet these people see quite disinterested in putting forth any effort. We are approaching the path towards committing commercial piloting's suicide.

Hey firebird, jtrain found this article. It really should be added to the website.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/746101.html

Thanks, I'll look into it.

You might note there seems to be a lack of inertia here on JC regarding the R3407P. Not to worry.

Currently, the FAA, Congress, and industry as a whole have taken the handoff. The media's doing a great job keeping it rolling.

For the moment, we need roll no more snowballs- the first snowball is rolling briskly. We can wait and see what develops before we pour more energy into the scenario.

I wonder if it's hardly worth trying to push people on this board to spread the word about R3407. We keep posting and posting on JC to get people on board yet these people see quite disinterested in putting forth any effort. We are approaching the path towards committing commercial piloting's suicide.

Although I'm a newcomer to JC, by invite from a member, I'm not a newbie to flying, the military or the airlines.

From what little I've seen it appears that most the members here are just starting out so I can forgive them for being more preoccupied with hanging on during this economy and continuing to strive for a career as a professional pilot.

Don't give up, Kestrel. If you contact 20 people all day and only one sees the light, then you are one more ahead than how you started out that day.

Although I'm a newcomer to JC, by invite from a member, I'm not a newbie to flying, the military or the airlines.

From what little I've seen it appears that most the members here are just starting out so I can forgive them for being more preoccupied with hanging on during this economy and continuing to strive for a career as a professional pilot.

Don't give up, Kestrel. If you contact 20 people all day and only one sees the light, then you are one more ahead than how you started out that day.
I appreciate your sensibilities...welcome to Jetcareers.:beer:

yup, flying T22 under contract to the Forest Service.

Cool! I never flew them, but had the pleasure of freezing my butt off in the back of them a couple times between Jacksonville and Norfolk.

Is that a volcanic neck in the background of the picture?

Back