"Remember 3407" Airline Labor Reform Act

Kestrel...the intent of the letter is good, but I would tone down the emotive bits of it some...

"Any pilot with a pulse could get a job" - indicative of the feeling at the time, but factually untrue.

Making the point that standards and safety can be raised with better working conditions - I think - is the point you want to make. Extract those salient points and be concise about it and you'll have a stronger impact with your letter.

In persuasive writing, more words count less.

I added a little bit in about the next hiring wave.

Dear Sir,

I am writing to your because I am deeply concerned about the state of Air Line labor. I am sure you are aware of the recent wave of incidents that have plagued commercial flights for the past year. No matter the major cause of the crashes, one undeniable fact is that airlines are putting less experienced pilots in the cockpit.

Airlines experienced a mild pilot shortage before this recession. Any pilot with a pulse could get a job. This was due to decreased hiring minimums, which made these jobs flying passenger planes available to less experienced individuals. The trend the airlines are taking up is one of self-destruction, and is also eroding the safety that the flying public once took for granted.

Now that this recession has taken place, thousands of pilots have been furloughed. And the pilots who are still in work are getting wages that do not suit the skill or responsibility the job requires. A regional First Office makes less than an unskilled job such as a secretary. Along with decreasing pay, the cost for flight training has gone up to an almost deal breaking level for most students. A 4 year flight education from a university can now cost over $200,000. This coupled with the fact that these students will start out making 20 something grand a year is just an atrocity. An experienced and well trained pilot is the best safety system any airline flight could possibly have. These facts are not an enticing feature to prospective students, which will drastically decrease the number of individuals seeking flight training to the commercial level. My concern is that instead of raising pay, which needs to be done immediately anyways, is that the airlines will accept lower flight time individuals. This will put less experienced flight crews at the hands of a plane with hundreds of passengers inside that depend on them for a safe trip.

We need to help reform airline labor so that pilots can do their job without overbearing financial worries. The job set forth to pilots is worth way more than what they are currently paid, and I think we will start to see this take a toll on the quality of people obtaining pilots licenses. Captain Sullenberger said it best when he stated that the only reason we have such competent people now is because being a pilot recently meant outstanding pay, job security, and positive public recognition. All of these perks have left the airline pilot industry, and current pilots are just trying to survive let alone save money for personal needs such as long vacations.

The reform absolutely needs to take place within the next year. And the following should be included: higher pay across the board, better job security, regulating the management that airlines have so pilots do not become ATM machines for revolving door CEOs and board members, and also we need to set a government enforced hiring standard for pilots that will reflect the amount of experience necessary to do such a high risk job.

Unless we fix these things, we will see many negative effects on the flying public and their safety. Also, less qualified individuals will be at the hands of a yoke with hundreds of lives dependent on their skill. We need to make the piloting profession viable for people economically again. I think the mild shortage before the recession is a warning sign of things to come. How low will the hiring standards go when the next hiring wave the pilot industry experiences after this recession goes away and the airlines are scrambling for enough pilots to fill the seats dealing with the fact that a lot less pilots have graduated due to the poor working standards to look forward to?

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope you will help the cause in any way that you can.

Unless there is something blatantly illegal going on, you have a harder sell. Local media tends to be the empty-calorie-twinkie - TV anyway. Print has better credibility, but they're dying quickly.

This is what news editors want - they want a local hook - something about the story that ties back into the community they serve. So if it's a story about a regional with a pilot base in that market, that gives them localization. The story also needs an arc - a plot, if you will. Instead of a story about "this sucks for this reason", they need an actual story to tell the viewer. Otherwise, they won't run with it.

Finally, it has to make them look like they're doing something for the community - news stations are concerned with their image. You have an advantage with AMR/AE being based in DFW. Reporting on them is, in fact, a public service. Even if it was spun (and it WILL be spun) to show that AE/AMR is a "better" regional than others, whether it's wholly true or not.

What you have going for you right now is that this kind of story is VERY timely. If something is going to be done, it needs to be done/pitched/sold NOW. Like this week, early next week, because post-production, research and fact-checking takes time and they need the story to relate to what's fresh in people's minds.

