Anybody use simulators?

Jeremy

So, I'm pretty much obsessed with flying and aviation. But, I'm not old enough to fly a plane. But I can use flight sims!

Anybody use them on their computer?

So, I'm pretty much obsessed with flying and aviation. But, I'm not old enough to fly a plane. But I can use flight sims!

how old are you?

im pretty nifty in the sims, it's amazing how they are night a and day looking at a real aircraft compared to one in FSX though haha

now the Level D sims, those are amazing!

id love to answer any questions you have!

Just bought the ASA IP trainer. Over 130 different lessons. The graphics aren't much, but it is after all, an IFR simulator. Will "flying" this transfer over in a real plane? Who knows. But if nothing else you can practice your scan and learn some instrument procedures. No you can't log the time, but it does help pass the time.

Couple old screenshots from FS-2004:

SS2.jpg

SS1.jpg

Yep.

go to www.vatsim.net for the most realistic experience.

Also look around on some forums and websites to make an "ok" sim (out of the box) into something that can't get to much better.

There is an update or "addon" for just about every single aspect of the simulator.

If you like airliners, www.precisionmanuals.com you will want to head over there.

A few random shots from me.

Scrshot4574.jpg
744 landing at LFPG

Scrshot4756.jpg
Level-D 763 parked at LHR for some fly in (all the traffic you see is online, not AI)

Scrshot2220.jpg

Image_070320_204619.jpg

Scrshot4525.jpg

Yep.

go to www.vatsim.net for the most realistic experience.

Also look around on some forums and websites to make an "ok" sim (out of the box) into something that can't get to much better.

There is an update or "addon" for just about every single aspect of the simulator.

If you like airliners, www.precisionmanuals.com you will want to head over there.

A few random shots from me.

Scrshot4574.jpg
744 landing at LFPG

I've never used it but this shot looks exactly like my office! These sims are pretty impressive, does the FMS work? How about the switches etc.?

I've never used it but this shot looks exactly like my office! These sims are pretty impressive, does the FMS work? How about the switches etc.?

The FMS does work--fairly well, as a matter of fact! The only limitations with the FMS are that you can't use ACARS, download winds aloft, and one or two other things. Everything else is available. All of the switches work (with the exception of maybe five). You can even adjust the rudder pedals, move the sunshades up and down, and rotate a can of soda back and forth.

It helped with flight training a lot more than I realized it would.

Before I even began flying lessons, I had learned through flight sim on the computer all about different angles of attack (mushiness at high, relationship with lift and drag, etc.), I knew how to navigate with VOR and ADF, I knew where to look on the basic instrument six-pack for my speed or altitude, I knew how runways were labeled and what the general layout of airports looked like, and many other things.

You can't get the stick and rudder feel for the airplane out of it but you can get so many other things that can later on can literally shave thousands of dollars off of your flight training costs.

The FMS does work--fairly well, as a matter of fact! The only limitations with the FMS are that you can't use ACARS, download winds aloft, and one or two other things. Everything else is available.

Don't feel bad, I can't download winds aloft with the real thing. Of course, I only fly those "domestic" 75s and 76s, not the "real" ones that Dough gets to fly.:whatever:

Of course, I do have an AE pref for the ER, maybe one day.....unless I get displaced to MSP, DET, or MEM DC9B. ;)

Oh ya, full FMS, EICAS, ND, IRS, fuel, hydraulics, APU, bleed systems, overhead, every switch and button on there works. Failures are modeled, CATIII autolands are realistic, uhhh, really I cant think of it all, but it does it all. :) After flying it for 250 hours or so, and studying the manual (I think its like 400 pages) I was able to get a 76% on a practice written exam for the 744 type license that one of their pilots got for me. :rawk:

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/prod/fs9/744f.html

thats the page for it, it really is amazing how detailed it gets, you would be very suprised if you actually got to fly it on a PC.

A features list from the site -

I went and found a few more screenshots that might give you an idea just how "realistic" this simulation is. Now, go fly them online under "real people" working ATC, and flying real world routes and approach procedures (our Navdata is updated once a month with new SIDs,STARs, routes, approaches, and runway information.

They also make a 736/7/8/9, and an MD-11 now with the same detail and quality.

Scrshot761.jpg

Scrshot808.jpg

Scrshot806.jpg

Yes, all of those are 3D clickable buttons, and do what they are supposed to all around the plane.

Scrshot807.jpg

Scrshot4386.jpg

Scrshot752.jpg

Scrshot760.jpg

"plan" view on the F/o side

Scrshot4696.jpg

Scrshot4194.jpg

Can you find the runway at 150 RA? :buck:

I can't even begin to describe how much the simulator has helped me in my flight training. I just about taught myself IFR (did my first IFR flight when I was 12, and the II didn't have to assist very much at all)

With "condor soaring simulator" (www.condorsoaring.com) I taught myself how to fly a glider cross-country faster (racing.)

Anything that you can do in real life, you can practice on a simulator, to make yourself an all around better, safer pilot.

I have even gone as far as giving 2 presentations in ABQ at the national soaring convention on simulators for use in training, proficiency, and to get experiences and practice you might not get in a real airplane.

Sorry for the ramble, this is just something that I am passionate about and I feel that most of the aviation world hasn't realized its potential.

Sure, out of the box, FS9 and FSX kinda suck. But load it up with some addons like this 744, a good weather program, some nicer scenery, and you can really get a realistic experience.

I was thinking about ASA's "On Top" to knock the rust off my instrument skills. Anyone have any experience with it?

Sure, out of the box, FS9 and FSX kinda suck. But load it up with some addons like this 744, a good weather program, some nicer scenery, and you can really get a realistic experience.

AMEN Curt!

i wish my PC was nice enough to run that stuff!

If you're gonna flight sim go with the one that is most technicaly advanced and FAA approved.

www.x-plane.com/ - 91k

But you cant make something like this 747 for it. The only reasons Microsoft isnt FAA approved, is because it would jack the price up and knock out the "gamer" market.

I was thinking about ASA's "On Top" to knock the rust off my instrument skills. Anyone have any experience with it?

I have used it a few times. But unless you are interested in logging time on it, microsoft will do just fine. You can fly every approach in the world, and there are hundreds if not thousands of places and planes that you can fly. ASA didn't really "handle" well to me. I found it very hard and unnatural to fly.

Back