Charlie - you're in a good position for this. Contact Becky Oliver at Fox 4 News in Dallas. She's probably your best bet to start something like this.
Considering the fact that many airports today, operate a large percentage of regional airline flights, I would think the tie in could be to the people who fly in and out of the local airport. The media might grab a hold of that. My local airport operates about 30+ airline flights per day, 100% regional airline. If reduced rest, safety, etc., is a concern, and that is pitched, I think the media may see it as a viable story that has a "local hook".

I can hear it now; "How could pilot fatigue and work rules effect your safety on your next flight out of XYZ airport? .... more at 10".

While the exact cause of the crash of Colgan Air 3407 has not yet been determined

I think your heart is in the right place but I'm gonna say it. I think your hitching your wagon to the wrong horse. The crash is gonna be determined to be pilot error-F.I. with gear down, flaps lead to a stall with improper recovery. Can that be linked to pilot fatigue? I don't think the public or elected officials are going to see that.
I applaud you for your convictions but I don't think you have the evidence other than opinions of regional pilots.

I think your heart is in the right place but I'm gonna say it. I think your hitching your wagon to the wrong horse. The crash is gonna be determined to be pilot error-F.I. with gear down, flaps lead to a stall with improper recovery. Can that be linked to pilot fatigue? I don't think the public or elected officials are going to see that.
I applaud you for your convictions but I don't think you have the evidence other than opinions of regional pilots.

Remember the Comair takeoff crash?

How 'bout that? String a few things together, and suddenly things look different.

It's not about past history, entirely. It's a warning about future trends.

Has anyone ever thought of contacting various media outlets to have them do an expose on the regionals?

looks like The Washington Post has an article on it..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...05/13/AR2009051301848.html?hpid=moreheadlines

"Under questioning from the board, Mary Finnigan, Colgan's vice president for administration, reported that Rebecca Shaw, co-pilot of the crash plane, drew an annual salary of $16,200 a year. The board also said that Shaw once held a second job in coffee shop while working as a pilot for the airline in Norfolk, Va. "

Dear Sir,

I am writing to your because I am deeply concerned about the state of airline labor. I am sure you are aware of the recent wave of incidents that have plagued commercial flights for the past year. No matter the major cause of the crashes, one undeniable fact is that airlines are putting less experienced pilots in the cockpit.

Airlines experienced a mild pilot shortage before this recession and subsequently hired pilots who had very little experience. {Any pilot with a pulse could get a job. This was due to decreased hiring minimums, which made these jobs flying passenger planes available to less experienced individuals. (delete)} This trend the airlines had is one of self-destruction, and also eroded the safety that the flying public once took for granted. (you had a bunch of tense issues in this paragraph - stick to all past tense or all present - don't switch mid way through)

Due to the recession which has taken place, thousands of pilots have been furloughed. The pilots who are still working have had their salary cut repeatedly, sometimes by more than half. These pilots are getting wages that do not suit the skill or responsibility the job requires. A First Officer makes anywhere from $16,000 - $30,000 (put in the right numbers) for their first few years. Along with decreasing pay, the cost for flight training has gone up exponentially. A 4 year flight education from a university can now cost over $200,000. Because of this, there is a shortage of well qualified individuals. Instead of raising wages to attract these types of pilots, the airlines have lowered their standards for hiring and training events. This in turn leads to an inexperienced crew which can spell disaster if faced with an emergency situation. These pilots have 50 to 90 plus lives in their hands and they need to be experienced and well trained.

We need to help reform airline labor so that pilots can do their job without overbearing financial worries. The job set forth to pilots is worth way more than what they are currently paid, and I think we will start to see this take a toll on the quality of people obtaining pilots licenses. Captain Sullenberger said it best when he stated that the only reason we have such competent people now is because being a pilot recently meant outstanding pay, job security, and positive public recognition. All of these perks have left the airline pilot industry, and current pilots are just trying to survive let alone save money for personal needs such as long vacations.

The reform absolutely needs to take place within the next year. And the following should be included: higher pay across the board, better job security, regulating the management that airlines have so pilots do not become ATM machines for revolving door CEOs and board members, and also we need to set a government enforced hiring standard for pilots that will reflect the amount of experience necessary to do such a high risk job.

Unless we fix these things, we will see many negative effects on the flying public and their safety. Also, less qualified individuals will be at the hands of a yoke with hundreds of lives dependent on their skill. We need to make the piloting profession viable for people economically again. I think the mild shortage before the recession is a warning sign of things to come. How low will the hiring standards go when the next hiring wave the pilot industry experiences after this recession goes away and the airlines are scrambling for enough pilots to fill the seats dealing with the fact that a lot less pilots have graduated due to the poor working standards to look forward to?

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope you will help the cause in any way that you can.

I have to go pick up Jtrain from work - but that's what I've got so far in editing your letter

Thanks for the input, Emily.

All the input, skull-sweat and other drive is GREATLY appreciated!

Ladies and Gentlemen, this very action is the sort of thing that Doug and Kristie operate this website for.

Our chance to 'pay it forward' for our industry, our livelihoods, and those that will come after us is staring us in the face.

Now's the time.

The responsibility lays with us to speak up about what we have seen and what we have done. It's time to make things clear that we have been pushed too far and the sacrifices and compromises that have been forced upon us have created a dangerous and unacceptable outcome.

also, in the letter I'd talk a bit less about the $$ aspects of things and focus a little bit more on the rest requirements and how they're used to the companies advantage (ie, 24hrs off in a 6 or 7? day period but they'll say that you get in at noon, and don't show until noon the next day and now you've had your 24hrs) as well as high speed overnights, 8hrs from brake drop to show time, working 16hr days (when was the last time anyone besides a pilot or a lawyer did that?)

Well im not a pilot YET. If there is anything that i can Do though. Please let me know. I whant to help out as much as possible. For my future job and fellow Pilots!

I don't think your letter should have anything in it about pay. I think you should focus on what the recipient of the letter can directly influence. I also believe the performance of both crew members was a decent representation of how they were being compensated.

If anything, the goal of your battle should be to raise 121 minimums to a higher level (hint: ATP). This is something that the gov't could possibly influence and if this is accomplished, a higher salary will result. The main point of your letter should be that the crew didn't have any business having the job that they did. This is not their fault, but the airlines.

Thanks for the initial reception, everybody.

The iron of change in history is once again hot, ladies and gentleman.

It's time for us to be the hammer of effort and exerted will.

I think I need some sort of web page needs to be put up to begin the PR campaign.

I remember that back in the day, there was a site that did limited site hosting for free. Anybody know which one was?

I'd like everybody to know that I'm very open to help, serious ideas, or even wacky schemes if they come from an honest desire to help.

I've never really wanted to be the one to carry the flag and charge into battle, but given my gift with the written word, it seems the responsibility has fallen to me.

Help is encouraged and readily welcomed.
i can help you with that :)

also, don't forget to get the spouses, girlfriends and immediate families involved also... they're just as important since they care about your general welfare as an aviation professional :D

also, in the letter I'd talk a bit less about the $$ aspects of things and focus a little bit more on the rest requirements and how they're used to the companies advantage (ie, 24hrs off in a 6 or 7? day period but they'll say that you get in at noon, and don't show until noon the next day and now you've had your 24hrs) as well as high speed overnights, 8hrs from brake drop to show time, working 16hr days (when was the last time anyone besides a pilot or a lawyer did that?)

Yeah, right because they are the only ones that do that. :rolleyes: Plenty of people I work with in I.T. do that on a regular basis as well as many others in corporate america....

I don't think your letter should have anything in it about pay. I think you should focus on what the recipient of the letter can directly influence. I also believe the performance of both crew members was a decent representation of how they were being compensated.

If anything, the goal of your battle should be to raise 121 minimums to a higher level (hint: ATP). This is something that the gov't could possibly influence and if this is accomplished, a higher salary will result. The main point of your letter should be that the crew didn't have any business having the job that they did. This is not their fault, but the airlines.

To not say anything about the pay pilots get would leave the reader confused as to why this whole situation is a problem to PILOTS and their families. This way we get the point across that it is bad for both the crew and the passengers.

Back